• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendan Taylor admits to taking money, not reporting approach over match fixing

cnerd123

likes this
throw the book at him
Taylor delayed reporting that meeting in India because, he said, he wanted to protect his family. He describes substance abuse having taken place during that meeting in a statement on Twitter, which he says led to him being allegedly blackmailed. The men he had met, Taylor said, stormed into his hotel room the next day, and threatened to release video of the substance abuse unless he carried out spot-fixing for them. He was given USD 15,000 - which he said he took to flee India - and told it was a deposit for a future payment once the fix was carried out.
Bit harsh. He didn't even spot fix.

Should get punished for the delay in reporting the meeting, but I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs to keep himself and his family safe. The substance in question was cocaine btw, and he's entering rehab for it tomorrow. Best wishes to him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again the focus is on the symptom that is the player involved rather than the disease which is the prevalence and influence of illegal bookmakers in India.
100% agree. It's in a lot of ways, analogous to the Warner/Sandpaper scenario. Yes, the sandpaper and the cocaine use is illegal and not to be condoned...in isolation. But it was pre-empted by worse behaviour, which in this case is blackmail and match fixing. Without that, the other behaviour doesn't exist.

I'd love to the ICC to come out and say we support Brendan Taylor and his rehabilitation, and no punishments will be dished out. Instead, we want to highlight that the issue here is corrupt Indian bookmakers, and we will work with authorities to remove this black mark on the game.

thierry henry

International Coach
Obviously it was the illicit nature of the cocaine use that created the possibility for blackmail, however beyond that I'm struggling to see the connection between the crime and the need for "rehabilitation"? Obviously Taylor isn't obliged to tell us about all of his personal problems but this is framed as an open and honest confession yet there seems to be a glaring omission somewhere between "I made a terrible choice to do cocaine with these guys in 2019" and "I am now in rehab for my drug issues". I'm always skeptical when rehab somehow derives from tangentially drug-related misconduct because it seems to prey on misconceptions about "drug use" being inextricably linked with deep-seated mental health issues and general personal crisis. Anyway, now you can go ahead and rightfully flame me for this presumptuous and insensitive rant.

Chubb

International Regular
Obviously it was the illicit nature of the cocaine use that created the possibility for blackmail, however beyond that I'm struggling to see the connection between the crime and the need for "rehabilitation"? Obviously Taylor isn't obliged to tell us about all of his personal problems but this is framed as an open and honest confession yet there seems to be a glaring omission somewhere between "I made a terrible choice to do cocaine with these guys in 2019" and "I am now in rehab for my drug issues". I'm always skeptical when rehab somehow derives from tangentially drug-related misconduct because it seems to prey on misconceptions about "drug use" being inextricably linked with deep-seated mental health issues and general personal crisis. Anyway, now you can go ahead and rightfully flame me for this presumptuous and insensitive rant.
Taylor has had some incidents with alcohol in the past. He once slept in an unlocked car after a bender while at Notts - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/brendan-taylor-borrows-car-to-sleep-off-cup-triumph-914645

He is not the only Zimbabwean to have alcohol and drug issues. Unfortunately, heavy drinking is a bit of a feature of (particularly) white Zimbo culture.

Chubb

International Regular
Meant after what’s come out about Streak now Taylor, surely must’ve been more than just those two on the take.
It's entirely possible. Graeme Cremer was approached by a corrupt official but reported it immediately, to his credit.

These people earn very little money and they live in a hard place. Some Zimbabwean first class players literally live on the breadline. They are particularly vulnerable to this kind of coercion.

It is true that many of the whites are better off than the majority, but they earn a pittance from cricket and are rarely paid on time.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Taylor has had some incidents with alcohol in the past. He once slept in an unlocked car after a bender while at Notts - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/brendan-taylor-borrows-car-to-sleep-off-cup-triumph-914645

He is not the only Zimbabwean to have alcohol and drug issues. Unfortunately, heavy drinking is a bit of a feature of (particularly) white Zimbo culture.
And fortunately it's a feature of my culture too. Helluva good time, is getting on the piss. Anyway, it's a waste of time me trying to speculate as to what "issues" Taylor has and I have probably sufficiently noted my skepticism about the reference to rehabilitation.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very sad reading. Wish him all the best.

It’s scary to think how many other instances of fixing have gone unnoticed.