• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Congrats to the Black Caps, took advantadge of dodgy conditions and wern't put off by what would have been a sub-standard score on any other pitch.

White Lion

Cricket Spectator
it's official -the saffers have lost! Same problems as eng really -top order couldn't find enough runs to give em a chance. Patel and Vettori 10 gold stars each -maybe Smith overbowled himself in the first innings? Shoulda brought back pollock? AH well, is ANYONE gonna reach 200 in this comp?!

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Sure - the pitch was difficult to play on......but plenty of the dismissals were soft. At this level batsman should adjust to the conditions and play more conservatively, with softer hands.

Great stuff from the NZ bowlers.....I used to rubbish Mills all the time, now he's our best bowler behind Vettori. Just don't let him bowl right at the death and he'll be sweet.

Fleming's ODI & test averages have been improving the past 3-4 years.....if Tazz can't find a better batsman in NZ to replace him and the job he does then I think she should shut-it, some of her criticisms were unjustly harsh.

This great victory almost makes me forgot about Bond's new injury :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whatever happened to flat Indian tracks? A bit of dew & they're suddenly like Fenners in May! Lovely bit of seam bowling from Mills first up; his ball that came back into Gibbs was an absolute jaffa, even if the batter might've done a bit better with it.

Also nice to see Patel amongst the wickets: Powar, Dalrymple & now Jetan; the orthodox offie revival continues apace!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Poor showing by the South Africans, yes these Indian wickets so far have not been the best in the world for stroke players but some of the shot selection and thought process of the batsman was lubricious today. At least sixteen of the twenty wickets that fell were solely down to poor batsmanship. Well done New Zealand however and Stephen Fleming, he won the game for his side.

Let’s just hope the wickets from now on improve or the batsman develop some grit and testicles.

Also poor showing from Smith bemoaning the wicket after the loss, if you had batted first you would have probably won the game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Whatever happened to flat Indian tracks? A bit of dew & they're suddenly like Fenners in May! Lovely bit of seam bowling from Mills first up; his ball that came back into Gibbs was an absolute jaffa, even if the batter might've done a bit better with it.

Also nice to see Patel amongst the wickets: Powar, Dalrymple & now Jetan; the orthodox offie revival continues apace!
Don't forget Smith! Got ridiculous amount of turn today, sure the pitch went square but he beat Stephen Fleming god knows how many times. If he can get a bit of control and an arm ball he could be a very handy bowler, spins it more than any other South African I have seen recently.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I blame the ball, even Peterson took wickets..

Saw Kyle Mills run the ball through his hair, reckon Peterson must have taken a dump on it..

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Did anyone see fulton connect with the ball when given out? Also I struggled to see where Oram hit the ball for his dismissal.....

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I fully did not expect this sort of game, could be a bowler's paradise in this tournament. Good to see Fleming in the runs, and Patel, Mills and Oram in the wickets. Promising start for NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ could have got more than 195. Astle in particular played a horrendous shot and Marshall wasn't much better. But as I said, NZ have won without Bond before and they did it again today.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It has been shown before that South Africa cannot bat in these conditions. 2 years ago when NZ played 2 ODI's at Eden Park the pitch there was almost identical to the one played on last night in Mumbai. NZ scored 190 odd on both occassions I recall and South Africa failed to reach either target.
They are really going to struggle if they have to play on similar pitches particularly against Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka will be tough in these conditions I think. At the moment I reckon NZ & S.L will go through. But im just waiting to see how Pakistan play in their first match.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
TazzX said:
There is nothing good about Fleming.
Aside from the three double centuries? Honestly, come up with something a bit better than that. Yes, he's got his failings, but to suggest he's going to be forgotten when he retires is complete codswallop.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
TT Boy said:
Some of the shot selection and thought process of the batsman was lubricious today.
Come again?

lu‧bri‧cious /luˈbrɪʃəs/ [loo-brish-uhs]
–adjective
1. arousing or expressive of ***ual desire; lustful; lecherous.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So that explains why Nathan Astle and Hamish Marshall were so keen to get back to the pavilion!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I love these wickets. Absolutely love them.

I will laugh my face off when Sehwag's stumps go reeling because he has no idea what footwork is.

These pitches are great for cricket. It separates the batsmen from the flat-track-bullies. I think that for every match with a 350+ score, you need a match with a sub 200 score.

Otherwise, bowlers are just there as fodder.