• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four Eras Test Draft

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Query came because in my team After No. 6 Imran Khan , I don’t have any batsmen or all rounder apart from Gubby Allen, so logic makes me pick him at 7. But he averages exceptionally at number 9! So im in doubt whether to place pure bolwers ahead of him or to move as per logic
OK I missed this part when I first responded. If selected as a bowler their batting position doesn't matter as much, who ever the better batsman bat's lower in the order. Modern bowlers generally can Bat thus in games like this you will have someone like Boult or Leach that bat's 10 or 11 for their teams but can easily bat 8 for a team with bowlers from the 60s. Also a bowling all rounder might carry more weight for a drafter and thus have 2 or 3 bowlers who can Bat on top of a lot valuing a batting all rounder like Kallis or Sobers this lengthening the batting lineup. If their main function is bowling it measured on that for me personally however I'll sacrafice a bit of bowling to have at least a number 8 and 9 that can stick around as most my teams will have a aggressive late order as personall preference

Teuton

International Captain
Another non-canon* pick with Dick Lilley (pre WWI).

*to borrow someone else's term earlier. These picks makes this draft more interesting imho

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Query came because in my team After No. 6 Imran Khan , I don’t have any batsmen or all rounder apart from Gubby Allen, so logic makes me pick him at 7. But he averages exceptionally at number 9! So im in doubt whether to place pure bolwers ahead of him or to move as per logic
I definitely give more credit to a proper batting order than a singular batsman's position. I mean, if Viv Richards or Sachin Tendulkar opens in someone's team, it would rub the wrong way; but not as much if I see Imran batting after Akram because he has better average at no. 8...... The latter is much worse. And I particularly don't put too much thought on someone being out of position if not like some non opener is opening or something.

Teuton

International Captain
Len Hutton c
Herbie Taylor
Rohan Kanhai
Everton Weekes
AB de Villiers
Shakib al Hasan
Jack Gregory
Mike Procter
Wasim Akram
Dick Lilley wk
Hedley Verity

Now i know how HB feels. All-rounder heavy with a star Top 5 and 5 bowlers ranging from world class to ATG. Batting to 11.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
By my reckoning we have 2 'Mini-drafts' to complete:

Pre WWI: @Patience and Accuracy+Gut; Pothas & Teuton (together); Bitmap

Between the Wars: @Silver Silva; Himannv; Cricket Bliss
The first two have about 5 hours left on the clock (since Red made his selection)

I'm looking for suggestions for how to run the voting. Options are (i) All 16 in together; (ii) Two groups of 8 with 2 (or 4) from each advancing; (iii) 4 groups of 4 with 1 (or 2) from each advancing

I also thought of having a voting panel of drafters from outside this draft (eg CricAddict, Boy Brumby etc) making the decision.
(i) I think voting for all 16 teams at once is a bit tough as it becomes a rigorous task to look at 16 different teams and evaluate each individually. The first few and the last few may get some extra votes by some lazy voters in this manner.
(ii) Better but I think the problem persists
(iii) I think this is the easiest for the voters and is fun in it's own right, building up anticipation for the big final.

Himannv

International Coach
Len Hutton c
Herbie Taylor
Rohan Kanhai
Everton Weekes
AB de Villiers
Shakib al Hasan
Jack Gregory
Mike Procter
Wasim Akram
Dick Lilley wk
Hedley Verity

Now i know how HB feels. All-rounder heavy with a star Top 5 and 5 bowlers ranging from world class to ATG. Batting to 11.
Not enough bowling options in my view. Need some Katich and Watto to balance it all out.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Seeing that everyone is done . This was an incredible draft however something that is very strange to me is the players still left out. So an alternative team of non picket players . Its not perfect and taking some liberty with the bowling lineup with a lot of options but still a decent team

An alternative 11 .

