• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is like the 5th time he's been arrested or breached the AVO in 18 months. Where is this going to lead? Is he gonna end up doing hard time

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Possibly. Or an extended period in a facility. The bloke is clearly very very troubled.

That’s not an excuse for what he’s done, just saying what’s pretty obvious. I genuinely fear for his well being.

Burgey

Burgeinho's team is playing a T20 tonight vs the Philippines National side.

It's a great privilege and honour for them, what with the Philippines' side being so lucky to get a game at Rouse Hill on a Wednesday evening.

Chubb

International Regular

It's a great privilege and honour for them, what with the Philippines' side being so lucky to get a game at Rouse Hill on a Wednesday evening.
Oh a guy in my hockey team plays cricket for the Philippines sometimes. I told him the NZ first class player Ken McClure is half-Filipino and they asked him to consider playing for them but at the moment he's concentrating on his NZ chances.

TheJediBrah

I remember playing a game against the Papua New Guinea national side when I was a teenager, we all thought they would be terrible but they actually had some crazy talented players. Fielding was off the charts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I remember playing a game against the Papua New Guinea national side when I was a teenager, we all thought they would be terrible but they actually had some crazy talented players. Fielding was off the charts.
Most of the PNG national players actually come from one small village too. It's crazy that they're as good as they are. I think they've been ranked as high as 17th in the world recently. They also fielded a team in South Australian Premier Cricket for a little while (until covid) that held its own.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I wish I could remember their names. There was this one guy who was about 5 foot tall, I think he opened the batting. When they were fielding I laced a cover drive that would have been into the boundary in less than a second, I stood there pretty happy with myself until I realised this guy had just lunged and smacked it down with an open palm like it was nothing

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh a guy in my hockey team plays cricket for the Philippines sometimes. I told him the NZ first class player Ken McClure is half-Filipino and they asked him to consider playing for them but at the moment he's concentrating on his NZ chances.
It wouldn't actually prevent that at all. Maybe scheduling conflicts? Obviously he'd be mad to make himself unavailable for NZ domestic games but could play for them during the winter so it seems like an odd answer. We saw how this kind of thing worked out for Tim David...

TheJediBrah

Actually I have a story about Philippines too, mate* of mine played for them this year in T20 qualifiers. Got his own cricinfo page and everything lol

*casual acquaintance who plays cricket

Chubb

International Regular
It wouldn't actually prevent that at all. Maybe scheduling conflicts? Obviously he'd be mad to make himself unavailable for NZ domestic games but could play for them during the winter so it seems like an odd answer. We saw how this kind of thing worked out for Tim David...
Yeah look I don't know the exact reasons he gave, only that he didn't commit. My hockey teammate said he was focusing on NZ.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think there's a random Bangladesh thoughts thread so I'll just stick it in here and tag @Aritro and @cnerd123 - interesting to see Bangladesh experimenting with Miraz as a T20 opener against UAE. He made a score yesterday and there's definitely some serious batting talent there Bangladesh aren't making proper use of, but I'm not sure T20 opener is really where it's best suited. He's much more proper batsman than the sort of pinch hitter they're probably hoping for there - he'd make a better top order bat in ODIs IMO. Saifuddin would've been a more interesting punt as T20 opener I think.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
And Michael Rippon. Played against NZ in April then played for NZ in July.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see cricketers of Asian (non Indian subcontinent) heritage starting to do well in NZ: McClure, Chapman, and Chu. Any others?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And Michael Rippon. Played against NZ in April then played for NZ in July.
Yeah true, but he was on the fringes anyway.

David went from totally dead career - delisted domestically - to gun for hire based entirely on how much he bullied associates, then used that to springboard to Aus selection.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think there's a random Bangladesh thoughts thread so I'll just stick it in here and tag @Aritro and @cnerd123 - interesting to see Bangladesh experimenting with Miraz as a T20 opener against UAE. He made a score yesterday and there's definitely some serious batting talent there Bangladesh aren't making proper use of, but I'm not sure T20 opener is really where it's best suited. He's much more proper batsman than the sort of pinch hitter they're probably hoping for there - he'd make a better top order bat in ODIs IMO. Saifuddin would've been a more interesting punt as T20 opener I think.
he's done okay as opener tbf. We really don't have anyone who can consistently go over the infield vs the new ball. The Tamim 2.0 pretenders like Soumay, Anamul, Sabbir have all failed, tho perhaps could give them a longer run.

Saifuddin better off clouting the old ball in the death. Him and Afif give us a good engine room at the back end, they just need to get Saifuddin more opportunities so he can develop.

Are these UAE matches being broadcast anywhere?