• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA t20 tournament

Marius

International Debutant
I initially thought bavuma not being picked was him being a bad t20 bat, but he averages roughly 33.8 @127 in t20's excluding t20I and has a 100 in the format, plus he's captaincy material. Feels odd that none of the franchises would pick him.
Only two batters with lower career SRs were picked up, I think Ackerman and Erwee and they were both much cheaper.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
I also feel he was a victim of circumstance, Reeza for one had similar international figures as he did prior to the England series and had he been fit and played decently in that one he might have at least gone for base price as Reeza went for more than a million eventually

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would have more sympathy for the argument that Bavuma priced himself out of contention if there had not been a number of players (particularly overseas) who sold, who don't, in my opinion, have a great pedigree. And when you get players like Donovan Ferreira who have a total of 19 games getting bought for millions... is Bavuma really over priced at R850K? He probably should have been put in at a lower price, and gotten better advice. But it is still a snub to a quality player, even if he is not the best out there. And I repeat this sentiment for players like Elgar.

Andile is a different kettle of fish, he has just not performed well enough, given plenty of opportunity, to truly be in contention.

Socerer 01

Only two batters with lower career SRs were picked up, I think Ackerman and Erwee and they were both much cheaper.
This just feeds into the rumor that the IPL stakeholders see this is a winter league for their showpiece league in India. Bavuma is probably never getting bought in the IPL due to the surplus of Indian batsmen who can do the same job

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This just feeds into the rumor that the IPL stakeholders see this is a winter league for their showpiece league in India. Bavuma is probably never getting bought in the IPL due to the surplus of Indian batsmen who can do the same job
Thats is exactly what this is, in best case scenario... this is an additional monies spinner for the IPL franchises and talent scouts. Hopefully this actually benefits SA cricket and are not just selling to the devil to further destroy SA cricket.

Marius

International Debutant
I would have more sympathy for the argument that Bavuma priced himself out of contention if there had not been a number of players (particularly overseas) who sold, who don't, in my opinion, have a great pedigree. And when you get players like Donovan Ferreira who have a total of 19 games getting bought for millions... is Bavuma really over priced at R850K? He probably should have been put in at a lower price, and gotten better advice. But it is still a snub to a quality player, even if he is not the best out there. And I repeat this sentiment for players like Elgar.

Andile is a different kettle of fish, he has just not performed well enough, given plenty of opportunity, to truly be in contention.
Ferreira may only have played 19 games but you can hardly sniff at his stats, SR of nearly 150 and averaging more than 50.

Those guys wouldn't fork out all that cash on him if they haven't done their homework. I reckon they did a bit more research than just looking at his numbers in Cricinfo.

And clearly Bavuma is overpriced at R850k, if that wasn't overpriced he would have gotten a gig.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ferreira may only have played 19 games but you can hardly sniff at his stats, SR of nearly 150 and averaging more than 50.

Those guys wouldn't fork out all that cash on him if they haven't done their homework. I reckon they did a bit more research than just looking at his numbers in Cricinfo.

And clearly Bavuma is overpriced at R850k, if that wasn't overpriced he would have gotten a gig.
So what you saying is that they rate Ferreira and therefore willing to pay monies and don't rate Bavuma and not willing to pay for him... I think we all understand that... time will tell if they are right or not.

I think they overpaid for Ferreira and let Bavuma go foolishly...

Marius

International Debutant
So what you saying is that they rate Ferreira and therefore willing to pay monies and don't rate Bavuma and not willing to pay for him... I think we all understand that... time will tell if they are right or not.

I think they overpaid for Ferreira and let Bavuma go foolishly...
Here is a good (long) read on the auction. Dude thinks Ferreira is slightly overpriced.

Socerer 01

Ferreira absolutely benefited from auction meta games. Johannesburg were saving up for a good middle order finisher either domestic or overseas and Ferreira happened to come at the right time when they had some money left over and other teams had a decent purse to challenge the bid too

Stefan9

International Debutant
Ferreira went for that price cause 3 teams wanted him. Strikerate is king in t20 and he strikes close to 150.
Bavuma's last 2 t20 tournaments/series were a disaster in terms of strikerate and no one is paying for elgar with an under 120 strikerate. Bavuma had strikerates of sub 120's for last year's wc and the last India tour, that likely had a big bearing.

Stefan9

International Debutant
1 wildcard spot per team introduced post wc. PCB have now allowed Pakistan players to take part.

PCB allows Pakistan cricketers to sign up for SA20 league

League also signed a 10 year deal with viacom for the India market.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
1 wildcard spot per team introduced post wc. PCB have now allowed Pakistan players to take part.

PCB allows Pakistan cricketers to sign up for SA20 league

League also signed a 10 year deal with viacom for the India market.

Hopefully this somehow means Pak players can end up playing in the IPL.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Cape Town signed Joffra Archer as their wild card. Port Elizabeth went with Jordann Hermann.

Rest have time till 30 December.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cape Town signed Joffra Archer as their wild card. Port Elizabeth went with Jordann Hermann.

Rest have time till 30 December.
So Cape Town's best XI might look like:

Roelofson
Marshall
van der Dussen
Brevis
Livingstone
Potigier
Linde
Rashid
Curran
Archer
Rabada

Most OP T20 side ever?

Socerer 01

Odean, Jansen and Rickelton are all still on the bench. Certainly up there as a great T20 side and it is totally legal that they were able to secure so many good players on cheaper contracts

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Could marshall bat 4? Brevis did insanely well in the recent t20 challenge opening, would be a huge waste to bat him at 4 tbh.