1) Tom Hayward(Pre WW1)
2) John(Jack) Fingleton (Between Wars)
3) Ted Dexter (WWII -WSC)
4) Michael Clarke Post WSC
5)Jonny Bairstow POST WSC
6) Robert Wyatt (between Wars)
7) Andrew Flintoff Post WSC
8) George Giffen (Pre WW1)
9) Tich Freeman(Between Wars)
10) Wess Hall (WWII -WSC)
11) Lance Gibbs (WWII -WSC)

There are still many great cricketers out there especially After world war 2 till present . Must give a honorable mention to Rod Marsh , i really wanted to use him but couldn't fit him in .

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Seeing that everyone is done . This was an incredible draft however something that is very strange to me is the players still left out. So an alternative team of non picket players . Its not perfect and taking some liberty with the bowling lineup with a lot of options but still a decent team

An alternative 11 .

1) Tom Hayward(Pre WW1)
2) John(Jack) Fingleton (Between Wars)
3) Ted Dexter (WWII -WSC)
4) Michael Clarke Post WSC
5)Jonny Bairstow POST WSC
6) Robert Wyatt (between Wars)
7) Andrew Flintoff Post WSC
8) George Giffen (Pre WW1)
9) Tich Freeman(Between Wars)
10) Wess Hall (WWII -WSC)
11) Lance Gibbs (WWII -WSC)

There are still many great cricketers out there especially After world war 2 till present . Must give a honorable mention to Rod Marsh , i really wanted to use him but couldn't fit him in .
Looks interesting; let me try to make an alternative to this alternative draft:

01. Vinoo Mankad (WWII-WSC)
02. Plum Warner (pre WWI)
03. Johnny Tyldesly (pre WWI)
04. Alan Melville (Between Wars) (c)
05. Inzamam Ul Haq (post WSC)
06. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (post WSC)
07. John Waite (WWII-WSC) (wk)
08. Ted McDonald (Between Wars)
09. Bill Voce (Between Wars)
10. Erapalli Prasanna (WWII-WSC)
11. Shoaib Akhtar (post WSC)

There a still a no. of players I could had taken:
Pre WWI: Billy Barnes, Percy Sherwell, Colin Blythe, Bobby Peel, Plum Warner, Jimmy Sinclair
Between Wars: Jack Cowie, C K Nayudu, Lala Amarnath, Amar Singh
WWII-WSC: Tom Graveney, Trevor Goddard, Eddie Barlow, Alvin Kalicharan, Lawrence Rowe, Vijay Hazare, Charlie Griffith, Graham McKenzie, Ian Chappell, Chandrashekhar, Bedi, etc..
Post WSC: Aravinda De Silva, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, V V S Laxman, Stuart Broad, Chamunda Vaas, Saqlain Mushtaq, Daniel Vettori, B J Watling, Ben Stokes, Herath, Jayawardene, Gower, Kirsten, Streak, etc.

Last edited:

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Looks interesting; let me try to make an alternative to this alternative draft:

01. Alan Melville (Between Wars) (c)
02. Warren Bardsley (pre WWI)
03. Johnny Tyldesly (pre WWI)
04. Colin Cowdrey (WWII-WSC)
05. Inzamam Ul Haq (post WSC)
06. Ben Stokes (Post WSC)
07. John Waite (WWII-WSC) (wk)
08. Ted McDonald (Between Wars)
09. Bill Voce (Between Wars)
10. Shoaib Akhtar (Post WSC)
11. Bishan Singh Bedi (WWII-WSC)
Making my point still a lot of quality picks and strangely on the previous drafts I've done it didn't feel that way really enjoyed it

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
To all other participants, thanks for making this an easy draft to conduct.

I hoped to make it a fun and interesting exercise and one that allowed many of us to expand our knowledge of some earlier cricketers.

I have decided to divide the 16 teams into 4 groups based on our Round 11 mini-draft and will be asking players to nominate the best teams from each group. This will form the final group for voting.

Thanks again for making this draft an enjoyable (and hopefully successful) one.

Last edited: