• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think even what he admitted to doing clearly meets the dictionary definition even if apparently not the legal one, but players do read the forum so I worry about defamation implications sometimes. There are probably less dicey ways to call him out.
This is exactly my point. Condemn away, I certainly do. But I wouldn't be using that word when he was not convicted of it. It's a digital footprint

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Still of the view his speed doesn't make up for the lack of movement he gets and as such is a very hittable bowler.
He will get some variation through occassional seam movement and that might be enough to get some poles. I have more faith in him getting wickets than Henry at 128kms.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Is there really no other cricketer who can bowl fast who isn't Kuggs? Like for real? Does Kugg have criminal connections to keep whacking all his competitors' backs and thighs?

Chubb

International Regular
Let’s pick an alleged rapist over the hard working decent young men who have impressed in FC recently, sure great idea NZC.

Initially this post was about Nathan Smith but as far as I know every other bowler in NZ FC is a better person than Kuggs.

It goes against every fibre of my being to support Aus over NZ. But if Kuggs plays I will.

If Henry is out for a while it might bring Smith into the equation but I now think it will need Southee retiring before he gets a shot and even then the coach will have to change.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
He faced his accuser in a court of law and was found not guilty
What do you want him to do now
Phone the police and say the judge made a mistake and volunteer for 18 months community service ?
Justice has been applied to his case and that should be the end of it. He told the full truth in the trial. He would have accepted what ever decision was rendered.
No flames please just my view
I will be supporting him if he is selected
I deleted my earlier post as I was worried about how to word this legally. I am sure he regrets everything that happened and would take it back if he could. Some mistakes you can’t turn back the clock on and just have to live with and make the most of the rest of your life.

thundaboult

International Debutant
ugh so a 30+ kuggs who gets hit for 60+ in a final, has been bowling 130ish for a while now gets picked....ok sure he did well against aussie-a and the early ps rounds ... fine fine cool

jamiesons done, now henry injured .... yeah lol cometh the aussie series cometh the injuries to our kiwi boys...fannntastic

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phone the police and say the judge made a mistake and volunteer for 18 months community service ?
Justice has been applied to his case and that should be the end of it. He told the full truth in the trial. He would have accepted what ever decision was rendered.
I deleted my earlier post as I was worried about how to word this legally. I am sure he regrets everything that happened and would take it back if he could. Some mistakes you can’t turn back the clock on and just have to live with and make the most of the rest of your life.
A public apology would be nice, maybe some compensation for women's groups, since there is absolutely skeevy stuff that he admitted to doing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Unacceptable behaviour, particularly in role models, doesn't simply begin at a conviction for rape. He was found not guilty of that, fine.

However, what he admitted to in court does not to my mind reach appropriate standards of behaviour in any way. In his own words:

"When asked about the complainant's evidence that she said "no" "dozens of times", he said it was "a lie". "I tried [having ***] twice, like she might have said 'no, no' a few times but it wasn't dozens of times."

How many nos are required?

And as a result, NZC's position of not making any statement at all about his behaviour is not a neutral approach. It is tantamount to saying that such behaviour is acceptable as it hasn't been broached.

Flem274*

123/5
From a purely merit based perspective...

Kuggs can bowl test spells. The issue through his career has been his variance between 145kph awkward length with seam movement and floaty 130kph stuff.

I'm not concerned about getting hit in franchise stuff - it happens to everyone and is completely independent of test quality bowling - I'm more interested to see if he's found consistency in rhythm.

I think it would be a brave call for a fan to make (I would go with Dougeh or Smith as pace bowling allrounders or throw Fergudonl/Hazeldine/Sears in for raw and unscouted pace for the latter two) but I assume Wells has watched him bowl multiple times this season.

HeathDavisSpeed

Overall, I'm pretty ****ing tired of this. We've had all these posts already last year when he was selected. NZC (and Kuggeleijn) continue to sustain a position of silence and we're all supposed to be happy with this? Where's the contrition? Where's the apology for what he did admit to and all the victim blaming tropes that he brought to the fore in the case (provocative dress, alcohol consumption etc.)?

EDIT: I've got tickets to bring my daughters to the Basin test on the Saturday. ****'s sake - I don't want them to be seen by NZC as examples that the world has moved on from this and that the test is a rip-roaring success if he's selected. ****ing wankers.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Overall, I'm pretty ****ing tired of this. We've had all these posts already last year when he was selected. NZC (and Kuggeleijn) continue to sustain a position of silence and we're all supposed to be happy with this? Where's the contrition? Where's the apology for what he did admit to and all the victim blaming tropes that he brought to the fore in the case (provocative dress, alcohol consumption etc.)?
Exactly. And in some of those previous cases, NZC were actively deleting critical comments on their posts about squads he'd been selected in.