• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa vs England (3 ODI):Jan 27-Feb 04, 2023 in SAfrica

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, yeah we don't quite seem to be on it, like we have been, very noticable amongst all the big shots we slowed down on a few occasion markedly when we lost a wicket, whilst the saffies pretty much never stopped. Possibly there bowling being more penetrative, but it doesn't bode well on Indian pitches if our bowlers are canon-fodder. Let's just hope Archer and Wood are fully fit, and though it's harsh, think Duckett needs an innings in the last match before he's discarded from this one-day unit. With Root and Stokes coming back likely for the World Cup, and Sam Hain ever ignored in the background, he needed to go big.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean is england bowling being cannon-fodder really a suprise to anyone? Last WC they had adil-moeen as a spin combo and plunkett's wierd death over shenaninigans, now they've lost plunket, rashid is avering 40+ with the ball since the last WC and moeen is averaging 50+. They basically have noene who can take consistent wickets in the middle overs. Archer being injured hasn't helped this over.

Stokes and morgan retiring didn't help matters much either, stokes no longer being at 6 means that england have either had to play moeen at 6 and have a longer tail or have 1 less genuine bowling option, and morgan has left a gaping hole in the batting unit. Malan and salt have done well when given the chance but both have made their runs in the top 3, not @4 from memory. Plus up until today buttler's form in the format has been a bit ehh and root has barely played. If brook's can keep going at 4 and livingstone+bairstow slot back in to the batting think that front is fine with decent reserves in salt and malan, issue is I don't see how england are gonna consistently take middle/death over wickets even at full strength.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Really good chase from SA but the game was lost for England in the opening 6 to 10 overs of the match when the ball did a lot.

We recovered well to 343 but it was always chasable because of those first few overs.

I'm not concerned about England - we'll be there or thereabouts come the WC and that's what matters.

We're not at full strength and due to the WC qualifying, there's that extra incentive for SA.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I mean is england bowling being cannon-fodder really a suprise to anyone? Last WC they had adil-moeen as a spin combo and plunkett's wierd death over shenaninigans, now they've lost plunket, rashid is avering 40+ with the ball since the last WC and moeen is averaging 50+. They basically have noene who can take consistent wickets in the middle overs. Archer being injured hasn't helped this over.

Stokes and morgan retiring didn't help matters much either, stokes no longer being at 6 means that england have either had to play moeen at 6 and have a longer tail or have 1 less genuine bowling option, and morgan has left a gaping hole in the batting unit. Malan and salt have done well when given the chance but both have made their runs in the top 3, not @4 from memory. Plus up until today buttler's form in the format has been a bit ehh and root has barely played. If brook's can keep going at 4 and livingstone+bairstow slot back in to the batting think that front is fine with decent reserves in salt and malan, issue is I don't see how england are gonna consistently take middle/death over wickets even at full strength.
Wood.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I don't buy this view that England's bowling is cannon fodder - I assume SA's must be as well then as our largely 2nd string batting battered them for 343 on a pitch that for the 1st 10 overs was really tricky.

For my money stats about players between WC's mean little or nothing.

50 over cricket has become more and more marginalised with the rise of T20.

But for the WC and the money that generates, the 50 over game would probably be phased out.

For the most part, these series are pretty meaningless - they generate decent cash but key players are often rested for more important battles ahead.

The only time the 50 game is prioritised is for WCs and England will be well prepared and at full strength for it.

I'm not saying we'll win it but we're in with as good a shout as any team and these defeats to SA whilst disappointing, won't change that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks as though it's all coming apart for England in the longer formats. Their time at the top of the ODI tree has plainly passed and the slog-a-thon test approach by an extremely limited batting line up is about to be exposed come June when they're facing an attack which actually bowls over arm and at a pace above that of my 4 year old nephew.

Grim times indeed to be an England fan.

**** I love it.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Looks as though it's all coming apart for England in the longer formats. Their time at the top of the ODI tree has plainly passed and the slog-a-thon test approach by an extremely limited batting line up is about to be exposed come June when they're facing an attack which actually bowls over arm and at a pace above that of my 4 year old nephew.

**** I love it.
Grim times indeed mate.

50 over World Champions
T20 World Champions

Another home Ashes win on the horizon as Jimmy and Co weave their magic against a batting line up that can't play the moving ball.

What a time to be alive.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
SA need to worry much koz they need 30 points more in 3 matches

1 vs eng / 2 vs Netherland

If eng beat them at Kimberly they not make it Direct Flight to india. ( (Westindes already completed 24 super league matches for 2020-2023 Cycle)

Below after 2nd ODI n on going series.

So Bavuma MOTM

Topley/Mo & Woakes to-gether given 166 in 19.1 ovs real carnage of top bowling!
where is mark wood?

He not even return in NZ in mid Feb for eng test team

Dendarii

International Debutant
SA need to worry much koz they need 30 points more in 3 matches

1 vs eng / 2 vs Netherland

If eng beat them at Kimberly they not make it Direct Flight to india. ( (Westindes already completed 24 super league matches for 2020-2023 Cycle)
That's not the case, and I already corrected you here.

To summarise: Three wins gets South Africa through no matter what other teams do. Two wins in all likelihood gets them through as it would need Sri Lanka to whitewash New Zealand for them to miss out. And one win may still be enough as they would only miss out if Sri Lanka win the series against New Zealand or Ireland whitewash Bangladesh, and there's a very good chance neither of those will happen.

chris.hinton

International Captain

**** I love it.
ODI we are looking at a new plan, We are ODI & T20 World Champs and will be the best test side as well. Great times for an England Fan