• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England tour of Australia ODIs

Preed

U19 12th Man
Disgraceful performance .Second game not making 40 overs.Time to stop this myth that we have depth.Bowling without Wood and our ex West Indian is so weak .They manage to cover in 20 overs but not 50..That’s now 4 series defeats under new captain and coach???

ashley bach

International Captain
Once and for all this whole England has quality depth myth must be put to rest. Simply not true
They have a gun 20/20 squad and plenty of depth there, but they look very mediocre to say the least in the longer form of the game, don't rate their
chances too highly at all retaining the cup next year in India, and think they're terrible value in the market at the moment currently at 4.4
Between these 2 teams would much rather back Australia at 6.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
We've been really poor in these ODIs and our attitude hasn't been right.

Even before the series started Buttler and Moeen more or less said they didn't want to play in the games.

Those that played in the T20s clearly weren't up for it. Those that hadn't were massively under prepared and hadn't played a match for a couple of months.

I'm concerned at all by these losses - our strength in depth is good despite what we've shown here.

By the time the next WC comes around next year, we'll be in with as good a chance as anyone of lifting the trophy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They have a gun 20/20 squad and plenty of depth there, but they look very mediocre to say the least in the longer form of the game, don't rate their
chances too highly at all retaining the cup next year in India, and think they're terrible value in the market at the moment currently at 4.4
Between these 2 teams would much rather back Australia at 6.
Their full strength team is still pretty good in the format imo, even if their depth has been shown up a little bit.

1 Bairstow
2 Malan
3 Root
4 Stokes
5 Buttler
6 Livingstone
7 Moeen
8 Woakes
9 Rashid
10 Wood
11 Topley

Reserves: Salt, Billings, Dawson, Willey/Curran

Australia for decades have got away with only having a good ODI team in theory/paper for a while before the WC and then throwing it together properly for the tournament. This whole series was a farce but they don't need to panic, that lineup still looks great to me.

Roy should be totally done now though IMO. Definitely one thing they learnt this tour.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Their full strength team is still pretty good in the format imo, even if their depth has been shown up a little bit.

1 Bairstow
2 Malan
3 Root
4 Stokes
5 Buttler
6 Livingstone
7 Moeen
8 Woakes
9 Rashid
10 Wood
11 Topley

Reserves: Salt, Billings, Dawson, Willey/Curran

Australia for decades have got away with only having a good ODI team in theory/paper for a while before the WC and then throwing it together properly for the tournament. This whole series was a farce but they don't need to panic, that lineup still looks great to me.

Roy should be totally done now though IMO. Definitely one thing they learnt this tour.
Stokes has retired from ODIs.

Think we're in way worse shape than we were in the build up to the 2019 WC.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Most interesting thing about the series imo was Mark Howard commentating like it's an EA Sports game. Real throwback

S Smith, C Green, P Cummins, J Hazlewood etc

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Stokes has retired from ODIs.

Think we're in way worse shape than we were in the build up to the 2019 WC.
It wouldn't surprise me if Stokes played in the WC - there was some talk of it after the T20 win.

It'll also be interesting to see if Hales plays in ODI team after his return to the England set up.

We could also do with Archer being fit.

I think we're as strong as anyone but probably not quite as strong as 2019.

Chubb

International Regular
Actually think it’s a good thing for the players to be honest about what this kind of series means to them, ie nothing. Same was true of the Aus-Eng T20 series before the World Cup and the ridiculous fake furore about Wade and Buttler.

Do we really believe matches like this mean anything to the players?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually think it’s a good thing for the players to be honest about what this kind of series means to them, ie nothing. Same was true of the Aus-Eng T20 series before the World Cup and the ridiculous fake furore about Wade and Buttler.

Do we really believe matches like this mean anything to the players?
It should mean a lot to the players who are trying to establish themselves. If you get a shot at p[laying for your country you'd think you would want to perform at your best.

TheJediBrah

Yeah it's easy to project your feelings as a fan onto the players, but every game you play for your country definitely means something. Sure it's not going to mean as much as the first day of an Ashes series but it's still a big deal for most involved.

Joss Buttler was the only one out there that seemed like he was really checked out

Last edited:

Burgey

FMD he'd checked out by the time of the presentation. Looked like he had his traveling clothes on and was waiting on a lift to the airport.

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah it's easy to project your feelings as a fan onto the players, but every game you play for your country definitely means something. Sure it's not going to mean as much as the first day of an Ashes series but it's still a big deal for most involved.

Joss Buttler was the only one out there that seemed like he was really checked out
Maybe I'm cynical but I'm not sure that is the case for a series like this. Cricket is just a job for most of the pros, many of them don't even like it much. Even international cricket when there's nothing on the line.

I'm sure they care deeply about World Cups and Ashes but asking them to care about a series like this is silly.

But I'm projecting my own depression and cynicism onto everyone else no doubt.

TheJediBrah

Maybe I'm cynical but I'm not sure that is the case for a series like this. Cricket is just a job for most of the pros, many of them don't even like it much. Even international cricket when there's nothing on the line.

I'm sure they care deeply about World Cups and Ashes but asking them to care about a series like this is silly.

haha I tend to disagree but you could be right

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

I reckon there is a lot of truth to this.

I think we cricket fans have this ideal of what it's like to be an international cricketer and the mindset they are supposed to have.......im betting the reality is very very different.

They're human beings not robots and every individual is unique in how they see the game and its importance to them and their life.