• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Overs Ever

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This was awesome to watch at the time especially since it came after Morkel had bowled serious heat and sconed him a couple of time (not sure if it was the same innings).

Burgey

It's Lillee to Richards at the end of Boxing Day 1981. The last over was sublime. Couple of bouncers which did him for pace then an inswinger off the last ball to bowl him. Ridiculous

Burgey

This was awesome to watch at the time especially since it came after Morkel had bowled serious heat and sconed him a couple of time (not sure if it was the same innings).
Clarke's God Mode was genuinely as good as anyone's. Only Lara of blokes I've seen could go a gear more crazy than Clarke when he went coco bananas. It just didn't matter who bowled what, he carved it.

He just didn't go to God Mode as often as some others did. And his just-below-God-Mode wasn't enough to get him into the ATG category. So imperious when he was on though. Four double tons in 2012 alone. It's crazy how imperious he could look when he was totally on song compared with his normal way of playing.

The knock he played in SA when Morkel broke his collar bone was someone playing a different sport to like 99% of even international players, although that was more a guts thing tbf.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Dale Steyn to Sachin Tendulkar at Cape Town. Steyn bowled within himself at 129 to 133 k's but got the ball to swing from middle and leg to outside off stump, forced Sachin to play every ball who got beaten outside off all the time.

Burgey

I think I saw that spell. It was a crazy contest. I think Tendullkar got through it and made a big ton didn't he?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Peak Marshall and Garner really running in at the WACA towards the end of the day was one occasion when the bowling was otherworldly

Slips were miles back & one of the few times I thought that you cannot play that

Funny thing is that I am sure that Holding came on & cleaned them up

subshakerz

International Coach
Dale Steyn to Sachin Tendulkar at Cape Town. Steyn bowled within himself at 129 to 133 k's but got the ball to swing from middle and leg to outside off stump, forced Sachin to play every ball who got beaten outside off all the time.
That was the first over of Day 3 I think. Sachin actually nicked a ball but wasn't given.

Here at 0:47 onwards

Burgey

One for the first chance average. Hell of a spell.

He probably didn't hear the edge.

Kirkut

International Regular
That was the first over of Day 3 I think. Sachin actually nicked a ball but wasn't given.

Here at 0:47 onwards
If you watch the slow motion, the ball actually bounces just before it enters Boucher's gloves, the umpire made a very fluke decision to give that not out, obvious he did not see that.

Not the most picturesque knock but possibly his best test knock considering the difficulty of bowling and conditions.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Lillee v Viv Richards in the miracle match (Gillette Cup) for WA v QLD in the 70's, 4 consecutive bouncers, and bowled him on the last, they defended 77 to win

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
If you watch the slow motion, the ball actually bounces just before it enters Boucher's gloves, the umpire made a very fluke decision to give that not out, obvious he did not see that.

Not the most picturesque knock but possibly his best test knock considering the difficulty of bowling and conditions.
It's a hard innings to judge. It's the only time I've ever seen anyone survive Steyn in that form, which should make it one of the best. So many near edges, which just suggests it was an incredibly lucky one though. The way he was holding his off stump down meant he was making his own luck to a big degree though.