• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa vs England (3 ODI):Jan 27-Feb 04, 2023 in SAfrica

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not really fussed about the permutations, if we can't qualify directly for the ICC World Cup , well that is just another reminder to the CSA administration of how far they have let Cricket fall under their watch in this country. We have planned really poorly for the 50 over World Cup this year , basically it's a copy and paste team from the 2019 side that did so badly apart from the guys who retired , they aren't bad players but come on you've got to get some young players in by now , Stubbs , Jansen , Verryenne, De Zorzi , Brevis etc they are all gonna wait for 2027 to get a shot at a World Cup ..Feels like a waste when the current crop are in a race just to qualify for the next WC.
CSA have basically said they are targeting the ‘27 WC, which is being held in SA.

FBU

International Debutant
I think England will rest Archer and drop Willey tomorrow. Woakes and Topley replacing them.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think England will rest Archer and drop Willey tomorrow. Woakes and Topley replacing them.
Archer won't be rushed into it so this could be a possibility. Topley was in decent form so it would be interesting to see how he does in South Africa tomorrow if selected

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only possible reason for picking Willey over Topley is batting, and David is ****e with the bat internationally, so yeah no brainer. Woakes playing lenghtens the batting anyway, so much more rounded team.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Curran, Woakes, Rashid, Archer and Topley is fine for this series but seems a batter light and a bowler too many if you potentially have Ali/Livingstone and Stokes (may be wishful thinking). I like Curran but you need a number seven to be able to score fifties and hundreds, and he adds the odd nice cameo but there is no consistency to his batting.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Mo should replace by Jack

All rounder Moeen Ali
has compiled just 718 runs in 61 ODIs and at an average of 18.89 since the start of 2018. To make matters worse, he doesn't have a single fifty to his name in that period in ODIs and averages almost 50 with the ball.

grecian

Mo should replace by Jack

All rounder Moeen Ali
has compiled just 718 runs in 61 ODIs and at an average of 18.89 since the start of 2018. To make matters worse, he doesn't have a single fifty to his name in that period in ODIs and averages almost 50 with the ball.
Possibly, but I think England are more into his strike rate with batting and economy with bowling.

Batting too high though if it's just the odd quick 30 you want.

theegyptian

Moeen's just lucky the world cup is in India and this year -need his spin bowling and experience. Distinctly average for a long time in ODI cricket. His strike rate is terrible with bat too since last WC 76.48sr for his 296 runs.

Batting and bowling stats since last 50 over WC.

Willey quietly kinda crushing it since last WC - 32 wickets @ 22.90 avg@5.19econ, and 259 runs@37@98.47 sr. No idea how. Poor bloke - history may well repeat itself with him missing out on the squad for the WC having played most of the preceding 3.5 years as happened in 2019.

grecian

Hmm hadn'trealised it was so bad recently, yeah his place should be under question. Not hugely sold on Livingstone, but his injuries have probably stopped him overtaking Ali in selectors minds. Yet as you say he'll probably get the next world Cup, Ahmed and Jacks not being picked for this series pretty much franks that.

I van see both him and adil retiring from 50 overs and maybe altogether for England after it.

G. S. Kohli

Hmm hadn'trealised it was so bad recently, yeah his place should be under question. Not hugely sold on Livingstone, but his injuries have probably stopped him overtaking Ali in selectors minds. Yet as you say he'll probably get the next world Cup, Ahmed and Jacks not being picked for this series pretty much franks that.

I van see both him and adil retiring from 50 overs and maybe altogether for England after it.
Oh Jack not there?

G. S. Kohli

Folks
2nd ODI today starts at 1.30 pm Indian Standard time, 3 hour Earlier than last (1st ODI) & Next (3rd game on Feb 1st)

I wish Duckett & Brook Click for england today

G. S. Kohli

South Africa have won toss & have to Bowls in 2nd OdI vs England 1.05 pm in india. Right now

More.....

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

Archer & Willey out just rotation policy for england i guess. Topley & Woakes in

Shamsi & Rabada out
NGidi & Maharaj in ? in South Africa -team

Marco Jansen replaces Sisanda Magala
Why? Rotation policy of SA?

Teams:

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

Shaun Pollack took 21 wkts here in 13 games highest in ODI by one bowler,

Ground umpire given Roy out SA loose review

Same over Ngidi clean bowled roy

Teams:
Eng 27/1

G. S. Kohli

1.4° swing in 1st power play compare to 0.08° swing in 1st ODI

_Waleed wayne Parnell & Ngidi 34 Dot ball together in 1st power play.

_ He Converted Islamic Religion by 2011 before marrige to muslim Girl Aisha

Last edited: