• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
England just need to bat normally until lunch, ideally 30-0. Pick up the pace in the afternoon maybe and get to 140-150, then see if it's worth going for later on. But NZ can just go defensive when they like - spread fields, wide and short bowling, etc. Wickets are the currency though. You think England could only be two down at tea if they're going for it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have you been watching this wicket and outfield. Get any bat on anything and it's four. If Root bats as he has the last two innings, I think England will walk this....
Lolwut? 300 in two and a bit sessions on day five with no fielding restrictions? This isn’t stuck* cricket ffs

*edit: stick. Though given this is an NZ thread, I’ll take the typo

Xuhaib

International Coach
Either they will (McCullum ball) or they’ll lose their nerve and play out the draw. Either option vastly more likely than us rolling them on a featherbed.

But really this is about us being in a dark place generally, finding ways to lose, and having a terrible history of batting like **** in the 3rd innings and then letting the opposition chase down a challenging total in the 4th. Losing in this exact scenario is an NZ trope.
No way england chasing 300 @ 4 and a bit if some how you get root before tea I think NZ will be favourites even if England is 3 down.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
You can’t afford to give them a sniff when you’re 1-0 down already though. They’ve got a pretty inexperienced line up for the most part. Bat them out of it, set attacking fields, bowl decent areas and be a bit patient.
Really? We've set them 299 off 72 overs at 4.1 on 5th day pitch. Which team would be insane to try and chase that particularly leading the series 1-0. Don't think even Stokes and Baz would be that positive.

If England decide to shut shop it will be a tame draw.

We're 1 down already and we're happy to draw 1-1 or lose 2-0?

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
England have been dreadful this morning.

I don't anticipate that changing over the remainder of the day.

Crawley caught at slip attempting a booming cover drive by the 5th over, anyone?

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I'm definitely not with this tactic of having batted out time for 12 overs and then smashing for 3-4 overs to set England 4 RPO.

Technically we didn't want to punt a loss.

Root yesterday in an interview said they're happy to chase upto 300. I don't think so unless they score 70-80 runs before lunch.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? We've set them 299 off 72 overs at 4.1 on 5th day pitch. Which team would be insane to try and chase that particularly leading the series 1-0. Don't think even Stokes and Baz would be that positive.

If England decide to shut shop it will be a tame draw.

We're 1 down already and we're happy to draw 1-1 or lose 2-0?
Yeah all that, but it’s flat for a day five deck. If you set them 250 and they get a flier it really is on, given that would have been declaring say 45 minutes and however many overs earlier.

Genuinely think NZ’s best chance here is to do what they’ve done. Bowl eight to ten tight overs up front either side of lunch and England is out of it. Then set whatever fields you like all arvo and watch their young blokes crumble like saos in a blender.