• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was WI ATG team overhyped?

Xix2565

International Debutant
Aus 79/80, Eng 80/81 and Pak 80/81 were all strong teams beaten by WI.
How does that affect my point? You named just 3 teams, of whom probably 1-2 would be considered strong nowadays. The rest were still weak right? That helps with being dominant.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I've also consistently asked, when it's mentioned that this is a bowler era, if it is or just poor batsmen trined in T20 cricket who don't know how to build innings.
90% of the batters playing now and since 2018 have decent FC records. Might as well question older players on whether they were lucky to get picked by feasting on noobs in FC then. It's a stupid suggestion.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
90% of the batters playing now and since 2018 have decent FC records. Might as well question older players on whether they were lucky to get picked by feasting on noobs in FC then. It's a stupid suggestion.
It's not a stupid suggestion, and I see your unrefined skills of human engagement haven't improved.

Watching some of the non top tier batsmen the past decade and especially recently, the batting approach has been less than inspiring in the least opportune moments.

Xix2565

International Debutant
It's not a stupid suggestion, and I see your unrefined skills of human engagement haven't improved.

Watching some of the non top tier batsmen the past decade and especially recently, the batting approach has been less than inspiring in the least opportune moments.
It is stupid because you assume that people being picked in Tests have somehow regressed in terms of skills and technique just because of a different format. It's not intelligent at all to be honest. I really don't see how assuming things have gone backwards is something that makes any sense.

So? Wouldn't that have been the case in the past as well? Were people somehow more inspiring with the bat when getting bullied by WI pace or McGrath/Warne? Or even in general?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Test batting in general has regressed a bit since the 90s and early 00s. Basically since T20s became big.

It's probably because back then the best potential batsmen had their games refined to long form cricket, now it's split with a lot of the best emerging players developing a game built around T20s

Socerer 01

International Captain

cute insult but it doesnt change the fact that its due to pitches becoming more spicy and bowling attacks being stronger overall nowadays, its also partly why its difficult to stand out as exceptional when everyone’s really good

Xix2565

International Debutant
I just don't buy it. Seems a lot like having a conclusion and trying to bend everything into place just for it to make sense. Especially when you use the best batting pitches era to make that conclusion, as if people scoring when it was easier to score makes them more skillful.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I think Test batting in general has regressed a bit since the 90s and early 00s. Basically since T20s became big.

It's probably because back then the best potential batsmen had their games refined to long form cricket, now it's split with a lot of the best emerging players developing a game built around T20s
the only change i’ve noticed with my agricultural and untrained eyes is batsmen lacking concentration to an extent compared to the previous players and im still most likely talking **** here

the other culprit is players being forced to adapt to 3 formats on the fly constantly. the list of current batsmen who have a decent average in all 3 formats must be very low

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
the only change i’ve noticed with my agricultural and untrained eyes is batsmen lacking concentration to an extent compared to the previous players and im still most likely talking **** here

the other culprit is players being forced to adapt to 3 formats on the fly constantly. the list of current batsmen who have a decent average in all 3 formats must be very low
What are agricultural eyes?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

It's been fairly obvious to observe, nothing controversial about it.

TheJediBrah

Techniques are definitely worse for dealing with the moving ball. Younger players coming through the last decade and a half or so have developed styles more suited to hitting through the line on true pitches, which makes them more effective white ball hitters but more vulnerable when there's anything in the wicket.

I really thought this was widely accepted tbh

Socerer 01

International Captain
Techniques are definitely worse for dealing with the moving ball. Younger players coming through the last decade and a half or so have developed styles more suited to hitting through the line on true pitches, which makes them more effective white ball hitters but more vulnerable when there's anything in the wicket.

I really thought this was widely accepted tbh
this is mainly true for white ball hitters like the ones England flooded their odi team with, not the case with every batsman out there tbh

TheJediBrah

this is mainly true for white ball hitters like the ones England flooded their odi team with, not the case with every batsman out there tbh
No there are still quality Test players coming through but the point is the talent is split now. It used to be almost every bat coming through was developed with the aim for Test cricket. Now it's a minority and the results are showing in all teams with Test batting lineups less adaptable to bowling-helpful conditions

Socerer 01

International Captain
No there are still quality Test players coming through but the point is the talent is split now. It used to be almost every bat coming through was developed with the aim for Test cricket. Now it's a minority and the results are showing in all teams with Test batting lineups less adaptable to bowling-helpful conditions
this is offset by more players coming through in general, i still dont think its a minority only being developed with a main aim for tests, at least that isnt the case in India and i doubt its the case in England either

TheJediBrah

this is offset by more players coming through in general
It's not though. Test batting line ups are noticeably different in their strengths and weaknesses. This isn't in people's imaginations, or the result of looking back with rose-tinted glasses

Sunil1z

International Regular
Batting average in 90s : 29.5
Batting average since 2018 : 28.5

I would say it is combination of
1. Pitches getting more bowler friendly in general
2. Players don’t want to fight it out anymore when things are not in their favour.