• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Melbourne - December 26 - 30

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Boland just looks like a very good bowler to me. Decent pace, hits the seam and bowls good areas. Probably unlikely to play another test in this series (or maybe career), but what a day out for him!

Spark

Global Moderator
As much as I agree, I do think you have to put a slight asterisk when comparing players who played in in that late 00s-early 10s era to now. The standard of fast bowling all round is consistently higher and the pitches much more difficult; in that light the low-40s average Bell produced doesn't look that impressive, particularly given that Bell was... not noted for excelling in bowler-friendly conditions. Batting is just really ****ing hard right now, especially if you don't have openers, whereas it was probably the easiest it ever was then.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I agree, I do think you have to put a slight asterisk when comparing players who played in in that late 00s-early 10s era to now. The standard of fast bowling all round is consistently higher and the pitches much more difficult; in that light the low-40s average Bell produced doesn't look that impressive, particularly given that Bell was... not noted for excelling in bowler-friendly conditions. Batting is just really ****ing hard right now, especially if you don't have openers, whereas it was probably the easiest it ever was then.
Yet in this England XI, Root is the only one who looks like he could be a more consistent innings builder, even in challenging conditions.

Bahseph

State Captain
I've watched every innings Hameed has played since his comeback and the only positive comment I can say about him is that he might have the patience for this level,but I don't see him averaging more than 35-ish. His scoring areas are also the aspects of his game that could cost him his wicket.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think england are just two more ducks away from equalling their own world record of the most number of ducks in a calendar year...will they make it happen? discuss.

Gob

International Coach
That's excellent but the only bowlers who've taken more away or neutral wickets in that time are spinners (Yasir Shah - heaps in the UAE, Ashwin, and Lyon) and Shami. Anderson has only taken 107 wickets in 32 tests in that time, so lots of inexpensive 2-35 sort of games.
Let's give some credit shall we

(Read this in Tracey Morgan's voice)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Really haven’t seen Robinson’s relative lack of pace as a negative factor for England at all so far given the decks which have been dished up. If you’re a tall medium-fast seamer, then the three pitches so far are about as good as you could wish for.
Exactly. When you're 6'5 and you've got a good repeatable action like Robinson then you don't need to be bowling flat out and striving for wickets. Just pitch it up and exploit the conditions to take the edge

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I was giving credit, but England playing more tests than everyone else definitely helps. Anderson is doing very well, but of course a seam bowler has a better average than spinners.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well wasn't that just great.......Engs most promising day of the series turned into a shambles inside 12 overs. Terrific.