• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread (white ball edition)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis was very good
Not that great in ODIs, killed the momentum in a lot of knocks. Very good example of exactly what we are talking about. Whereas other teams had a Ponting, Tendulkar, de Silva, SA's main guy was Kallis who was a fair step down (purely as a batsman).
But he was good.
You have to be good to play international cricket. Justin Ontong was good.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
T20I ATG XI:
Buttler
Babar
Kohli
Shakib
Maxwell
Hussey
Russell
Rashid Khan
Starc
Malinga
Bumrah

2nd XI
Gayle
McCullum
Watson
KP
Yuvraj
Pollard
Sammy
Afridi
Johnson
Gul
Ajmal

3rd XI
de Kock
Finch
Jayawardene
ABdV
Morgan
Thisara Perera
Nabi
Bravo
Steyn
Tahir
Mustafizur

Notes:
-Steyn has a way better T20I record than I realised.
-I tried to follow the traditional T20 selection method of picking a few batsmen with T20 pedigree for the top order, 2 or 3 decent bowlers, then a bunch of meme sloggers/bowlers of PT filth.
-Picking an ATG XI for T20s feels kinda random at this point. Kohli might be the only lock for the first team.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
rank the Morgan era England batters

1 - Buttler
2 - Root
3 - Bairstow
4 - Roy
5 - Morgan
6 - Stokes
7 - Hales
8 - Malan
9999 - Vince

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle isn’t in your first XI?
Like his (former) fellow RCB-er de Villiers, his T20I record isn't quite as good as you'd expect given both his T20 franchise record and his ODI exploits. Obviously still scored shedloads of T20I runs over the years, but I like the idea of a Buttler-Babar-Kohli top 3 too much to fit Gayle in.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
A possible t20 side from the 90s

Sachin
Sanath
Brian Lara
Injamam
Arvinda de silva
Adam Gilchrist
Lance klusener
Shaun pollock
Wasim akram
Shane Warne
Alan Donald

Teja.

Global Moderator
Late 90s SA were already virtually unbeatable. It was a huge upset that Australia beat them in the 1999 world cup and then tied them to move into the final.
This is actually a modern myth. Australia were favs with the bookies heading into the 1999 world cup.

The odds were:

Australia 5-2
South Africa 11-4
Pakistan 9-2
England 5-1
West Indies 9-1
Sri Lanka 9-1
India 12-1
New Zealand 20-1
Zimbabwe 80-1
Kenya 200-1
Bangladesh 500-1
Scotland 1,000-1.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This is actually a modern myth. Australia were favs with the bookies heading into the 1999 world cup.

The odds were:

Australia 5-2
South Africa 11-4
Pakistan 9-2
England 5-1
West Indies 9-1
Sri Lanka 9-1
India 12-1
New Zealand 20-1
Zimbabwe 80-1
Kenya 200-1
Bangladesh 500-1