• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Some combination of 1.Green/puc 2.Gill/Shaw 3.Pope & 4.Verrenyne could very well be a new fab 4, all under 25 with great domestic records and have had decent showings at international level without really being able to nail down a spot.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It is Rachin time
**** I was trying to think of young kiwi bats to fit the same 4 countries as the old fab 4 and only one that came to mind was Allen, my bad for defaulting on rachin. He's not on the same tier as the others domestically YET, but if you want to keep Crowe's structure fully respect rachin over verrenyene.

Flem274*

123/5
ravindra is an interesting one. he's 21 and has the two worst jobs in nz domestic cricket - opening the batting and bowling spin. he also made his FC debut for NZ A (nzc basically sending wellington the message not to dick about and be cute with his career).

averaging 38 with the bat and 58 with the ball is in some ways exceptional for a 21 year old playing his roles in nz domestic, especially factoring in he loves to play his shots rather than bat conservatively, but it's definitely not results that scream test standard right now or results that compare favourably to the guys already mentioned.

i think he could play test cricket situationally i.e. at home against lower ranked test sides, but we'd be bold to select him against india in india.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
ravindra is an interesting one. he's 21 and has the two worst jobs in nz domestic cricket - opening the batting and bowling spin. he also made his FC debut for NZ A (nzc basically sending wellington the message not to dick about and be cute with his career).

averaging 38 with the bat and 58 with the ball is in some ways exceptional for a 21 year old playing his roles in nz domestic, especially factoring in he loves to play his shots rather than bat conservatively, but it's definitely not results that scream test standard right now or results that compare favourably to the guys already mentioned.

i think he could play test cricket situationally i.e. at home against lower ranked test sides, but we'd be bold to select him against india in india.
I saw him make that ton and take 5fer vs Windies A last year, he's alot better than his numbers suggest, reckon hede average low 40's if he came in at 5/6/7 for NZ with the top order you guys have.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Fab fours

Batsmen
1. Smith
2. Kohli
3. Williamson
4. Root

Pacers
1. Cummins
2. Rabada
3. Bumrah
4. Jamieson

Allrounders
1. Stokes
2. Shakib
3. Jadeja
4. Holder

Spinners
1. Ashwin
2. -------
3. --------
4. --------
It's a barren cupboard

Keepers
1. QDK
2. Pant
3. Rizwan
4. ---------

Hack Lords
1. Thakur
2. Hasan Ali
3. Sam Curran
4. Travis Head

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
jamieson is a bowler who can bat, not an allrounder. holder should be in that spot.

archers not in those guys class. probable swap with hazlewood or jamieson if you want similar age range.

blundell isn't as good as those dudes.

very harsh on hasan ali.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
jamieson is a bowler who can bat, not an allrounder. holder should be in that spot.

archers not in those guys class. probable swap with hazlewood or jamieson if you want similar age range.

blundell isn't as good as those dudes.

very harsh on hasan ali.
Agreed on the first 2 swaps and Blundell drop as of now. But once Archer is back from injury, I have confidence that he will do very well to be spoken of in the same breath as these other top pacers.

Shady Slim

International Coach
smith kohli then daylight imho

root's failures to big up in australia when it matters count hugely against him because for an english cricketer if you can't perform here then to me that's huge. whereas kohli has big boy'd it on tour here

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
smith kohli then daylight imho

root's failures to big up in australia when it matters count hugely against him because for an english cricketer if you can't perform here then to me that's huge. whereas kohli has big boy'd it on tour here
Kohli also hasn't been able to make a run for 3 years. His peak was great but root is ahead of him ATM.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
I think Kohli is still slightly ahead of Root and Williamson overall, but Root and Williamson are better players so I think both of them will end up ahead of Kohli by the end. Kohli will have a decline like Ponting’s.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the extra weighting on recent times, Root is clearly and deservedly the best Test bat in the world at the moment.

Smith 2nd &, Kohli and KW out of the conversation.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah right now the gap between Root and the rest is as big as it was between Smith and the rest in, like, 2016-17, if not bigger.