• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your top 10 greatest Asian cricketers?

subshakerz

International Coach
Unless the bar for ATGs changes with the entry of n more Todd Murphies there should be no effect on Murali's status.

Murali will still be an ATG, just that there will be more ATGs above him.

It really depends on how you define ATG.
ATG basically means elite of the elite. So as time goes that pool will increase naturally but you can't have criteria that allows more than 2 to 3 entering per category per generation.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali will still be an ATG, just that there will be more ATGs above him.
Yes, so with time it'll be less and less likely that he will be considered for selection in ATG XIs eventually leading to him no longer being an ATG player.

I think we agree it's a dumb criteria.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Isn't that what people have done with Grace. Should be 2nd pick behind bradman, but time and loads of ATGs have rendered him a footnote.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, so with time it'll be less and less likely that he will be considered for selection in ATG XIs eventually leading to him no longer being an ATG player.

I think we agree it's a dumb criteria.
With time meaning like 50 years or so, then it will just be the second ATG XI for ATG consideration.

What is your criteria for ATG consideration?

Xix2565

International Debutant
I love the inclusion of more bowlers - particularly spinners - as Test matchwinners here, even if at the expense of Dravid and Javed Miandad, which I am questionable on. But no Gavaskar? I can't get behind that on a Test players' list.
I mean if I made it a top XI he'd be there lol. You're not wrong though, I preferred to be more balanced with the Test teams being represented and I felt Sangakkara should get a spot over him.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't that what people have done with Grace. Should be 2nd pick behind bradman, but time and loads of ATGs have rendered him a footnote.
That's just the pre war post war split where the game changed too much to be comparable, if something like that happens again then yes. But greats of the Bradman era are still considered greats today.