• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The era of 4th innings chases being much more difficult, almost by tradition only, is gradually ending. Then considering that:
- this pitch is still great for batting;
- NZ's bowling after the new ball is poor;
- England are now great at 4th innings chases and did it three times in a row vs NZ last NH summer.
... and the remaining 210 runs look like a doddle for England.

Yes NZ still have a chance, but I have a hard time seeing who might get on a roll with the ball and how a collapse could be triggered.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I get the context in SA & SL to a lesser extent, but as you say he's had more than enough opportunities to improve his away record in England and India but sadly hasn't quite been up to it so critics can fairly label him a bit of a HTB when comparing with other greats.
Yeah, I don't think anyone pops him in the top echelon of greats. We tend to have a better context for where people stand a few years after the dust settles.

This is a ruthless era to bat in, probably the most challenging in practice since the 80s once you factor in almost everyone has some very good bowlers, spicier conditions and DRS. Genuine 50 average and 50 test batsmen are rare right now (see Root only just clocking in despite being bloody incredible) and worth a lot to a side. So much so it's genuinely worth considering sliding KW down to fully maximise his output as he ages and not give bowlers a look at him with the new rock.

On a smaller note, I forgive KW is low average across 4 tests in SL since he tonned up in a rare test victory there as a young man. I think the average there is a quirk rather than a rule. Contributions in England have been display case but lacking a bit in the shop (ton at Lords, big dog in the WTC final). India though, no excuses. The debut ton there showed he could do it and Ashwin/Jadeja have had his number since.
I'm now thinking Blundell might be the best option as captain.
Blundell is one of our few advantages over the rest of the world atm so I'd prefer we let it lie and not give him the duty of captain and keeper and batsman. It's a lot for a guy in his 25th test.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
England should get there quite easily ... target Bracewell (as they've already done in his first over today) and Wagner and NZ are in a lot of trouble because there really isn't anyone else who can keep bowling apart from Southee and Henry.

Flem274*

123/5
Since when did English supporters started to become like the Aussies?
Haha, they'll disappear as soon as someone wrecks England in a series.

GIMH and his merry band of English scum battlers have earned The Right to be Aggressive. These blow ins don't have the spine to front up to Burgey's Bunters after a 5-0 crushing.

It's sad. WindieWeathers would run riot among this lot even if England negated the customary disaster tour to WI.

ashley bach

International Captain
Southee getting slated elsewhere for throwing his wicket away. No he didn’t redeem himself in many peoples eyes with his flukey slogathon in the first innings. The lack of application to help a team mate through to a hundred…it’s the second time in two matches he’s done it. Why did they make the bloke captain(?)
Forget that, Timmy showing application with the bat is not applicable. Nobody has been let down because there are no expectations involved.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, they'll disappear as soon as someone wrecks England in a series.

GIMH and his merry band of English scum battlers have earned The Right to be Aggressive. These blow ins don't have the spine to front up to Burgey's Bunters after a 5-0 crushing.

It's sad. WindieWeathers would run riot among this lot even if England negated the customary disaster tour to WI.
I’ll still be here come rain or shine so suck it Flem

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Could Blundell be better than Watling
He looks it at the moment. Capable of both the Watling-style rescue acts and the Baz-style marauding aggression. Also much more slick when keeping to the spinners, though significantly less sure footed to pace (that first innings drop was a nightmare of poor footwork). However, he’ll need to keep it up for 3 or 4 years to seriously be in the equation.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He couldn't bowl a hoop down a hill.
Why would he want too.

Anyway been a bad couple of days, but I'd like it to end that enforcing the follow-on is ever really a good idea. We were a bowler down, two old blokes, godly old blokes, but still, and a man whose stamina has been called into question, made little sense. Give them a rest.

Thank god for Harry Brooks emergence as the premier all-round cricketer in the World.:ph34r: