• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnerd123

likes this
Axar definitely next after Ashwin and Jadeja in the pecking order and then we have Sundar, who is also not that great as a spinner. But not much after that. Hopefully, a budding talent comes through.
Bishoni baby. Otswal looked good from the current U19 crop as well.

I think by the time Axar/Washy/Kuldeep are all hanging up the boots we'll have some good spinners ready. We are talking about 2 generations down the line, plenty of time for someone to emerge.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Axar's skillset is also predicated on the kind of wickets he's played on so far. Remains to be seen how he goes on flatter surfaces. He's accurate enough so he'll always have that, but I doubt he has anything by way of actual variations to make a dent in unfavorable conditions.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Axar's skillset is also predicated on the kind of wickets he's played on so far. Remains to be seen how he goes on flatter surfaces. He's accurate enough so he'll always have that, but I doubt he has anything by way of actual variations to make a dent in unfavorable conditions.
If he's Jadeja like that'll do as long as our pace bowling holds up. If we can find another pacer who can bat, then could also just play Sundar instead (hopefully as a proper bat who can bowl a bit).

Kuldeep isn't even a question, and rightfully so. The guy **** himself.

cnerd123

likes this
insert relevant Jarrod Kimber video here

Summary for those who don't want to watch - Hawkeye data shows that Axar is unique compared to other SLA's because

A) He has a higher release point that almost any other bowler going around, or any SLA ever (same release height as Jamieson!)
B) He bowls wider from the crease than any other SLA either, which means he has a unique angle and is constantly attacking the stumps
C) He bowls quicker on average than most spinners.
D) He is ridiculously accurate.

Suggests that even if playing on a pitch that doesn't rag a lot, he'll provide enough control and a unique enough challenge to opposition batters that he should be able to reliably hold up an end.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I too have high hopes of Axar leading the attack once Ash-Jaddu retire, with Sundar as second spinning all-rounder. Thought about Bishnoi but he is yet to play a first class match, so totally unproven.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We basically are looking at Axar as the replacement for AShwin and Washy as the replacement for Jaddu. Its fine. It will work, IMO.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
insert relevant Jarrod Kimber video here

Summary for those who don't want to watch - Hawkeye data shows that Axar is unique compared to other SLA's because

A) He has a higher release point that almost any other bowler going around, or any SLA ever (same release height as Jamieson!)
B) He bowls wider from the crease than any other SLA either, which means he has a unique angle and is constantly attacking the stumps
C) He bowls quicker on average than most spinners.
D) He is ridiculously accurate.

Suggests that even if playing on a pitch that doesn't rag a lot, he'll provide enough control and a unique enough challenge to opposition batters that he should be able to reliably hold up an end.
The first point is a surprise to me. Rest are obvious but one thing that separates Axar from Jaddu/Washi is that he can beat the batsmen in the air as well. He is the most versatile SLA I can think of.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
If he's Jadeja like that'll do as long as our pace bowling holds up. If we can find another pacer who can bat, then could also just play Sundar instead (hopefully as a proper bat who can bowl a bit).

Kuldeep isn't even a question, and rightfully so. The guy **** himself.
What are you talking about?

He took a 5fer in Sydney(DNB in second innings) and got another game 2 years later where he picked 2 wickets in 12 overs. What has he done to be axed from test cricket? I don't think we need him in white ball cricket but just because Bevda&Ko had the habit of making random changes doesn't mean there was anything wrong with Kuldeep.

I am not saying that Kuldeep will be an automatic pick, we'll see how he does in future. But writing him off doesn't make sense atm.

Last edited:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I have seen him bowl on the flattest Rajkot pitches(where young Jaddu has scoring triple centuries even not yet up to the mark with the bat). I can tell you he is really good at reading the pitch and adjusting his pace and overall approach.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Was Axar such a phenomenon before playing his first test? No AFAIK. His stats and then this "uniqueness" of his style feels ... too good to be true!

cnerd123

likes this
Was Axar such a phenomenon before playing his first test?
Yes! He was already doing really well in whiteball cricket for India and in the IPL. I'm certain all the coaches and batters who faced him knew he was something special. Great Ranji numbers too. It's just us armchair casuals who had no idea he was set to take the world by storm.

Much like how Bumrah kinda came out of nowhere, we have to give the Indian team management/selectors credit for identifying his potential and fast tracking him into the side.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Was Axar such a phenomenon before playing his first test? No AFAIK. His stats and then this "uniqueness" of his style feels ... too good to be true!
Yes. Surprised by how much he has improved in white ball cricket but he was definitely a bright prospect for tests with his pin-point accuracy and ability to adjust his pace based on the conditions.

Yes! He was already doing really well in whiteball cricket for India and in the IPL. I'm certain all the coaches and batters who faced him knew he was something special. Great Ranji numbers too. It's just us armchair casuals who had no idea he was set to take the world by storm.

Much like how Bumrah kinda came out of nowhere, we have to give the Indian team management/selectors credit for identifying his potential and fast tracking him into the side.
He was with the Mumbai Indians earlier but didn't get any game if I am correct. Getting picked by a different team opened up more opportunities for him. But it's a shame that IPL gave him the spotlight(and selectors' attention) that he deserved and not domestic cricket.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In White ball cricket Axar was decent but he was so far behind in the pecking order. Jadeja and Ashwin were always ahead of him. KulCha also leapfrogged him even though they came late.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Funny how we always missed an AR(even a bits and pieces one) in the past and we didn't do anything with the ones we had. Reetinder Sodhi, Rajat Bhatia, Joginder Sharma, etc. come to my mind. Also, we were desperately in need of tear-away pacers a decade ago, didn't do **** with Kamran Khan & Ishwar Chaudhary who consistently hit 140ks. Kamran was clearly chucking to begin with and came back with a corrected action with the same pace. Both of them just disappeared.

Not saying they should have just walked into the national team, but would have been nice to see them in A tours. They both had raw talent.

Holy ****, Kamran had moved back to tennis ball:(

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Remember Ravi Shastri said they had expected him to play tests far before he ended up doing, maybe even ahead of Jadeja at some point at home I believe. He got injured, maybe before the RSA series in 2015 or whatever and that slowed his rise down I guess.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Starting to think that Krunal Pandya is not in the team because of his attitude issues or something. Was OK in whatever chances he got and can really bowl some tight overs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Starting to think that Krunal Pandya is not in the team because of his attitude issues or something. Was OK in whatever chances he got and can really bowl some tight overs.
If he has to get in, it has to be through his bowling since there are no batting spots currently. I think quite a few are in front of him but he can atleast leapfrog Kuldeep if he bowls well in ipl since he can bat too.

Hooda and Krunal in same team. Almost Vijay and Karthik level ?

cnerd123

likes this
Krunal is a myth and Hardik is fast becoming one too.

Pandya brothers need to start delivering more than just heavy loads into supermodels and glam pics on Instagram.

cnerd123

likes this
Go bored made this

1646122582475.png

data as per statsguru. Technically should be 'seasons' and not 'years', but the general pattern would be the same. The last time the Rolling 5 Year batting average in India was this low was all the way back in the mid '70s. Hasn't been this bad for batters in the last 50 years.