• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankads

Do you think mankads are against the spirit of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah I suspect something like short runs being signalled whenever the batsmen has taken excessive liberties is where this will end up. I don't see any sign that this debate is going to be resolved either way.
26 votes vs 6 on CW so far and the MCC has clarified their stance on it many times. Law has been in place for decades now. I'd say the debate is already resolved and some people just need to accept that they're on the wrong side of it and move on.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah... they are not gonna change the laws that easily. The debate is mostly from whingers. I think the short run is still very unfair on the bowler who has to endure a free hit in LO games for overstepping even by an inch. The no-run + free-ball, mirroring the no-ball + free-hit, seems the ideal solution to me.
Free hits are kind of dumb tbf, and I've never been at all convinced they actually add anything positive to the game

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Free hits are kind of dumb tbf, and I've never been at all convinced they actually add anything positive to the game
True, it was always a gimmick but my point is, that should be the equivalency at the very least.

Honestly speaking, given batsmen being out of their crease when ball is in play is an opportunity for dismissal in every scenario, I am really ok with this being the same here. Once again, its not that hard for batsmen to stay inside the crease till the ball is delivered.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An idea I had the other day is maybe to penalise the batting team 1 run for any runs scored off any balls where they had left the crease prior to the bowler releasing the ball. So they scramble a quick single, it's worth zip, if they hit a 6, it's only worth 5 etc. The third umpire can check for it at the same time he checks for the no-ball.
This may solve things for ICC games, but it does nothing for the game outside. The MCC laws can’t have this sort of rule because it’s not practical in club cricket.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the best solution is batters just getting good tbh

"you seen that line on the floor ****? well if your feet or bat aren't grounded behind that line you might be run out, try not to forget this hugely complex provision"
Same for tailenders

“you see that ball then don’t let it hit you even when you get bounced every ball”

Oh, I am sorry

That’s intimidatory bowling and against the spirit of the game

Not to worry

Stay in your crease & play forward :laugh:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Spinners should tell the batters when they plan to turn the ball. Also what direction they're going to turn it.
when I first got into cricket (yeah it actually did happen once upon a time) I always thought it was dumb that spinners had to identify as dedicated wrist/finger spinners or whatever at all tbh

didn't see why they couldn't just be a "spinner" in the general sense, not least because the best spinners of either designation can turn the ball the "wrong" way anyway

and to some extent I still don't really see why things are the way they are

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
when I first got into cricket (yeah it actually did happen once upon a time) I always thought it was dumb that spinners had to identify as dedicated wrist/finger spinners or whatever at all tbh

didn't see why they couldn't just be a "spinner" in the general sense, not least because the best spinners of either designation can turn the ball the "wrong" way anyway

and to some extent I still don't really see why things are the way they are
then you should have more of an issue with the terms legspinner/offspinner no?

wrist/finger spin is quite an important distinction imo. guys like rashid khan do blur the line quite a bit though tbf.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
then you should have more of an issue with the terms legspinner/offspinner no?

wrist/finger spin is quite an important distinction imo. guys like rashid khan do blur the line quite a bit though tbf.
Yeah this as well tbh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly dont think its a case of "player identifies as" as much as "player has been identified as" when it comes to the bowling classifications. Balaji was labelled Fast-Medium and yet Hardik is labelled Medium, for whatever reason, lol.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah... they are not gonna change the laws that easily. The debate is mostly from whingers. I think the short run is still very unfair on the bowler who has to endure a free hit in LO games for overstepping even by an inch. The no-run + free-ball, mirroring the no-ball + free-hit, seems the ideal solution to me.
Mate....there aren't too many who love the game more than me, and try to be as positive in the appraisal of it. I know you've said most, but it's not really fair to suggest people are whingers because it's something they've been brought up to believe. And based on my timeline, which is mostly people from Australia, England and NZ given that's where I've lived and played cricket, most are 'whingers'. One of the biggest issues of facebook etc is that it's an echo chamber of similar thoughts, and that's what I'm seeing as feedback.