• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

Shady Slim

International Coach
Is Anderson even close to them. I think the comparison perfectly highlights why spam is not equal to quality.
i'm in the no camp, but imho it's a bit unfair to say jimmeh's wickets are on the basis of spam given he's a pacer rather than an off spinner or a batsman

Victor Ian

International Coach
Forget number of tests and wickets. How many pace bowlers have had a 20+ year career?
How many model t Ford's are still running.

If you classify ATG as durability to last forever while not being a regular matchwinner, then fine, rate Anderson.

A number of ATG bowlers have gone near 20 years, and the only reason they didn't continue past 20 was because, at the time, it was in vogue to gtfo rather than keep coming back for fewer returns year after year.

Shady Slim

International Coach
only on cricketweb can the 3rd highest test wicket taker of all time not be considered an atg in definite terms and i say this as someone who memes on Anderson
i think the no camp is justifiable if and only if you subscribe to Shady Slim Thought and hold the mediocre record against aus against him with extreme prejudice

Molehill

International Captain

If you classify ATG as durability to last forever while not being a regular matchwinner, then fine, rate Anderson.

A number of ATG bowlers have gone near 20 years, and the only reason they didn't continue past 20 was because, at the time, it was in vogue to gtfo rather than keep coming back for fewer returns year after year.
How many Model T Fords can match the speed of a Formula 1 car?

A reminder, Anderson from the age of 35 equals the same as the entire career of Pat Cummins!!

Or another good one for you, Anderson between the age of 35-40 took more wickets than Bumrah's entire career so far (at only 1 run higher average).

It's fun picking current ATG's and then mocking them with Jimmy's later work.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Ignore longevity. Treat him as a bowler who took 500+ wickets @ under 24 in a 13 year period. That's Shaun Pollock level of output. Anderson's additional years only add to his overall contribution. If Pollock is an ATG (or Walsh for that matter), so is Anderson.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How many Model T Fords can match the speed of a Formula 1 car?

A reminder, Anderson from the age of 35 equals the same as the entire career of Pat Cummins!!

Or another good one for you, Anderson between the age of 35-40 took more wickets than Bumrah's entire career so far (at only 1 run higher average).

It's fun picking current ATG's and then mocking them with Jimmy's later work.
Yeah...and I'm not convinced Cummins and Bumrah are ATG. I think the current crop of 'ATG' bowlers are all riding on the backs of the new crop of groundsmen.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah...and I'm not convinced Cummins and Bumrah are ATG. I think the current crop of 'ATG' bowlers are all riding on the backs of the new crop of groundsmen.
They may not be ATG's but the fact you can take the last few years of Anderson and compare against their entire careers kind of outlines his greatness.

Here's another one, Hazlewood has 273 wickets at 24.8 from 70 Tests. The last 8 years sees Anderson with 267 wickets at 22.2.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Ignore longevity. Treat him as a bowler who took 500+ wickets @ under 24 in a 13 year period. That's Shaun Pollock level of output. Anderson's additional years only add to his overall contribution. If Pollock is an ATG (or Walsh for that matter), so is Anderson.
Except neither of them had multiple countries they were so **** in