• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand contract probably peanuts compared to what he can make on the t20 circuit, so even if the ladies were paid literally pennies doubt it would change much for Boult's financial POV.
It's actually not an insignificant amount of money that Boult's walking away from. The top ranked contracted players (and Boult is probably #2 on the list) earn about half a million NZD, the majority of which (probably around 85%) would come from the salary and tour match fees. Admittedly that's dwarfed by his IPL salary ($1.6 million NZD) but not by so much as to make it immaterial.

thierry henry

International Coach
Can it not simultaneously be true that NZC doesn't have as much money as overseas T20 leagues, that anyone who rage quits because women are getting money can GTFO, but that our contract offers to top male players might in some cases be sub-optimal (on in future turn out to be sub-optimal) because of debatable allocation of funds that is at least worthy of discussion?

Yes I realise this is an entirely hypothetical and pointless "both sides are fine people" centrist dickhead post.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can it not simultaneously be true that NZC doesn't have as much money as overseas T20 leagues, that anyone who rage quits because women are getting money can GTFO, but that our contract offers to top male players might in some cases be sub-optimal (on in future turn out to be sub-optimal) because of debatable allocation of funds that is at least worthy of discussion?
Yes but the most important thing is worker solidarity, friend.

Flem274*

123/5
There were plenty of Black Caps not happy with that deal. You’re paying Trent Boult 2500 per 20/20 game, the same as some no name women’s cricketer who again, don’t bring in the same attendance nor tv numbers as someone like Boult.

All you fellas cheering for the equal pay, I hope you don’t mind watching us lose cricketers early and often to this type of thing
bro if that's the case (it isn't) then someone should explain to these guys the only way you're gonna earn 2500 for 3 hours work outside sport is by getting bruised knees behind the wendys.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Is cricket going to go down the football (soccer) route where ultimately in years to come T20 leagues over-take the international game? And more-so, international windows are created, whereas currently it's the other way round?

It's more just a sign of the times where the mighty $ rules all and players want to set themselves up financially for the future. Bowling 4 overs a day, rather the hard-slog of 20 overs for a normal Test day.

Boult has given NZC a lot, and for me he makes an NZ all-time Test/ODI team. This news doesn't change his legacy.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leaves us in a precarious position with him gone from Tests, Wagner on way out, Southee probably got 1-2 years max, Henry not a proven performer etc. Our batting should be OK but gee, we are going to have to work out quickly how to take 20 wickets with so much experience gone, our poor selection practices around spinners etc.
I think I might need to find a new cult hero to support in this forthcoming age of international mediocrity.

Mike5181

International Captain
I don't blame Boult for one second, any one of these guys could go out there and pull a David Lawrence and suffer a career-ending injury. Having said that, I don't want to support a team filled with T20 mercs that cherry-pick which internationals they play. The money is still great and there's plenty of guys that would kill for the opportunity.

I for one welcome new test cap Blair Tickner.

thundaboult

International Debutant
That test bowling attack is in even more of a serious jeopardy....our best bowler from the eng series was boult and he's basically done. But what a player he has been for us while under contract. My favourite modern day bowler, an absolute joy to watch in red ball cricket. A world champion in test cricket. Hope to see him lift a white ball world cup before he fully retires :(

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't blame Boult for one second, any one of these guys could go out there and pull a David Lawrence and suffer a career-ending injury. Having said that, I don't want to support a team filled with T20 mercs that cherry-pick which internationals they play. The money is still great and there's plenty of guys that would kill for the opportunity.

I for one welcome new test cap Blair Tickner.
Tickner is such a spud, but agree with this sentiment. Boults best years are probably behind him so I don't think this is really as big a blow as it would've been 4 years ago

Flem274*

123/5
It's actually not an insignificant amount of money that Boult's walking away from. The top ranked contracted players (and Boult is probably #2 on the list) earn about half a million NZD, the majority of which (probably around 85%) would come from the salary and tour match fees. Admittedly that's dwarfed by his IPL salary ($1.6 million NZD) but not by so much as to make it immaterial.
tl;dr - being paid more money than a doctor (including your talent being developed at no cost to you by NZC) to play cricket for NZ is an amazing job, it's barely a 'real' job compared to the absolute drudgery of most jobs and I will think less of any future players who choose to maximise their bank balance over entertaining their community.

So I'm going to be an outlier on this and I'll preface by saying a 33 year old who has broken his back before is a smart and good guy for looking to secure as much as he can before moving onto his next career. Also being away from family sucks, no matter the money, so that's excluded from what I say below. This isn't aimed at Boult but the looming trend and the narrative being laid for it.

IMO if New Zealand international representation becomes secondary to franchise trash, it is a poor reflection on the players. It reflects on you as a person if you choose to represent a cynical, pretend entity that does not matter for all the money rather than your community (who created you as a player) for a lot of money and hoped you would represent them.

I reckon the majority of people who are NZ cricket fans earn between 60-100k NZD a year, a lot of us have much earned less than that in the old days before moving up, some will earn more than 100k now and a lucky few might have started on the higher end.

Sportsmen in general don't understand how fortunate they are to earn six figures basically from the get-go. Kodi Nikorima, a trash tier former Warriors player whose main talent was rushing out of the line and missing tackles, earned more than our Prime Minister for this.

Most jobs are boring, that's why they're jobs. Many people will spend decades doing something that is often perfectly fine at best for a reasonable amount of money and many more will spend decades doing something ****ing lame for less. Professional sportsman is one of the best jobs in the world, if not the best. You get to play a game for a living, you have tons of fans and you earn more money than absolute elite skilled people in the community with extremely important jobs to society. Even better, unlike the people we know we actually need in society NZC paid to train you since you were a teenager. You didn't pay a cent.

So I diverge from the "can't blame the players" narrative. I understand it, but let's call it what it is. Greed. You can't legitimately sit on 200-500k per annum for playing an elaborate game of catch and claim you've been hard done by because professional game players in another country earn more. If New Zealand players start doing this in a New Zealand context, they are entitled man children with no understanding of how the average person lives, and this is understandable because they've never been in that position.

I absolutely would swindle some loser out of millions to bowl half volleys if I could (the KJ move), because my greedy eyes would light up. I freely admit this, but if I was getting paid six figures to be a golden god for NZ then I would not even pretend the NZC money pushed me away. It's the best job in the world ffs. You absolutely can blame the players, and those West Indian guys in particular can get ****ed. I can genuinely say if I got talented overnight at cricket and played for NZ I'd know I've hit the jackpot in life.

Last edited: