• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Molehill

International Captain
Yes, confirmed now.

Will be fun if he is picked as a replacement while he is travelling with the teams for commentary. CSK picked David Hussey that way once and he ended up being a game changer for them.
A fair few ticketholders in Sussex will be looking for a refund I suspect if that happens.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah pretty mysterious isnt it. I thought Kez died from looking at that first video but it looks like a criminal kinda thing
I don't wanna jump to any assumptions on it. I've heard some wild theories across the place but there all substantiated. Don't wanna cause any grief by putting a negative spin on it if it's a mental health/physical health thing, would just make it worse for all involved imo.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't wanna jump to any assumptions on it. I've heard some wild theories across the place but there all substantiated. Don't wanna cause any grief by putting a negative spin on it if it's a mental health/physical health thing, would just make it worse for all involved imo.
Anything concrete yet at all?

I really did like their videos. Best out there

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anything concrete yet at all?

I really did like their videos. Best out there
Yeah their wecricket stuff was great. Also really enjoyed the goldenducks podcast, gave a nice perspective of the wave of emotions england fans experience during the ups and downs the test side has had recently.

Shri

Mr. Glass
maybe they found cp on one of their computers

i would bet that it is the guy not making the announcement

that or cancer

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
Get Sydney Smith in too?
Sydney Smith was included in an all-time West Indian XI in 1957. It appeared in Guyanese-born Christopher Nicole's history.

Challenor, Stollmeyer, Headley, Worrell, Walcott, Goddard*, Smith, Barrow+, Constantine, Martindale, Ramadhin.

Reserves: Weekes, Gomez, McWatt+, Clifford Goodman, Valentine.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
He was also in Derek Lodge's "Rest of the World - no Tests" XI in "Figures on the Green" from 1982 (Tarilton, Trimble, Bill Alley, Thompson, Carmody, Tarrant, Smith, King, Sismey, Walsh, Massie).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sydney Smith was included in an all-time West Indian XI in 1957. It appeared in Guyanese-born Christopher Nicole's history.

Challenor, Stollmeyer, Headley, Worrell, Walcott, Goddard*, Smith, Barrow+, Constantine, Martindale, Ramadhin.

Reserves: Weekes, Gomez, McWatt+, Clifford Goodman, Valentine.
That's a fascinating selection - it's extraordinary to me that in 1957 Everton Weekes wouldn't be selected for an all time West Indian XI.

Do you have any of the discussion or narrative around that selection? It would be interesting to know when in 1957 that team was picked, specifically if it was after that year's tour of England, where Weekes made just 195 runs at 19.5. Or if it was simply that among certain observers of his time he was actually rated third of the Ws.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand XI, all born in the 19th century. Lowry is the only member of this team who played Test cricket.

Syd Hiddleston (Otago/Wellington)
Lancelot Hemus (Auckland)
Nessie Snedden (Auckland)
Rupert Worker (Auckland/Canterbury/Otago/Wellington)
Ces Dacre (Auckland)
Tom Lowry*+ (Auckland/Wellington)
Dan Reese (Canterbury)
Stan Brice (Wellington)
Arthur Fisher (Otago)
Alec Downes (Otago)
Ernest Upham (Wellington)
Nessie Snedden there may not have played Test cricket, but was the progenitor of multiple generations of NZ Test and First Class cricketers.

He was also, as it happens, the last man to dismiss Victor Trumper in FC cricket.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Random thought: is there any rule which limits how far away from the pitch a batter can be while running? Say the non-striker starts off running in line with the square leg ump, so they can't actually see the crease when they reach the other end. A close run out occurs but even with TV replays there's not a good enough angle to conclusively rule out the batter.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Random thought: is there any rule which limits how far away from the pitch a batter can be while running? Say the non-striker starts off running in line with the square leg ump, so they can't actually see the crease when they reach the other end. A close run out occurs but even with TV replays there's not a good enough angle to conclusively rule out the batter.
Maybe just the hypotenuse rule. To run an angle wide enough to make the tv replay inconclusive, you've probably added enough distance that you could have been in your ground if you had just run straight.

Although, what about the non striker. Do they have to stand near the stumps or can they start behind the line, but 50m off to the side?

I still want a ruling on my long shoe laces theory.