• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Melbourne - December 26 - 30

Gob

International Coach
264 in 63 games
Very similar output and average to Trent Boult
Both operating at 27
Starc looking like a low twenties average bowler this series
Maybe he is going to in the next two years hit his peak career period
He has had series like this before. I think some opponents (India and SA) play him really well. Some don't

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
264 in 63 games
Very similar output and average to Trent Boult
Both operating at 27
Starc looking like a low twenties average bowler this series
Maybe he is going to in the next two years hit his peak career period
If so, and if Australia can find one more high quality batsman, then we're looking at the emergence of a very good side actually.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Starc since the India series 2018/19:

541 runs at 30.05
82 wickets at 24.14

It's funny because even with these near-Hadlee level stats there's times he's looked really toothless, especially against India against whom he averaged 37.37 across the eight tests against them at home.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to the discussion about the shortest number of days needed to decide an Ashes series, I reckon it only took Australia 8 days in 1921. That should be unbeatable, but not necessarily once Root decides he's had enough.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it gets hard coz of the six test series of the 70s to 90s, and before the 1950s you've got 3 and 4 day tests in England vs the timeless tests in Aus. I suspect 14 might be the fastest in 5 day, 5 tests series for England.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the quickest in terms of balls bowled is the real question. Days are meaningless, you could be alive one day and dead the next

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What’s the quickest England have retained?

14 in 2013 the quickest in my time.
That must be the record. I wondered about 1956 when we served up spinners' pitches for Laker and Lock, but we drew and lost the first two tests of that series. 1978/79 should be a contender when Australia were missing their first choice side and a half due to Packer, but we managed to lose the 3rd test in that series. The other possibility that struck me was 1928 when we walloped them over there, but the matches lasted too long because Hammond kept hitting 200s.

Spikey

iirc the older scorecards on cricinfo don't record whether it was 6 or 8 ball overs so you'd need to check what the standard was for that series and then do the calculations

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
it gets hard coz of the six test series of the 70s to 90s, and before the 1950s you've got 3 and 4 day tests in England vs the timeless tests in Aus. I suspect 14 might be the fastest in 5 day, 5 tests series for England.
Oddly enough, the six test series didn't really change anything. Australia needed four tests in 1974/75 because the 3rd test was drawn and England held the Ashes, and England needed four tests in 1978/79 because Australia won the 3rd test. Actually, without going through the whole list, there just weren't that many six test series when one side would have secured the Ashes after three tests if it had been a match shorter. Maybe 1993 was the exception - I think Aus won the first two and drew the third but there were still three to play.

But going back to the question, there just haven't been many times when England were that dominant.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
iirc the older scorecards on cricinfo don't record whether it was 6 or 8 ball overs so you'd need to check what the standard was for that series and then do the calculations
When did matches in Australia change from 8 ball to 6 ball overs?

TheJediBrah

Could be, yeah. That was the series where Waugh famously announced the playing XI for the first test about four weeks before it started.
Bit late to the party but both 2001 and 2002/03 Ashes were retained in 11 days. If Aus win tomorrow it will be 12 days.

However given the short time between games it has only been 21 days total since the beginning of the series which would be the quickets in over 100 years the Ashes has been retained

halba

International 12th Man
If so, and if Australia can find one more high quality batsman, then we're looking at the emergence of a very good side actually.
its a great bowling unit only at this stage. it generally has been a great bowling unit in the ashes, at home, hardly any losses since early 2010s loss.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bit late to the party but both 2001 and 2002/03 Ashes were retained in 11 days. If Aus win tomorrow it will be 12 days.

However given the short time between games it has only been 21 days total since the beginning of the series which would be the quickets in over 100 years the Ashes has been retained
Whilst not a huge tennis fan, one way in which it is superior is that they call it a day once someone has an unassailable lead. Ignoring the financial implications, I think we can all agree that the winter would be more enjoyable if our boys flew home in time to see in the new year. The Australians would get a more meaningful contest playing their Academy XI in January.

TheJediBrah

Whilst not a huge tennis fan, one way in which it is superior is that they call it a day once someone has an unassailable lead. Ignoring the financial implications, I think we can all agree that the winter would be more enjoyable if our boys flew home in time to see in the new year. The Australians would get a more meaningful contest playing their Academy XI in January.
But beating England 5-0 nearly every home Ashes series is tradition

_00_deathscar

International Regular

What about by number of overs played?