• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Imran Khan rank?

Where does Imran Khan rank all time as a test cricketer?

• Total voters

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
The fact that he’s atleast a top 5/6 bowler of all time, and far ahead ahead in batting of the others there(Marshall, Mcgrath, Ambrose, Steyn)except Hadlee(who he is still a clearly better batsmen than), and that he accomplished a lot as captain(series in Ind and Eng, tie in WI), makes him top 3, and much closer to Sobers than Sobers is to Bradman.

Qlder

International 12th Man
As Imran is not in a lot of ATG XI's how can he be considered top 10 cricketer? He makes my 2nd ATG XI but he's not in top 10 best cricketers if he can't even make the best team

I'm picking Bradman, Sobers, Gilchrist, Viv Richards, Warne, Botham, Hadlee, Tendulker, etc, etc as more valuable cricketers before Imran

Imran was a great bowler and very good #8 batter, or he was a good #6 batter padding his stats when not bowling. People look at his stats today and forget that

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
As Imran is not in a lot of ATG XI's how can he be considered top 10 cricketer? He makes my 2nd ATG XI but he's not in top 10 best cricketers if he can't even make the best team

I'm picking Bradman, Sobers, Gilchrist, Viv Richards, Warne, Botham, Hadlee, Tendulker, etc, etc as more valuable cricketers before Imran

Imran was a great bowler and very good #8 batter, or he was a good #6 batter padding his stats when not bowling. People look at his stats today and forget that
Botham lol

Qlder

International 12th Man
4 should be the one who failed against the best team of that era not the one who did the best against the best
Probably why this thread belongs in the player comparisons sub-forum. Nit picking stats and player made 'X' vs 'Y' country and made 'A' in 'B' country belongs hidden from those who actually watched them all play 😉

subshakerz

International Coach

Imran makes most ATG XIs but misses a few ATG XI since selectors stupidly give his spot to Wasim for left arm variety, who is inferior in every way.

ma1978

State Captain
Genuine question - I came into my cricket fandom in the early 1990s and vividl6 recall the World Cup well and Imran’s role and in college my Pakistani friends would say sh@t like “we will fight like cornered tigers” whenever they had an excused so clearly he was iconic.

But in his prime, was he perceived as an elite of the elite - you hear fans of the 70s/80s talk about Hadlee, Botham, Gavaskar, Richards, Lillee more than Khan. Was speaking to a member of the NZ team from that time and he definitely rated all those ahead of Khan. Also a lot of Miandad fans in Pakistan hate him. This could be small sample size and selectivity bias.

That said, looking back by weight of statistics, he’s clearly top 5 with 3-5 being Khan, Hadlee and Tendulkar and the order to be debated.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yep, Imran was the 3rd best allrounder in the 70's / early 80's to those of us that actually watched the big 4 play and followed every test. Imran and Hadlee often switched around between #2 and #3
Who was the best all-rounder from mid to late 80s?