• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Has much been said about Bayley Wiggins? Only 23 and this is a great start to his CD career. Looks assertive, plays his shots. Though tbh those full balls from Snedden driven through the covers look little more than throw-downs.

aaaaand I jinxed him. Took Sears getting the length right.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cribbage is talking about Tim Pringle, and his batting being hyped up in the local Tauranga newspapers into being the best top-order batting promise ND have had since Yovich or Vettori.
He can only hope to match the achievements of CD's 'next Kane Williamson': Christian Leopard. The man should honestly move to Wellington. His style of play would fit right in with Wellington's lineup of Gen Z wunderkinds.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Hay has decided he'll stay on 0 meanwhile. That's some scorecard. Sears bothering the batters with the extra bounce.

Excellent game for Nathan, potentially missed out on a hundred and ran out of partners.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Has much been said about Bayley Wiggins? Only 23 and this is a great start to his CD career. Looks assertive, plays his shots. Though tbh those full balls from Snedden driven through the covers look little more than throw-downs.

aaaaand I jinxed him. Took Sears getting the length right.
Really don't like the decision to have him open after his debut ton, clearly a young guy who liked bat on ball and that style of play was never going to work opening against the swinging ball on early season green decks. Clearly a talented young player though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good game for Sears too. Really pleasing to see him manage to stay on the park this season, his fitness record has been pretty patchy over the past couple of years.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really don't like the decision to have him open after his debut ton, clearly a young guy who liked bat on ball and that style of play was never going to work opening against the swinging ball on early season green decks. Clearly a talented young player though.
Is he not typically an opener?
Agree this type of strokeplay not suited to early season pitches.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is he not typically an opener?
Agree this type of strokeplay not suited to early season pitches.
He opens in the LOI stuff, not sure what he usually does in the 2nd xi stuff. Just seems weird that he made a century at 7 on debut and suddenly be opening.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I feel like there were shades of Damien Martyn in some of those highlights. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking

ataraxia

International Coach
CD do look very light in non-engine room batters. Schmulian doesn't look to be a spring top 3 batter either (even if he has been scoring runs). So, oddly, renowned engine roomer Cleaver has had to shoulder the responsibility of actually batting responsibly.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes it's not looking great on the Furlong Cup's scorecards for them either, Bevan Small is a proper chance to become their No. 3 bat within the next couple of years. Either that or Andrew Penn, who opens the batting at Furlong level.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Cleaver and Fletcher are first and third top run scorers after the last round of PS. Cleaver with 375 @ 63 and Fletcher 344 @ 86. Cleaver quite a bit ahead career wise with 3973 @ 42.72 compared to 3159 @ 37.16 for Fletcher. Only 6 games between them too. Both ahead of Seifert who has 2912 @ 36.4. Who would the selectors go for if Blundell goes down? Who is the best keeper of the three? I’m thinking Fletcher then Cleaver then Seifert for WK ability?

Flem274*

123/5
Good game for Sears too. Really pleasing to see him manage to stay on the park this season, his fitness record has been pretty patchy over the past couple of years.
tbf a lot of the cricket he has missed has been due to Sears' studies, plus Wellington being cautious and/or preferring the more reliable Ollie Newton types.

We like developing players, but provinces like winning.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not as much as you'd think, just I think 2 or 3 FC games. The rest has been a combination of niggling injuries (and on one occasion the bad luck of being stood down for a week after getting hit in the head while batting).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just gonna say, why aren't the senior Wellington batsmen taking more responsibility. Nick Greenwood being dumped in at number 3 when Michael "The Allrounder" Bracewell is down at 4. Even Jersey batted Greenwood at 4. Georgeson was batting down at 6 in Ireland and Bhula was batting in the middle order on debut. Yep, let's dump the three young'uns at 1,2,3 on tough batting decks to really **** their confidence and ensure they fail, whilst giving ole Bracers an easier journey down at #4 just in case we need him to bowl his ****ty slowies. Of course, Georgeson and Greenwood can both turn the arm over, but bugger them.

Does my bloody head in.

Sneddon seems a bit of a nothing player too, really. Particularly given he's nearly 30 and hardly 'the future'.

Pretty confused/confusing selections going on all over the place. Only bright light is Nathan Smith.

Good to see Ma'ara Ave make his debut for CD. Pretty smart guy from what I hear.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Cleaver and Fletcher are first and third top run scorers after the last round of PS. Cleaver with 375 @ 63 and Fletcher 344 @ 86. Cleaver quite a bit ahead career wise with 3973 @ 42.72 compared to 3159 @ 37.16 for Fletcher. Only 6 games between them too. Both ahead of Seifert who has 2912 @ 36.4. Who would the selectors go for if Blundell goes down? Who is the best keeper of the three? I’m thinking Fletcher then Cleaver then Seifert for WK ability?
Also Cleaver is 29, Fletcher 28, Seifert 26 and Blundell is 31. If 21 year-old Max Chu has 2 or 3 good seasons in Plunket Shield he might get the job for a long time like Smith, Parore, McCullum, and Watling.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cleaver probably has the edge, both based on his career record and the fact that he's been making this many runs batting at 4 (while Fletcher typically comes in at 6). Fletcher also has the advantage of not having to face the most ploddingly effective bowling attack in the country. Fletcher's definitely massively narrowed the gap in the past couple of seasons though, and he's more of a BJ style battler which may align with what the selectors are looking for in the longer run.