• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli stands down as Test captain

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Ah well, at this time, as an international observer I'll say who cares? Kohli's batting has been poor across formats for a while now and his captaincy has bordered on the childish, at least his attitude. Maybe India can move to a more mature beat...however with Kohli still a giant figure in the side, I can see massive issues behind closed door for years to come.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suspect they’ll be something like Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just doing woke stuff
Nah.. he was very much considered a nationalist not very long ago, including those stupid articles by stupid guys in Aussie media about "co-opting" the national team or whatever their nonsense was. Like with his cricket, you will find it difficult to pigeon hole him to any trope. He is the guy who sledges and sends off batsmen but then hugs the opponents and lavishes praise on them and their performances which most captains do not. Its the same with respect to this apparently compulsory political image you need to have on social media.

Chrish

International Debutant
How come Ashwin’a name never comes up during captaincy debate? Is there any history behind it? Is it because his place in squad isn’t guaranteed in oversea tours?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How come Ashwin’a name never comes up during captaincy debate? Is there any history behind it? Is it because his place in squad isn’t guaranteed in oversea tours?
He is a bit like Sachin. Too much of tactics and strategies and may not be leadership material. Good guy to have as vice-captain though IMO.

Chrish

International Debutant
He is a bit like Sachin. Too much of tactics and strategies and may not be leadership material. Good guy to have as vice-captain though IMO.
Never took Tendy as a leader. He had no charisma.

Ashwin on the other hand seems like someone who is smart and cunning; also he enjoys attention doing those press conferences and running YouTube channel. He seems to possess more qualities of a captain other than any current Indian player barring Kohli of course.

sunilz

International Regular
Bumrah should be the new Test captain( my 2nd choice after Rohit). He has got very thinking brain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His antics sometimes grated the opposing or neutral fan, but you could never doubt Kohli's passion and determination in the role. Overall I think it's been easily a net positive for India to have him as skipper and he molded a really competitive and first rate side. And he was always happy to talk up test cricket, which was of massive importance to the game overall given the rise of the IPL and other leagues around the world.

He also over saw the end of veganism in Indian cricket and the consequent rise of real bowling instead of playing two finger spinners everywhere. That development turned India into the consistently good and competitive side they currently are.

I hope he recaptures his top form with the bat and we see a few more special knocks from him, because he's a great player of the highest calibre.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt he could stay concentrating on everything a captain needs to. Can't even keep both eyes focused on the same thing