• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The FINAL, Australia v New Zealand (THE BATTLE OF THE MITCHELLS) at the Ring of Fire, Dubai-- 11/14 Sunday (N)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Southee's main problem this match imo was bowling to Warner first up. Commentators love talking about match-ups now and Warner is a terrible match-up for Southee; in my memory Warner wins that battle every time in every format. Cue Southee's first two overs going for plenty, which they haven't all tournament, and Australia were away.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
don't agree with thundaboult re southee, but there's a point to be made about our tendency to overrate performances in meaningless bilaterals on home grounds. I rate gup on his day but we've known forever that against good attacks away from home he can bat himself into a corner and eat up balls. Many (well, TH mostly) have been calling out sodhi for a while as a fluke merchant without many class attributes. Could probably use a minor correction back to some more gut-feel selections and non-selections.
Yeah, it'd probably be doing Sodhi a disservice to chalk up his T20 success to luck, but when you bowl as many hit me balls as he does it's always going to be in the back of people's minds.

Guptill's a tough one, he had an alright tournament, and we probably would've lost against Scotland without his innings. But overall I think the selectors need to start planning for his succession now, he's 35 and hasn't looked his best self for 3 or 4 years. Would still keep him in the equation for the next World Cup though. He's been one of NZ's few consistent performers in LO cricket in Australia post 2015.

thierry henry

International Coach
don't agree with thundaboult re southee, but there's a point to be made about our tendency to overrate performances in meaningless bilaterals on home grounds. I rate gup on his day but we've known forever that against good attacks away from home he can bat himself into a corner and eat up balls. Many (well, TH mostly) have been calling out sodhi for a while as a fluke merchant without many class attributes. Could probably use a minor correction back to some more gut-feel selections and non-selections.
lol the irony of me being used in an argument in favour of non-statzzzzz selections

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Southee's main problem this match imo was bowling to Warner first up. Commentators love talking about match-ups now and Warner is a terrible match-up for Southee; in my memory Warner wins that battle every time in every format. Cue Southee's first two overs going for plenty, which they haven't all tournament, and Australia were away.
Yeah, Southee's looked a million bucks against right handers throughout the tournament, but he couldn't make the adjustment to Warner from what I saw, bowled too wide and short in his first spell, freeing Warner up to whack him over the infield, without having to worry too much about the slips or being beaten on the inside edge.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you mind him skipping bum series (Bangladesh was it?) for the IPL if he continues winning you world cups right after?
Yes I most certainly do. He (through no fault of his own) went to the back half of the IPL and didn't play, having missed two series for his country. He's a multi. He's not a 18yo* goat herd who's just been discovered like Imran used to with blokes and plucked from obscurity. The bloke is a multi.

*26yo

Burgey

It’s literally only remotely a thing in the Northern states, and even then it’s largely an upper/upper-middle class pursuit which AFAIK isn’t the case in New Zealand or South Africa.
Which is why those countries are good at it and we always suck, save for an historic accident where basically 10 of the best players we've ever had happened to come along at the same time. essentially the 80s Windies of rugby - an under-resourced backwater making good for a fleeting amount of time. Now it's reverted to the toff mediocrity its always been here.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Genuinely ridiculous a bloke could play a knock like Williamson in a final and not get the biscuits. Fmd it’s a cruel sport at times
Shades of Chris Harris with his 130 innings of a lifetime in the 96 quarterfinal against Australia.

Burgey

No. NZ didn't lose the game with the bat. They lost it with the ball. And if Guptill went slowly, part of that is on team selection where they went in a batsman shy and were more conservative than they might otherwise have been.

NZ's bowling really let them down. Boult (and Milne tbf for three of his overs) aside, they were terrible. Put under pressure by good batting, but just didn't respond at all.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, wasn't a good innings by Guptill, but it helped lay a platform and at the end of the day I don't think 172 was an undefendable total at all.