• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Other stuff

Tom Flint

International Regular
I like the idea in theory of a wooden spoon tonurnament to give the minnows some more competitive games on the world stage.
But I don't know how that is put together, if it started with semi finals and included the 4 3rd place teams it would likely be Japan, aus, Scotland and Italy which aren't the teams it's designed for.
If you have the 4 last place teams it would be harsh on the 4th place side who miss out.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I like the idea in theory of a wooden spoon tonurnament to give the minnows some more competitive games on the world stage.
But I don't know how that is put together, if it started with semi finals and included the 4 3rd place teams it would likely be Japan, aus, Scotland and Italy which aren't the teams it's designed for.
If you have the 4 last place teams it would be harsh on the 4th place side who miss out.
Well you'd need one for each set of sides, so the last place have a set of games to determine 17-20th, the next up 13-16th and the third placers 9-12th. The losing QFs would presumably also need a plate tournament as well.

In the end it's way too many matches to organise and given the physicality of rugby, I don't think any players should be asked to play matches that aren't really needed.

Tom Flint

International Regular
It would be great to see Namibia, Chile, Uruguay, tonga Romania Georgia Samoa and Portugal in a plate with the qfs to be played midweek in between the weekend main qfs/ semi finals.
But you can't garuntee that these 8 sides will be the ones to finish 4th and 5th in their groups

Molehill

International Captain
Well you'd need one for each set of sides, so the last place have a set of games to determine 17-20th, the next up 13-16th and the third placers 9-12th. The losing QFs would presumably also need a plate tournament as well.

In the end it's way too many matches to organise and given the physicality of rugby, I don't think any players should be asked to play matches that aren't really needed.
They do this in the U19's World Cup, the difference being there's only 12 sides there.

This is the kind of comp that should happen pre World Cup to decide who gets the 13-16 seeds and then do away with 17-20.

ripper868

International Coach
ITV in UK showing some 'classic' matches on another channel throughout the cup, currently got Fiji v Scotland from 2003, winner goes through to the quarters.

Rupeni Caucau really was unstoppable at times.

The game itself has also changed massively, and i think i much prefer the 2003 style vs what we see today.

Also worth noting, this Fiji v Scotland game sold out the SFS, I doubt the same will happen again in 2027 given the current state of the game.

Molehill

International Captain
Also worth noting, this Fiji v Scotland game sold out the SFS, I doubt the same will happen again in 2027 given the current state of the game.
Also worth noting that the crowds have been amazing for this tournament. Absolutely packed houses everywhere and awesome atmospheres. I kind of hope we get a France/Ireland Final, I think it's what it deserves.

Everything the Cricket World Cup is not so far.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is it too easy to get penalties from scrums? SA really seemed to be using it as a penalty generator rather than as a way of restarting play. The penalties that result from a scrim also seem really mystifying from a casual fans perspective. I more less understand all the penalties that result from a ruck or a maul, but at the scrum it often feels like a bit of a black box in the scrum. Dunno what should be done about it, but it can make for very cynical play.

Molehill

International Captain
Is it too easy to get penalties from scrums? SA really seemed to be using it as a penalty generator rather than as a way of restarting play. The penalties that result from a scrim also seem really mystifying from a casual fans perspective. I more less understand all the penalties that result from a ruck or a maul, but at the scrum it often feels like a bit of a black box in the scrum. Dunno what should be done about it, but it can make for very cynical play.
I was pondering mentioning this as I've seen a few talk about it.

Using Saturday as an example, the SA replacements clearly were stronger in the scrum and there's no doubt won some legitimate penalties. However, for the decisive one, it's clear that one of the props is boring in and the penalty should've gone to England. But, because the ref now has an image in his mind of what's going on he gives it the other way. To be honest, it's very poor officiating, but understandable.

If the most you could get from a scrum was a free kick then the shape of front rows would change very quickly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Scrum halves not taking a usable ball out of the scrum because they're trying to milk a penalty is pretty ****ing irritating as well.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Not convinced myself that a scrum penalty on halfway should lead to points but then I've thought for a long time that penalties won outside the 10m should not have the option to kick for goal.

Molehill

International Captain
Scrum halves not taking a usable ball out of the scrum because they're trying to milk a penalty is pretty ****ing irritating as well.
I'd also stop teams building a train at the back of a ruck to allow more space for the scrum half to kick (and England big perpetrators here). Just delays the amount of time it takes for the rolling the ball backwards and prevents a fair chance of blocking it. I'd limit it to one person, speeds game up and gives more chance of blocks.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'd also stop teams building a train at the back of a ruck to allow more space for the scrum half to kick (and England big perpetrators here). Just delays the amount of time it takes for the rolling the ball backwards and prevents a fair chance of blocking it. I'd limit it to one person, speeds game up and gives more chance of blocks.
Caterpillar been used by every team for ages, even in amateur. Once a Caterpillar is formed the 9 has 5 seconds to use it. I've no problem with it was clever initiative by whoever came up with it about 5 years ago imo.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The scrum definitely needs a complete rethink IMO. Almost every single one takes multiple attempts, leads to a penalty or free kick, and forces the referee to make a huge decision on the basis of guesswork.

ripper868

International Coach
The scrum definitely needs a complete rethink IMO. Almost every single one takes multiple attempts, leads to a penalty or free kick, and forces the referee to make a huge decision on the basis of guesswork.
But how else can World Rugby manipulate results? /s

Agree though, it just feels 50/50 most of the time. Needs to be some mechanism for rewarding the boys up front though. What the answer is, I dont know.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@BoyBrumby any thoughts on solutions for the scrum? Since I think you might be our only member of the 1% of rugby fans that understands that part of the game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd turn the clock off until the ball's in for a start. Pretty sure that would cut back on the fannying around. Oh, and start to call crooked feeds too.

Similar to rucks though, reffing them isn't an exact science. There'll always be an element of interpretation except in the most obvious cases.There's maybe an argument to be made for another ref on the opposite side of the scrum or the TMO keeping a closer look out for a prop slipping his bind or refusing to take a square hit.