• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ben Stokes an ATG test cricketer?

Is Ben Stokes an ATG test cricketer?

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Averaged 47 at a SR of 82. He absolutely was.
He absolutely wasn’t, and you know it. Nobody’s downplaying him or what he accomplished, in fact I doubt you’d find a single person here who isn’t a fan of Gilly, but for some reason you can’t accept a simple truth.

Unless you have some ridiculously low bar for ATG bats (are there more than 50 in your mind?), but hey, thats your right.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It just hit me (pun intended) that Stokes is going to go Adam Hollioake and try a fighting career post cricket isn't he

If his body isn't already ****ed enough

bagapath

International Captain
Gilly will be a top 40 batsman in test cricket history. And that is ATG level for sure.

Way above him:
Bradman/ Hobbs/ Hutton/ Hammond/ Sobers/ Richards/ Tendulkar/ Lara/ G Chappell/ Gavaskar

Comfortably above him:
S Smith/ Ponting/Dravid/ Kallis/ Sangakara/Miandad/ Weekes/ Border/ S Waugh/ Younis/ G Pollock/ Headley

Marginally above him:
Williamson/ Inzy/ Root/ Kohli/ Harvey/

In his league:
Mahela/ Clarke/ Hayden/ Chanderpaul/ Compton/Sehwag/ G Smith/ A Flower / ABDV/ Walcott/ Worrell/ Greenidge/ Crowe/ Laxman

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilly will be a top 40 batsman in test cricket history. And that is ATG level for sure.

Way above him:
Bradman/ Hobbs/ Hutton/ Hammond/ Sobers/ Richards/ Tendulkar/ Lara/ G Chappell/ Gavaskar

Comfortably above him:
S Smith/ Ponting/Dravid/ Kallis/ Sangakara/Miandad/ Weekes/ Border/ S Waugh/ Younis/ G Pollock/ Headley

Marginally above him:
Williamson/ Inzy/ Root/ Kohli/ Harvey/

In his league:
Mahela/ Clarke/ Hayden/ Chanderpaul/ Compton/Sehwag/ G Smith/ A Flower / ABDV/ Walcott/ Worrell/ Greenidge/ Crowe/ Laxman
Comfortably underrating Walcott at the very least.

Others who are definitely ahead of him off the top of my head (I would also include some of the players you consider as “in his league”)

Boycott, Nourse, Barrington, Simpson, Sutcliffe, May, McCabe, Trumper, Hill

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a great admirer of Gilchrist but judging him purely on his batting and ranking him Top 40 flies in the face of most cricket followers as is witnessed by the CW Top 50 Test batsmen poll conducted a couple of years back. He didn't make the list and, if my memory serves me well, wasn't getting votes for the final few places.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He absolutely wasn’t, and you know it. Nobody’s downplaying him or what he accomplished, in fact I doubt you’d find a single person here who isn’t a fan of Gilly, but for some reason you can’t accept a simple truth.

Unless you have some ridiculously low bar for ATG bats (are there more than 50 in your mind?), but hey, thats your right.
How do I “know it”?

there’s no “simple truth” I can’t accept. He was a guy averaging almost fifty with a SR of 82. Of all the elite bats, ever, only Sehwag is in that sort of SR territory.

Surely it doesn’t need to be explained here what the significance of that is

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sad that on a thread entitled "Is Ben Stokes an ATG Test Cricketer" that you feel the need to highlight the name Stokes when responding.

Why can't Gilly **** off and get his own thread?
Thread hasn't been invented/discovered in Australia yet.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Sad that on a thread entitled "Is Ben Stokes an ATG Test Cricketer" that you feel the need to highlight the name Stokes when responding.

Why can't Gilly **** off and get his own thread?
A comparison or discussion thread isn’t truly great until its completely derailed at some point.

How do I “know it”?

there’s no “simple truth” I can’t accept. He was a guy averaging almost fifty with a SR of 82. Of all the elite bats, ever, only Sehwag is in that sort of SR territory.

Surely it doesn’t need to be explained here what the significance of that is
Because SR isn’t the be all and end all, he had only an 8 year career in the easiest batting era of all time and record still doesn’t compare favourably with actual ATGs from worse batting eras, nor others from his own era who had longer careers and in worse batting conditions. Anyway I agree, too off topic, won’t be making further posts on him in this thread.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Dale steyn
He (Stokes) probably is to a lot of England fans for mainly sentimental reasons, but I doubt many others elsewhere in the world feel the same.
Dale Steyn on commentary has said he'd have Stokes in his team over Kallis and hinted that a lot of other retired international pros share similar opinions.