• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t see why. If they’re worried about players faking injuries (which I think is ridiculous, what player is going to willingly jeopardise their career like that?) just make it a requirement that the teams get an independent medical professional to certify that the player is unable to participate in the rest of the match. The general success of concussion/covid replacements has shown that there are workable options for allowing injury substitutes, and I think it’s about time that this be extended to more general injury/illness.
Given we can't even have runners any more because teams abuse it, I don't see how this is workable. Think mid-game injuries are going to have to remain in the realm of 'bad luck'.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don’t see why. If they’re worried about players faking injuries (which I think is ridiculous, what player is going to willingly jeopardise their career like that?) just make it a requirement that the teams get an independent medical professional to certify that the player is unable to participate in the rest of the match. The general success of concussion/covid replacements has shown that there are workable options for allowing injury substitutes, and I think it’s about time that this be extended to more general injury/illness.
It's not without precedent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
so glad to hear that the sky commentators have finally learnt the difference between a bluff and a double-bluff.

Jay London

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Foakes has covid and been replaced by Sam Billings it looks like. Why didn't they go for Jos Butler? Would have fitted this team perfectly
Seems a difficult task to judge what a like for like replacement is. In the match situation (NZ 5 wickets down - no amazing spin to keep to) Billings would seem more likely to succeed with the bat than Foakes - being a batter who keeps.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Seems a difficult task to judge what a like for like replacement is. In the match situation (NZ 5 wickets down - no amazing spin to keep to) Billings would seem more likely to succeed with the bat than Foakes - being a batter who keeps.
Foakes has batted well this series though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They just mentioned that. Four in total! Bill Athey took over briefly from Bruce French while 45 year old Bob Taylor got kitted. Taylor was there entertaining guests in a sponsors tent. Then a local keeper took over from Taylor the next day.

Thank you. I'd forgotten about Athey's brief stint behind the stumps. Taylor was the one I did remember.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Potts has been very good this series. I know England produce a lot of that right arm medium pace seam-up style of bowler, who often don't do well away from home, but I think he attacks the crease better than someone like Chris Woakes and very capable of just dotting up over after over too.
There's an interesting sub-plot going on here about who will be England's 3rd seamer against India if Anderson and broad are both fit. Potts the better bowler, but Overton a genuine option at number 8.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah, very lucky Daz, that’s exactly how Maharaj accounted for him in the SA series earlier this year.