• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Really enjoyable day at OT and lucky that the rain kept away.

Brilliant innings from YJB but the outstanding performer was Mark Wood again. Let's be honest here, the Aussies just can't cope with his pace.

Khawaja played at a wide one, Smith was out hooking and poor old Travis Head - I don't like using the word scared, but that's how he looked today.

The rain may or may not save the Aussies but to a large degree it doesn't really matter.

Anyone who has watched this series knows who the better side has been and that may well have to be enough for England as rain will almost certainly mean the Aussies retain the Little Urn.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Really enjoyable day at OT and lucky that the rain kept away.

Brilliant innings from YJB but the outstanding performer was Mark Wood again. Let's be honest here, the Aussies just can't cope with his pace.

Khawaja played at a wide one, Smith was out hooking and poor old Travis Head - I don't like using the word scared, but that's how he looked today.

The rain may or may not save the Aussies but to a large degree it doesn't really matter.

Anyone who has watched this series knows who the better side has been and that may well have to be enough for England as rain will almost certainly mean the Aussies retain the Little Urn.
Everyone know England are rightful holders of the urn anyway, so as long as we win at The Oval we remain the genuine champs.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have high hopes for this test thanks to the weather. Though rather than a washout the best possible outcome from here would be to get some play on Sunday and be 9 down at the end of it. Perhaps after England trap Hazlewood plumb in front in the last over but isn't given and they have no reviews left. :laugh:

The it's on to the Oval 2-1.

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
No room in the game for sentiment, unless he takes some wickets this weekend this must be his final test.

A legend but he is absolutely finished, Potts, Robinson and Tongue all offer much more than him atm.
Heresy! How dare you say a word against the top seaming wicket taker of all time :laugh:

Seriously though, I fully agree. I do not want to want to see him go the way of eg Mohammed Ali with his brilliance diminished. At least 20 more wickets are needed to level the series and I do not see him getting 5 at the Oval.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No room in the game for sentiment, unless he takes some wickets this weekend this must be his final test.

A legend but he is absolutely finished, Potts, Robinson and Tongue all offer much more than him atm.
I'm pretty sure Anderson will still be a better bowler than Potts is now when he's 80 years old, but I do have a irrational hatred of Potts.

I do think we have somewhat of a false instinct to automatically ascribe one quiet series to terminal decline based on someone's birth certificate in a way we wouldn't if they had the same series if they were younger ("poor form" in that case, usually), so if he wants to play on for a while he should definitely be considered going forward. But I'd back Broad, Woakes, Wood and Robinson to do better than him in the immediate question of the Oval, unless he turns it around here.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Wood and woakes the absolute game changers this series without them don’t know if England win a test. They’ve got all the important wickets since they’ve been back. There just carrying Anderson at this point stokes been trying to get him wickets after the others have struck but can’t take advantage

ashley bach

International Captain
Frankly if we do get away with this I’d feel guilty. England would have been cheated out of a win.
Yeah England deserve to win this and take it to The Oval 2-2.
Hopefully this'll happen because it would be awful reading on this forum about how the weather saved the ashes for Australia for the next 2 years.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Wood & Haze amazing, Although i support australia but i still feel Its 3 hour window on sunday Late for play possible, with Smithy/ Head out & Carey struggle Eng should level series if Game possible, otherwise,its Shame that Out come of Ashes Trophy not Decides because of Rain God!

If test Draw than aus will keep trophy even loose at oval.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Yeah England deserve to win this and take it to The Oval 2-2.
Hopefully this'll happen because it would be awful reading on this forum about how the weather saved the ashes for Australia for the next 2 years.
2 days are 180 overs i do not think its ever happen in eng >> match wash out 2 days or 135 overs

loterry1994

International Debutant
Wood & Haze amazing, Although i support australia but i still feel Its 3 hour window on sunday Late for play possible, with Smithy/ Head out & Carey struggle Eng should level series if Game possible, otherwise,its Shame that Out come of Ashes Trophy not Decides because of Rain God!

If test Draw than aus will keep trophy even loose at oval.
haze was shocking someone had to take the wickets eventually .