• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time ODI XI

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man all these elevens seriously lack lefties.

Sachin
Jayasuriya
Viv
Bevan
AB
MSD (wk) (c)
Stokes
Pollock
Wasim
Saqlain
Ambrose

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
World XI picked from different teams:

Sachin
Jayasuriya
Viv (c)
Shakib
ABDV
RTD
Butler (wk)
Hadlee
Wasim
Rashid Khan
McGrath

Streak 12th man

Would beat quite a few of the teams listed.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jones, Pollock are picked. QDK and Starc most probably will be picked more regularly once the finish their careers. Ditto Willamson. Hasan has too many slow bowling competitors. Morgan is no where in top 10 when it comes to middle order players. Warner is a dead set loss to Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Jayasuriya or Watson at the top of the order because of the quality of the batsmanship or as whole package. Waugh and O'Donnel . . Ew!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
World XI picked from different teams:

Sachin
Jayasuriya
Viv (c)
Shakib
ABDV
RTD
Butler (wk)
Hadlee
Wasim
Rashid Khan
McGrath

Streak 12th man
Yeah probably hard to argue against this much, although RTD only played 7 games against Test teams. Maybe swap him and Hadlee out for Williamson and Streak?

Socerer 01

International Captain
How the hell is Williamson making these XIs ahead of Ross the Boss even if he had a good world cup in 2019? Feels like there is a clear difference in the output they have managed over a long period which will only worsen now that Williamson is on a tuktuk mission

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Jones, Pollock are picked. QDK and Starc most probably will be picked more regularly once the finish their careers. Ditto Willamson. Hasan has too many slow bowling competitors. Morgan is no where in top 10 when it comes to middle order players. Warner is a dead set loss to Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Jayasuriya or Watson at the top of the order because of the quality of the batsmanship or as whole package. Waugh and O'Donnel . . Ew!
I've rarely seen any of these guys listed in teams that are ATG ODI first XIs. Williamson and Jones dont appear in these teams over Viv, ABD and Kohli.

That was my point.

What do you mean by "Waugh and O'Donnell ew" ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair enough, but Taylor instead of Williamson.
This got me thinking about a NZ AT ODI XI... who opens? Good cases to be made for all of Baz, Guptill, Fleming, Astle and Turner IMO. Baz obviously plays but might be better used as a finisher given so many of the better bats are openers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How the hell is Williamson making these XIs ahead of Ross the Boss even if he had a good world cup in 2019? Feels like there is a clear difference in the output they have managed over a long period which will only worsen now that Williamson is on a tuktuk mission
No idea. Ross was up with Rohit as the 3rd best ODI batter of the 2010s behind Kohli/AB (whichever way you rank 1 & 2).

Socerer 01

International Captain
No idea. Ross was up with Rohit as the 3rd best ODI batter of the 2010s behind Kohli/AB (whichever way you rank 1 & 2).
iirc he had the third highest average between the last two odi world cups behind only Rohit and Kohli. Who knows how good his overall record could’ve been without the pterygium problem

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Only absolute gun fielders

M.Waugh
A.Gilchrist
R.Ponting
V.Richards
C.Lloyd
A.Symonds
P.Collingwood
R.Jadeja
B.Lee
T.Boult
J.Garner
12: J.Rhodes

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
iirc he had the third highest average between the last two odi world cups behind only Rohit and Kohli. Who knows how good his overall record could’ve been without the pterygium problem
Highest averages in the 2010s (over 100 ODIs, so Babar excluded*):
AB 64.20
Kohli 60.79
Taylor 54.01
Rohit 53.56
Sanga 52.96
Root 51.36
Dhoni 50.35
Amla 49.76
Williamson, Faf, and Warner all in the 47s

*Babar (74 ODIs) 54.17

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
1 Tendulkar
2 Rohit
3 Richards
4 Kohli
5 de Villiers
6 Dhoni
7 Pollock
8 Wasim
9 Murali
10 Garner
11 McGrath
I'm not sure if playing that many bowlers would help or hurt against the same team with an extra AR in it.

I do think that the extra bowler means you will be dropping more matches against weaker teams- even a top order that strong is collapsing sometimes.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Only absolute gun fielders

M.Waugh
A.Gilchrist
R.Ponting
V.Richards
C.Lloyd
A.Symonds
P.Collingwood
R.Jadeja
B.Lee
T.Boult
J.Garner
12: J.Rhodes
Good side. I'd pick Chris Harris for Collingwood though. While Collingwood was a better bat he wasn't a 7, while Harris was a better fielder, and a much better bowler than anyone else in the top 7. Also ABDV was a gun fielder too, so should be included.

Reactions: Red

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Greenidge wasn't the best ODI opener in his own team
That's not true. Any decent ranking of ODI players has Greenidge above Haynes. Twice in CW top 50 ODI player rankings, Greenidge has found a place while Haynes hasn't. Greenidge until some time back had the 2ne best proportion of MoM awards to matches after Richards (iirc Kohli has now overtaken him) which indicates how big his impact was. On overall averages too, Greenidge has Haynes covered comfortably. Greenidge also scores hundreds more frequently than Haynes. And on the metric that matters to many when rating ODI players, in world cups Greenidge averages 45 to Haynes' 37. In my simple analysis based on normalised averages and SRs, Greenidge emerged as 2nd best opening batsman of all time (which didn't surprise me at all fwiw).