• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Brevis was in the squad but missed out due to the 5 white player restrictions. Don didn't make the squad.
As an SA fan how do you feel about the quota system. I understand the necessity of it given SA'S history, but it feels harsh seeing young talent like brevis miss out due to skin colour.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Test squad for Australia announced, Markram dropped, De Bruyn back in.

View attachment 33602
Aside from coetzee's inclusion this squad is disappointing honestly. Unsure if there's injuries or something, but surely all of van tonder, janneman, roelofson and rickelton deserve to be in this squad instead of rassie, erwee or de bruyn???

Stefan9

International Debutant
Very disappointing squad. No rickelton or janneman is just meh...Verreyne somehow retaining his spot...

Edit:Seems rickelton has an ankle injury?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Coetzee... the rest is the meh I expect. I am fine with Verreynne for now. But yep the squad is as backwards as expected overall.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It's terrible, harms black and white players.
Quotas are useless by themselves... and the failure of CSA to sort out the production line problem is easy to see.

I don't know how many of you guys watched the Rassie documentary last night, I was not gonna but got drawn in. But what is very clear from the sporting perspective is that rugby only started sorting out the problems when they got buy-in from everybody and actually listened to people wanting to transform the sport form all sides and not just playing lip-service. And CSA (even now) are in a far better position to do this if they get the right people in the right positions. But there is far to much of an old boys club feel to cricket in SA, from all sides.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Edit:Seems rickelton has an ankle injury?

From that article:
Wicketkeeper-batsman Heinrich Klaasen comes in for Ryan Rickelton, whose ankle injury has ruled him out of contention for the Proteas tour. Strangely, Rickelton is still able to play domestic cricket for the Lions.
So what's going on there? I know that there have been instances of players not making South African squads because they didn't meet fitness requirements. But carrying a bit of extra weight is one thing; an ankle injury is very different.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From that article:

So what's going on there? I know that there have been instances of players not making South African squads because they didn't meet fitness requirements. But carrying a bit of extra weight is one thing; an ankle injury is very different.
Maybe he can bat but can't properly field atm.

You'd think the Lions would let him rest anyway though!

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't know how many of you guys watched the Rassie documentary last night, I was not gonna but got drawn in. But what is very clear from the sporting perspective is that rugby only started sorting out the problems when they got buy-in from everybody and actually listened to people wanting to transform the sport form all sides and not just playing lip-service. And CSA (even now) are in a far better position to do this if they get the right people in the right positions. But there is far to much of an old boys club feel to cricket in SA, from all sides.
I watched it, and Rassie described some of the measures he put in place, which clearly have worked. It doesn't happen every match, but the Springboks can easily field a side with more than 50% of the players not white with every single player's selection being justified on rugby ability alone.

So cricket needs someone to come in and do things like that. I think they were hoping Graeme Smith could do that, but he didn't have the best relationship with the board and he also fell into the old boys club trap with his appointment of Boucher. Whether Enoch Nkwe is the right man for the job and whether he'll get the backing he needs remains to be seen, but it's shocking that cricket has lagged so far behind rugby when it's the latter that you would have thought would have had the harder time transforming.

Bahseph

State Captain
Man what a stagnant looking squad. Probably see them doing something like this:

1. Erwee
2. Elgar (C)
3. Rassie
4. Bavuma
5. Zondo
6. Verreynne (Wk)
7. Jansen
8. Maharaj
9. Rabada
10. Nortje
11. Ngidi

I think we are going to lose our streak in Australia boys!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling is always fine... even if Jansen is getting nose bleeds at 7. We can't play both Ngidi and Nortje anymore not with Jansen around. But the solution to that is have Mulder at 7... As for the batting need a complete new top 5 at this stage. I really really hope that the new coach and Nkwe start making big changes soon.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
We don't play enough FC in South Africa , so I sympathise with the selectors in that regard, however Im not completely happy with the squad selection ..
With so many places up for grabs 16 man squad should have really been 18.

My extra two players would have been Zubayr Hamza who got a hundred vs India A
for SA A in their last 4 day series , and Wiaan Mulder whom we desperately need to come right in Test cricket.

The actual squad doesn't address the batting concerns in fact it's made it worse , Markram is going through a lean run but the guy who is replacing him averaged 19 in 12 Test matches (De Bruyn) and Markram is two years younger than De Bruyn !
I would have included Janneman Malan instead ..

There should be a cover for the openers Sarel Erwee has not made that place his own yet ...I would have taken Joshua Richards what a prospect and since he's a Highveld boy he won't be phased by the bounce in Australia.. in fact in this side would have him at first drop . Roelofsen instead of Klaasen.

Marius

International Debutant
We don't play enough FC in South Africa , so I sympathise with the selectors in that regard, however Im not completely happy with the squad selection ..
With so many places up for grabs 16 man squad should have really been 18.

My extra two players would have been Zubayr Hamza who got a hundred vs India A
for SA A in their last 4 day series , and Wiaan Mulder whom we desperately need to come right in Test cricket.

The actual squad doesn't address the batting concerns in fact it's made it worse , Markram is going through a lean run but the guy who is replacing him averaged 19 in 12 Test matches (De Bruyn) and Markram is two years younger than De Bruyn !
I would have included Janneman Malan instead ..

There should be a cover for the openers Sarel Erwee has not made that place his own yet ...I would have taken Joshua Richards what a prospect and since he's a Highveld boy he won't be phased by the bounce in Australia.. in fact in this side would have him at first drop . Roelofsen instead of Klaasen.
Hamza is banned because he failed a drugs test. His ban only ends in the middle of December I think.