• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haris Rauf, Lungi Ngidi, Shannon Gabriel and Lahiru Kumara have majestic behinds.
Look, if you want to go down this path - we'll have to start a whole thread about it because this is one of my great fast bowling hobby horses.

Brett Lee had the greatest fast bowling arse of all time, and I say that based on science. The greatness of the West Indies was built around powerful gluteals. Bruce Reid was perpetually injured because he wasn't able to harness the power of the arse. I just have no time for fast bowlers without massive behinds, and in fact believe they're embarrassing themselves by being flat-assed. It just isn't right, like an Olympic diver wearing board shorts or some such.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Look, if you want to go down this path - we'll have to start a whole thread about it because this is one of my great fast bowling hobby horses.

Brett Lee had the greatest fast bowling arse of all time, and I say that based on science. The greatness of the West Indies was built around powerful gluteals. Bruce Reid was perpetually injured because he wasn't able to harness the power of the arse. I just have no time for fast bowlers without massive behinds, and in fact believe they're embarrassing themselves by being flat-assed. It just isn't right, like an Olympic diver wearing board shorts or some such.
Its what makes Lord the Lord too, I guess.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just caught up with some highlights. Truly pathetic batting,but some of the shots were not out of character to be honest. Over to the bowlers to keep SA in the game again. Tough ask,especially with all the catches shelled.
My friend Xi88743 or whatever his name won't agree, but we'll have to come to terms with the fact that Test cricket on green wickets is going to be played the way SA did yesterday because of the modern approach/mindset on batting. No great desire to leave outside off stump (albeit the best practitioner, Elgar went early) and almost a mentality of 'I'm going to get out so I should get as many as I can'.

I didn't watch all of it but did watch for periods, and yeah it did a bit - but Stuurman's was the only one you could argue was unplayable, and maybe Erwee's was one you walk off and wonder what you did wrong. The rest were poor technique or playing at balls they shouldn't have. Which was quite common, most batsmen were defending/playing into the off side on 5th stump.

That's one of my great annoyances about modern Test batting, the reluctance to grind out to a competitive score when inserted on a green one. 200 would have been a competitive score, as evidenced by the chances SA got in the field. Guys like Dravid, innings' like Michael Clarke's 150 epic in SA on a dirty green one v Steyn and co, they just don't happen anymore. Sub-par techniques and sub-par determination to leave outside off stump and frustrate bowlers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My friend Xi88743 or whatever his name won't agree, but we'll have to come to terms with the fact that Test cricket on green wickets is going to be played the way SA did yesterday because of the modern approach/mindset on batting. No great desire to leave outside off stump (albeit the best practitioner, Elgar went early) and almost a mentality of 'I'm going to get out so I should get as many as I can'.

I didn't watch all of it but did watch for periods, and yeah it did a bit - but Stuurman's was the only one you could argue was unplayable, and maybe Erwee's was one you walk off and wonder what you did wrong. The rest were poor technique or playing at balls they shouldn't have. Which was quite common, most batsmen were defending/playing into the off side on 5th stump.

That's one of my great annoyances about modern Test batting, the reluctance to grind out to a competitive score when inserted on a green one. 200 would have been a competitive score, as evidenced by the chances SA got in the field. Guys like Dravid, innings' like Michael Clarke's 150 epic in SA on a dirty green one v Steyn and co, they just don't happen anymore. Sub-par techniques and sub-par determination to leave outside off stump and frustrate bowlers.
TBF away game first innings batting collapses are a thing too in these days of no FC practice games.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF away game first innings batting collapses are a thing too in these days of no FC practice games.
Yep, that too. All consequences of the squeeze on the calendar, again largely caused by T20 franchise cricket.

(even if Jarrod Kimber says that's not true)

Flem274*

123/5
I suspect the simpler explanation of a lack of match practice and quality caused the collapse. The SA lads aren't known as white ball smash heroes on the whole.

Hagley Oval is a really fun pitch but I think we underestimate how hostile the pace and bounce is to players lacking game time (yesterday it was a tad slow - speaking generally).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is important.

We know what we're getting with Matt Henry - he's a bowler that is effective only in a very narrow set of environments. He needs grass cover in order to produce bounce and carry, given he bowls a flat length when there's not, and enough in the air that it wobbles a bit...or a white ball, but by god not between overs 35-50. Trouble is, given he's a Cantabrian, Stead might be keen to play him more when Boult/Wagner/Southee move on.
Wagner's the one I'm most concerned for on the basis of what we've seen of him thus far this season. He's looking well down on pace, operating in the 125-130kmh zone and looking it to boot. Throw in the fact that he's turning 36 next month and I fear Wagnerball may finally be coming to an end.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wagner's the one I'm most concerned for on the basis of what we've seen of him thus far this season. He's looking well down on pace, operating in the 125-130kmh zone and looking it to boot. Throw in the fact that he's turning 36 next month and I fear Wagnerball may finally be coming to an end.
Had to happen sometime, it's been a hell of a ride regardless.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Fred Trueman likes this post.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain

To be fair a lot is loaded against the modern day batsmen. Most pitches around the world have nothing going for batters. Probably the only two countries that are still producing decks that are of equal measure for both batting and bowling are Australia and England.

Add to that short of time to acclimatize unlike the old days. Pitches like the Hagley used to be rare but these are regulars these days. Go to India, they produce unplayable pitches, so does other countries. Although I love the fact we're winning heaps at home I still think it doesn't make for a great viewing for paying public. Even before the first ball is bowled you know winning the toss and bowling first gives us massive advantage. If we lose the toss it can be a bit of a lottery but our guys bat on these all the time so they know how to bail out. Grit, determination, technique is all fine but it is still a lottery. I'm not for one way or the other, there needs to be some balance between bat and ball. Often we don't see that in NZ. Bowlers barely need a skill, they have to run in bowl at a length and walk off with plenty of wickets. Spinners don't come into play either.

It's a feel good factor winning but definitely not great viewing.

Come to think of it, a batsman can get out blocking, driving, leaving, cutting, pulling to any bowlers on display. What shot can you play with confidence really? You could block and leave for like 100 balls scoring 20 runs and you can nick off. Run rates at under 2 mostly. Most of the runs scored from edges. I don't think it makes for a great viewing of batting. Fast bowling you can definitely watch and admire.

nzfan

Maybe there should be less points for wins at home and more points for draws/wins overseas.

Also abolish toss and let visiting team choose what they want to do.

nzfan

Trying too hard Rabada. He plays so much white ball cricket and surely he can't afford to bowl as many no balls.

Bowled some pearlers but looking tired and out of sorts. Not the Rabada I know of