• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Shri

Mr. Glass
Mods should genuinely remove you from this subbie, you’re just here to troll, it’s boring, it’s low brow and it’s frankly ****e. Bad enough we have all the Poundland Burgeys stinking things up
Classy I imagine this is exactly what Ian Bell said after being runout against India to get them to withdraw their appeal

People thinking that some of your players are pathetic bullies and disliking them genuinely is something you just have to deal with ffs

What are mods going to do? Give you hug to make it better? Wtf.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I love England and it's players don't get me wrong.

I'd love to talk life with Zak Crawley and craft beer with Ben Duckett. Ollie Robinson shares my love of history and he could talk to you for hours about Oswald Mosley.
There are a great deal of things wrong about England as a country and the people who run our country. Near the top of that list is a minority of people who are racist.

But I believe our people are broadly the same as every other country, including Australia.

So spare me the lectures from you and other Aussies on here about racism, when you should start looking a bit closer to home.

I'm not going to imply anything here,
your country's treatment of the The Aboriginal Australians - well we all know what that has been like and to some extent still is if the recent resignation of Stan Grant us anything to go by.

Like many other Brits on here, I'm going to be taking a break for a few days, if not longer.

Being on a forum like this is supposed to be enjoyable.

I don't mind banter and I can give as good as I get but the constant comments go beyond that.

If the site isn't careful, there will soon be no more of us Brits to bait.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Re: Stokes' heroic innings here and in 2019, it reminds me of what Bob Simpson said about Botham's heroics in 1981 (and other Ashes series) in that it helped mask the problems with the side and cricketing setup that got exposed in later Ashes series.

I think Stokes' innings are doing the same thing; England were generally dire in the first 4 Tests of the 2009 series when the Ashes was on the line and Stokes' individual effort masked that to a large extent.

Similar thing this Test; despite having the better of the conditions and the opposition main spinner being injured, England played some horrendously dumb cricket to throw away the advantage and another Stokes gem masked what should've been a comprehensive defeat.
I mean I sort of agree, but I think if you look at the scorecards the biggest frustration here is failure to capitalise on starts. I think more England bats got going than their counterparts, but only Duckett really made it count and even then he fell when there were still runs out there (first innings).

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
An enthralling Test deservedly won by a side missing a key bowler.

I didn't like the excessive use of short deliveries or the associated field placings.

Nor did I like Bairstow's stumping (though perfectly legitimate) as I (like most of the Lords Members) are of the old 'spirit if the game' school. However, we have to accept the game has moved with the times.

The Lords members (subsequently suspended) who abused the Aussies were totally out of order.
However, there was one ludicrous poster (I can't be bothered going back through the pages to identify him) here who suggested Lords can't accept 'brown' players. What garbage. One of the most prominent portraits in the establishment is that of Sir Viv Richards. He and many of his team mates have been rightly applauded over the years as have players who have performed well - regardless of skin colour.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
There are a great deal of things wrong about England as a country and the people who run our country. Near the top of that list is a minority of people who are racist.

But I believe our people are broadly the same as every other country, including Australia.

So spare me the lectures from you and other Aussies on here about racism, when you should start looking a bit closer to home.

I'm not going to imply anything here,
your country's treatment of the The Aboriginal Australians - well we all know what that has been like and to some extent still is if the recent resignation of Stan Grant us anything to go by.

Like many other Brits on here, I'm going to be taking a break for a few days, if not longer.

Being on a forum like this is supposed to be enjoyable.

I don't mind banter and I can give as good as I get but the constant comments go beyond that.

If the site isn't careful, there will soon be no more of us Brits to bait.
Even as a NZer (living in the UK), I get tired of the constant Brit baiting that generally goes on in Australia/NZ. My mother is English and she got no end of 'remarks' about it living in NZ. It was pretty grim to witness. But on this forum, I don't see it as anything but banter. And it's funny.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Even as a NZer (living in the UK), I get tired of the constant Brit baiting that generally goes on in Australia/NZ. My mother is English and she got no end of 'remarks' about it living in NZ. It was pretty grim to witness. But on this forum, I don't see it as anything but banter. And it's funny.
True. But sadly some of our CW posters are devoid of humour - both those delivering barbs and those who are targets.

Shady Slim

International Coach
The Zimbabwe one was abysmal as it was completely unnecessary in the context of the game and cost Bond a likely 5-wicket haul. Just **** in every possible way. I reckon McCullum was cheesed off that Blessing Mahwire had held up the victory by scoring his only Test 50 and had just taken Chris Martin for 21 runs in an over. Day 3 of the game and NZ only won by an innings and 46 runs.

Anyway, in general I'm against these type of dismissals as they encourage low level club cricketers to do this ****. ****ing annoying to watch some ****ty keeper lob the ball at the stumps every ball and get nowhere near hitting them. Does my head in. I blame McCullum (but then, I often do) [this post sponsored by ********Bet]
happens in my team😂😂

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Stokes' heroic innings here and in 2019, it reminds me of what Bob Simpson said about Botham's heroics in 1981 (and other Ashes series) in that it helped mask the problems with the side and cricketing setup that got exposed in later Ashes series.

I think Stokes' innings are doing the same thing; England were generally dire in the first 4 Tests of the 2009 series when the Ashes was on the line and Stokes' individual effort masked that to a large extent.

Similar thing this Test; despite having the better of the conditions and the opposition main spinner being injured, England played some horrendously dumb cricket to throw away the advantage and another Stokes gem masked what should've been a comprehensive defeat.
Stokes in general during that 2019-2020 period definitely made England look a lot better than they where, don't know if it's the case right now. Before this game his overall numbers under bazball where pretty ordinary.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have enjoyed both tests - great contests. In this one the innings by Stokes and Smith were highlights. (I'm Australian). I did not enjoy the over use of short pitched fast bowling - and would like to see limits put back or it will get out of hand.

I enjoy a good contest and both of them were.

In relation to all the drama both teams have some questionable history. Sometime, the problem is in the laws and rules. Too often 'sprit of the game" is an excuse for poor and ambiguous laws - and a recipe for upper class histrionics.

I want to tell you the story of an (ex-?)English friend of mine and this test. I met him in Australia decades ago when we both watched a 5-day test at the MCG - having seats next to each other. We became quite friendly with lots of cheeky and fun banter. On the final day of the test he went to get a drink and while doing this had his bag with his passport and travellers cheques stolen. So I gave him accommodation and financial support until his new passport was issued - and we became friends. We often banter over test matches - up until recently always friendly.

During this match I gave him cheek about Bairstow trying to run out Labuschagne in the same way Carey did. We both laughed. I also gave him some cheek about a catch being disallowed. Friendly banter. Then the Carey incident happened. He went quiet and then went feral - basically told me all Australians were cheats and we were a bunch of criminals and lay abouts. Just wow - there goes decades of friendship. Iwas flying to the United Kingdom to catch the last test and to go to a friend's 60th birthday. I was going to the test with my old friend but he told me he has given the tickets to an 'englishman'. I was stunned. Something has gone wrong with our attitudes to sport and competition if it has these sort of outcomes.
I live in constant fear that whatever there is in English DNA that makes them like this has made its way through the generations to me and is just waiting to come out and I'll turn into a massive ****