• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I guess that means we'll still have him for home series but probably not overseas tours? Sad days, we already know our bowling stocks aren't great.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, and presumably he's signed for the UAE T20 league in January/February too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Hmm...
Oh bugger me boots. Thin end of the wedge etc. Obviously NZC are unable to compete with the $ that can be made from these leagues. Equivalent of All Blacks heading overseas to Japan or Europe.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That was always going to come. Trent has 3 kids (?) I think now, he's a smart guy, making boatloads of cash in T20 leagues etc.

I can't begrudge someone who has given their all like him.

Leaves us in a precarious position with him gone from Tests, Wagner on way out, Southee probably got 1-2 years max, Henry not a proven performer etc. Our batting should be OK but gee, we are going to have to work out quickly how to take 20 wickets with so much experience gone, our poor selection practices around spinners etc.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That doesn't affect his contract in any way, so why would he care? And then why would he give up said contract and just have match fees, which are the only things that have actually been made equal?

Think it's more likely to be the hundreds of thousands he can make in a few weeks in the UAE this summer myself.

RossTaylorsBox

That doesn't affect his contract in any way, so why would he care? And then why would he give up said contract and just have match fees, which are the only things that have actually been made equal?

Think it's more likely to be the hundreds of thousands he can make in a few weeks in the UAE this summer myself.
Or the fact he's 33 years old and trying to maximise his earnings while he can. Watch the hooting gomers blame the equal pay thing on the men's team sucking eggs as well.

Howsie

International Captain
So Trent packed a sad because women got paid more? Lmao what a baby
There were plenty of Black Caps not happy with that deal. You’re paying Trent Boult 2500 per 20/20 game, the same as some no name women’s cricketer who again, don’t bring in the same attendance nor tv numbers as someone like Boult.

All you fellas cheering for the equal pay, I hope you don’t mind watching us lose cricketers early and often to this type of thing

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Players "retiring" prematurely is very mid-late-2000s vibes. We're in a dark place.
If we are then so are a lot of countries. de Kock retiring for SA, Stoakes calling it quits on ODI's for England. Covid bubbles have basically sucked all the fun out of touring and turned it into an abysmal slog. What's more with the IPL growing and more and more T20 leagues popping into existence, the upside to walking away from national contracts just keeps going up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There were plenty of Black Caps not happy with that deal. You’re paying Trent Boult 2500 per 20/20 game, the same as some no name women’s cricketer who again, don’t bring in the same attendance nor tv numbers as someone like Boult.

All you fellas cheering for the equal pay, I hope you don’t mind watching us lose cricketers early and often to this type of thing
Any actual evidence for this? Because Boult has been dialling down his availability for NZ since way before the equal-pay agreements. Basically ever since Covid started it's clear he's not been keen on touring any longer and that any cricket for NZ (including tests) is of secondary importance in comparison to his availability for the IPL. He's skipped tests v England, South Africa and India while maximising his availability for the IPL. This news just seems like the inevitable extension of the direction his career has been going in for some time tbh.

RossTaylorsBox

Good, I'm glad that all the thin skinned losers will be gone.

thierry henry

International Coach
If we are then so are a lot of countries. de Kock retiring for SA, Stoakes calling it quits on ODI's for England. Covid bubbles have basically sucked all the fun out of touring and turned it into an abysmal slog. What's more with the IPL growing and more and more T20 leagues popping into existence, the upside to walking away from national contracts just keeps going up.
Yes, so are a lot of countries. Yes, elite cricket is becoming worse for the fans because of the focus on T20 leagues (which are very bad and evil) over international non-T20 cricket (which is very good and righteous).

thierry henry

International Coach
Good, I'm glad that all the thin skinned losers will be gone.
Well hang on, you just said it's perfectly understandable players would give up NZ contracts because they're not lucrative enough, now you're saying they're thin skinned losers for not thinking the contracts are lucrative enough?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see our pace attack in the next 18 months. Huge opportunity for the likes of Duffy, Sears, Tickner, Smith etc