• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was WI ATG team overhyped?

Xix2565

International Debutant
How can you say that people don't want to fight it out anymore? Like seriously? Couldn't you say the same about players in the past just giving up when seeing X great player against them?

Xix2565

International Debutant
Why don’t you guys try to find a middle ground , rather than just repeating same thing again and again.
There isn't a middle ground when people decide that the more dominant factor of the bat and ball contest is irrelevant when judging batting.

Sunil1z

International Regular
How can you say that people don't want to fight it out anymore? Like seriously? Couldn't you say the same about players in the past just giving up when seeing X great player against them?
Have seen many teams imploding once they are much behind in a Test match .

Xix2565

International Debutant
Happened in the past as well.
Watching cricket. This isn't a controversial take its been pretty widely accepted for a while.

Why are you guys trying to deny it? I don't get it
It being widely accepted doesn't make it a good take when you decide not to back it up really. Or consider that batters tend to look worse when the situation (players/skills/conditions) makes bowling incredibly threatening.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
It’s pretty obvious from watching that batting is also just significantly harder now than it was in the 2000s. That’s the main reason behind lower batting averages.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Watching cricket. This isn't a controversial take its been pretty widely accepted for a while.

Why are you guys trying to deny it? I don't get it
What do you mean by “ you guys “ ? There are grand total of 2 posters disagreeing with you .

Sunil1z

International Regular
It’s pretty obvious from watching that batting is also just significantly harder now than it was in the 2000s. That’s the main reason behind lower batting averages.
This is also a major factor. But here on this forum I feel both sides stick to their guns without conceding even a little.

Socerer 01

International Captain
2 of the top 10 highest run chases in test history have happened in this decade despite there being 5 and a half years more to go. 2 more happened in the last decade. we’ve also had 2 of the greatest test knocks by Perera and Stokes when most people thought the test was done for and we’ve had many famous run chases like Pant at Gabba, Cummins in Ashes 1st test

sorry but its a boomer take to say that players nowadays are mentally inferior or something

Xix2565

International Debutant
How do you concede the point of certain batting skills degrading over time without feeling dumb? Does that mean this sport not know how to develop future talent at all? Seems bizarre to say this really.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Batting average in 90s : 29.5
Batting average since 2018 : 28.5
this is being used to diss on current day batting while current day bowling average drops are being explained by them benefitting from bowler friendly pitches

its the same circular logic of current era batsmen are **** and bowlers are **** at the end

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yea I think most people apart from kyear agree that it’s a much harder era.
i think that dude is just too attached to his favourite team being great in the 80s and then declining afterwards in his favourite format so he continues to romanticise it as a coping mechanism

he’s probably got me on ignore by now for bursting his bubble and catching him saying different things in different threads so he aint gonna see this anyways :lol:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this is being used to diss on current day batting while current day bowling average drops are being explained by them benefitting from bowler friendly pitches

its the same circular logic of current era batsmen are **** and bowlers are **** at the end
I don't get this? "diss on current day batting"? Why would anyone do this?

It's just an observable thing, not an "argument" some dudes on a website come up with for an agenda

I feel like I'm missing some context in this discussion

Socerer 01

International Captain
I don't get this? "diss on current day batting"? Why would anyone do this?

It's just an observable thing, not an "argument" some dudes on a website come up with for an agenda

I feel like I'm missing some context in this discussion
im not directing this at u tbh, more with the nostalgia merchants who think cricket peaked decades ago and we’ve regressed since then in defiance of development in every other sport

fwiw i dont fully agree with your point that only a minority of players nowadays are developed to handle test cricket because that isnt the case in India at all but i can see the merit in it. personally i think its down more to constantly having to adapt between formats and its proven by the lack of players you can call as great in all three formats at the same point in time

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
im not directing this at u tbh, more with the nostalgia merchants who think cricket peaked decades ago and we’ve regressed since then in defiance of development in every other sport
It's not regression in general. I'm sure most would agree the standard overall is probably higher than it's ever been. But it's a changing in focus. Test batsmanship, handling a variety of conditions, survival and accumulation has regressed a bit whereas ball striking and variety of stroke play has improved massively.

Sunil1z

International Regular
It's not regression in general. I'm sure most would agree the standard overall is probably higher than it's ever been. But it's a changing in focus. Test batsmanship, handling a variety of conditions, survival and accumulation has regressed a bit whereas ball striking and variety of stroke play has improved massively.
That is also down to Teams not playing warm up games and Warm up pitches being completely different to actual pitches .