• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs. Australia, 21st Sept

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
Vaughan... since when could he bowl. Prrft...
Well he has to do something to justify his spot in the team, since our friend Scallywag has decided he's a useless captain.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
Already too many though IMO, cant see us making 200
From the position they were in with 11 overs left, I think we can be glad to restrict them to around the 250-260 mark.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have no idea whether the Australian attack will be too strong for England on this pitch or not.

England have performed much, much better with the ball than I thought they would, though. There's not a lot of pace in the track, but I cannot recall a single ball which swung or seamed in the whole 50 overs (Giles got a couple to turn slowly).

I'd have taken 260 to win - I suspect Vaughan would have snatched your hand off for it. As I suggested some time ago, the talk was of this being a 300 track.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
From the position they were in with 11 overs left, I think we can be glad to restrict them to around the 250-260 mark.
Oh yes, make no mistake about it we did well at the end and overall that score represents a decent bowling performance but i just dont think our batting will be good enough.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
superkingdave said:
Oh yes, make no mistake about it we did well at the end and overall that score represents a decent bowling performance but i just dont think our batting will be good enough.
Strauss is due a score...

(hey, it worked with Tresco against the Sri Lankans...) ;)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The twirlers could be the key today methinks.
Well 20 overs were bowled by Vaughan and Giles, Australia have Lehmann, Symonds and Clarke (to be used in that order i would guess!)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
Already too many though IMO, cant see us making 200
Relax Mate !!Don't give up so easily !! :D Lee usually gets hit in ODIs. I think Lehman and Symonds will bowl their full quota (seeing Vaughan and Giles bowl so well).

So all England need is two good batsmen to get set in and play Kaspar, Gillespie and Mc Grath's first few overs carefully without losing too many wickets. I guess if they preserve their wickets early the runs will come by later !! (At least something they can try :p without showing :surrender the white flag already :laugh: )

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On this wicket I think England should have 60 up in the first 15 overs without too much difficulty, unlike other pitches the first 15 overs weren't really tough to bat in.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
well batted M.Clarke - a bit fortunate early but hey, that's the way it goes.
Exactly.

He was quite devastating in the end - not quite Freddie devastating but very impressive

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Exactly.

He was quite devastating in the end - not quite Freddie devastating but very impressive
Yeah, he doesn't really possess the power Freddy has, good at working it around in the same way Bevan used to. Cops a lot of flack too......haha.