• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, its pretty telling in a way, isn't it? We won the one game where we had a very good 3rd seamer and lost the 2 where we did not. Siraj getting injured hurt us hard in Jo'burg but I honestly expected far better from Umesh.
Siraj is a huge loss. Terrific bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
these last 2 games have been so weird. bowlers dominate 3 innings then SA make it home with relative calm.

had the lbw shown to me when i got home tonight not knowing much about it except it was a spicy drs decision. called it going down and maybe clipping leg on first look, but would be umpires call either way.

don't like the smith era of supersport commentary at all (mike haysman especially) and south african comms are an underrated lot for mixing smug condescension with pure salt but ah, kohli and his friends are just rattled and mad and so are the people defending them online. that's not a controversial lbw. not even nigel long levels.

lol at using erasmus as evidence too. that bloke was englands 12th fielder in 2019, he isn't a paragon of perfect vision. he can make wrong calls. such is life.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Boucher and Smith will be particularly relieved. Nobody in SA expected this win and might just save them with lots of issues that where coming their way.
you see smith accidentally telling the world at lunch that the Aussie tests will now be played in August 2023? lal the clumsy oaf

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Boucher and Smith will be particularly relieved. Nobody in SA expected this win and might just save them with lots of issues that where coming their way.
Your lot may still struggle on pitches where 300+ is expected, much like England, esp. 2018 England but you got a core to build around. If they can sort out Markram (bat him at 4, basically), with this bowling, you will be competitive in 5 away venues at least.

Flem274*

123/5
first look at keegan peterson tonight too. **** me he can play. im a bit scared of him in february/march tbh.

also nice to see the little man temba in the runs this series. always liked watching him play. i thought he'd bat #3 eventually. woops. was it spark who commented earlier that he's the best looking/lowest average player around? yeah man, i agree.

i've defended pujara and rahane on the basis of 'find better' but um, it's probably time. vihari can hold a bat and iyer deserves rope. gill is also a decent talent. it's time for a look, even if it's a bit painful in the short term.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I had presumed he was injured rather than omitted
He has not been in good rhythm or form. Lots of no-balls and basically only one test has he looked close to his old self out of the 5 or so he has played. No issues at all him being snubbed for Umesh. Umesh has just gone missing on the most important day of the test. It has been a battle of the seamers and I think the unsung hero for RSA has been Ngidi. Without his spells, it could well have been 3-0.

Like I said earlier, the series changed when we lost our 3rd seamer and that has been a huge difference. Definitely expected far better from Umesh.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the loss of Siraj hurt India. But for me the series changed when Rabada got pissed and starting bowling with a bit of venom again. Also for everybody else and for SA supporters who only hoped, Petersen has showed what he was capable off. And obviously Jansen has been great.
To me the true "turning point" was stumps on Day 1, SA bowlers were clearly massively undercooked on that first day and India were able to exploit that for a decisive advantage in the Test that SA could never haul in. Since then the SA bowlers have consistently been on top against the Indian batsmen for the 5 1/2 innings following that.

This Indian team has broken a lot of old cricket maxims, but the one that you don't win very many Test matches if you put up <500 runs in two completed innings still holds. That top five is not fit for purpose.