• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in NZ 2021-22

Flem274*

123/5
Opening is just hard atm. McCullum memed on a green deck sure, but he had complete security of place and 100 tests practice. If Latham comes running at Pat Cummins and fails, everyone will get on his case haha

thierry henry

International Coach
Opening is just hard atm. McCullum memed on a green deck sure, but he had complete security of place and 100 tests practice. If Latham comes running at Pat Cummins and fails, everyone will get on his case haha
Yeah also McCullum was of course actually batting 5 in that innings, it was just an example of a guy slogging cos it was green. I also think Sehwag had some success doing similar. Hayden or Langer smacking it around on a seamer doesn’t really ring true though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FFS Conway. Two centuries in a row he's found a way to get out which was very avoidable.

Still, brings out Taylor. Hopefully he's mentally prepared and can make a score himself.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely the more obvious answer is that Hayden and Langer (and Sehwag etc) played during a notoriously easy era for batting while the past decade has been notoriously hard?

Seems to me that the success of bludgeoners like Sehwag and Hayden at test match opening pairs more neatly with a lack of sideways movement during their era than with a lack of machismo in modern opening… machismo as a method tends to go out the window when she’s seaming all over the place.
I guess I don't mean machismo so much in terms of slapping the bowling around...moreso that it was an admired spot to bat in. If you did that spot well, whether you were Hayden or Sunny Gavaskar, you were as as big a dog as it got on the international stage. You crafted your game mainly around being good at that job (and maybe you changed it a bit for ODIs). You played more 4-day first class cricket, too.

Is the bowling harder now? Yeah, potentially it is. That's got to explain some of it.

But to me, it's the fact that the Haydens, the Sehwags, the Gilchrists, anyone else who successfully wacked it - they set their games up technically coming through the grades. They built a power game upon good technique in age group, then domestic FC cricket. England are a prime example of trying to build a power game without the necessary technique to have it translate into Test cricket. Roy, Buttler, Morgan etc just can't cut it because their technical base is sub-par - and unless England address that throughout their whole system, they may as well say to hell with anything involving a red ball at Test level.

What I'm trying to say is that the quality of Test match opening batting in particular I think will continue to fall, because you don't get the cream of the crop. If Matt Hayden was 18 now, he'd be wacking **** out of it, chewing gum and walking down at Big Bash bowlers trying to pick up an IPL contract - not amassing thousands of Sheffield Shield runs. The top echelon of quality coming through now will most likely want to bat 4-5 in Tests and play all 3 forms + beloved by IPL teams, ala AB de Villiers.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah I've noticed Conway always takes his gloves off when he's at the non striker's end. Just seems really unnecessary, means you always have to have the same hand holding the bat, so you end up turning blind sometimes, and you're worried about dropping your gloves. Just...why?

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah I've noticed Conway always takes his gloves off when he's at the non striker's end. Just seems really unnecessary, means you always have to have the same hand holding the bat, so you end up turning blind sometimes, and you're worried about dropping your gloves. Just...why?
Something to do with being god-fearing?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
**** I hate run outs in Test cricket. I know you have to be able to judge a run and you're not always mentally as sharp as you might be in a Test match innings, but they always seem so goddamn avoidable and annoying

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate this too. Always have. Presumably it's a perspiration thing...maybe Conway is a big sweater. A lot of batsmen hate inners for the lack of feel they get from them, and if they are big sweaters it can be an over by over thing to lose some semblance of grip on the bat. Obviously not feasible to change that often. Having said that, the overs they face a lot of balls they don't take them off - so why not do it between overs and do it that way? You're 100% right, it seems to far less than ideal in terms of dropping them and even a lack of focus, which is OK in between balls if you ignore the fact you're supposed to be responding to a partner.