• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Brendon said it was technically out in a BBC interview. If we can get to a point where that's the end of it, it's much less messy than what we're left with. Then he can say to Jonny hey you're a bit of a dope, that's the law, don't do it again. Now we're heading left and right looking for people to blame.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
when Foakes and Stewart delay holding the ball against a spinner and remove the bails at the split second a batsman raises their foot its smart cricket and when they do it against someone like de Grandhomme its awareness but if someone else does the same to them then some of them invoke the ancient spirits of cricket from 19th century
You genuinely don't see a difference in the scenarios you are giving and the one today?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
when Foakes and Stewart delay holding the ball against a spinner and remove the bails at the split second a batsman raises their foot its smart cricket and when they do it against someone like de Grandhomme its awareness but if someone else does the same to them then some of them invoke the ancient spirits of cricket from 19th century
Again, we should make hard and fast laws to ensure what feels right and wrong (ie spirit) is crystal clear in the laws.

But yes, I get your point. Stuart Broad says it's the worst thing he's ever seen on a cricket field, and yet here's the guy who knew he nicked it to 2nd slip but has said he let the umpires do their thing. How is that different to this? Isn't that in fact much worse because he knows it's out, yet the law supports Carey?

And now England are trying to dictate how the game is played. What right do they have to tell Australia how to hold themselves? McCullum is clawing for the moral high ground and says his guys won't have a beer with Australia. Given how the piss would've tasted after going 2-0 up and so close to retaining the Ashes, I'm not sure Australia want to share, anyway.

Ah ****, I love all of this. It's such amazing theatre. I could sit here all day and post, even though I shouldn't. I might.

slowfinger

International Debutant
i think the question is why did it happen to YJB? widely known as one of the dopiest cricketers in the circuit, with some awful chat that I had to listen to throughout the test match, he's an absolute space cadet. if I were him I'd be a bit ****ing embarrased that my lack of brain cells cost an Ashes test match

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
I see that Ian Bell is currently trending on Twitter. It’s in relation to the topic under discussion on here earlier today - Dhoni’s magnanimity in withdrawing the appeal for Bell to be run out.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Again, we should make hard and fast laws to ensure what feels right and wrong (ie spirit) is crystal clear in the laws.

But yes, I get your point. Stuart Broad says it's the worst thing he's ever seen on a cricket field, and yet here's the guy who knew he nicked it to 2nd slip but has said he let the umpires do their thing. How is that different to this? Isn't that in fact much worse because he knows it's out, yet the law supports Carey?
I genuinely don't get posters bringing up Broad not walking. Most cricketers don't walk, and any line you (one) draw(s) between one nick and another is arbitrary.

And him sledging Carey is noise. I am fairly certain it's not the worst thing he's ever seen on a cricket field.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I genuinely don't get posters bringing up Broad not walking. Most cricketers don't walk, and any line you (one) draw(s) between one nick and another is arbitrary.

And him sledging Carey is noise. I am fairly certain it's not the worst thing he's ever seen on a cricket field.
very close to self aware territory this

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

And now England are trying to dictate how the game is played. What right do they have to tell Australia how to hold themselves? McCullum is clawing for the moral high ground and says his guys won't have a beer with Australia. Given how the piss would've tasted after going 2-0 up and so close to retaining the Ashes, I'm not sure Australia want to share, anyway.

Ah ****, I love all of this. It's such amazing theatre. I could sit here all day and post, even though I shouldn't. I might.
Did Broad seriously say that???? He thinks it is worse than spot/match fixing??!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see that Ian Bell is currently trending on Twitter. It’s in relation to the topic under discussion on here earlier today - Dhoni’s magnanimity in withdrawing the appeal for Bell to be run out.
Interesting that McCullum and Collingwood are in the England coaching group and Vettori is in Aus one

jcas0167

International Debutant
OK seen it now...don't love that it's out, he clearly scratches his crease as if to signify he knows it's the end of the over. But there's probably a rule that says the ball is not dead until over is called, so Bairstow is dopey. Plus there's footage showing Bairstow doing it to Australia, and Cummins said he was doing a lot. So I think it's fairly given out, and Bairstow/England have no leg to stand on. And Stokes - the incredible player that he is - shouldn't be invoking spirit. That's horse ****. Get rid of that stupid phrase, it shouldn't have relevance.
Had to look up the MCC laws. The problem for Bairstow is the fielding side have to have regarded it as dead too and they didn't. Where debate arises is whether it's reasonable to consider the ball is in play where a batter has ducked a bouncer, scratched their crease and wandered out to do some gardening.

20.1 Ball is dead

The ball becomes dead when

20.1.1.1 it is finally settled in the hands of the wicket-keeper or of the bowler.
20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

20.2 Ball finally settled

Whether the ball is finally settled or not is a matter for the umpire alone to decide.