• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd greatest living cricketer

Who is the 2nd greatest living cricketer (behind Sobers)?

• Total voters

Victor Ian

International Coach
Shoaib couldn't stay on the park. Excellent when fit but otherwise, a spud, like bond.

Subshakers suffers from overanalysis of small cherry picked stats syndrome. As general standardizing goes, all bowlers of the 2000s get a downward adjustment of their averages because batting in general had a better average. Whether this is because it was all roads, just heaps of great batsmen, or equipment, is irrelevant. All of that decades bowlers are better than analysis by spreadsheet suggests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As general standardizing goes, all bowlers of the 2000s get a downward adjustment of their averages because batting in general had a better average
Unless you’re comparing McGrath to other ATG pacers who have similar stats, in which case this curiously is never mentioned

subshakerz

International Coach
Shoaib couldn't stay on the park. Excellent when fit but otherwise, a spud, like bond.

Subshakers suffers from overanalysis of small cherry picked stats syndrome. As general standardizing goes, all bowlers of the 2000s get a downward adjustment of their averages because batting in general had a better average. Whether this is because it was all roads, just heaps of great batsmen, or equipment, is irrelevant. All of that decades bowlers are better than analysis by spreadsheet suggests.
Yet Shoaib still managed 144 wickets in 33 tests @ 22 in that decade.

You seem to be so knee deep in this '2000s flat era' argument that it is eschewing your analysis. Did pitches suddenly switch to flat in the year 2000 or what is it a gradual trend throughout the decade?

I would rather penalize the batsmen for inflated stats, which is obviously the case, rather than present McGrath as somehow the Sydney Barnes of the decade.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yet Shoaib still managed 144 wickets in 33 tests @ 22 in that decade.

You seem to be so knee deep in this '2000s flat era' argument that it is eschewing your analysis. Did pitches suddenly switch to flat in the year 2000 or what is it a gradual trend throughout the decade?

I would rather penalize the batsmen for inflated stats, which is obviously the case, rather than present McGrath as somehow the Sydney Barnes of the decade.
1). Shoaib was a ****ing legend. Easy pick if he is gauranteed to play. But he's not. Pity.

2) you can't penalise batsman without rewarding the bowlers. We'll you can, if you're a ....

Victor Ian

International Coach
Ok, if Shoaib could do that well in the 2000s then there is no reason Donald, Wasim and Ambrose couldnt either yes?
He could not do it for long. It broke him. Ambrose may have had less bounce or found his edges going for boundaries. Ditto Donald. Wasim would have had to find a different way to get the ball reversing, what, with the extra scrutiny, and he may not have been afforded so many tail end wickets.

subshakerz

International Coach
He could not do it for long. It broke him. Ambrose may have had less bounce or found his edges going for boundaries. Ditto Donald. Wasim would have had to find a different way to get the ball reversing, what, with the extra scrutiny, and he may not have been afforded so many tail end wickets.
How well would Ambrose, Wasim and Donald have done compared to McGrath in the 2000s by your estimate assuming they played as much as McGrath did and were in their prime?

Victor Ian

International Coach
How well would Ambrose, Wasim and Donald have done compared to McGrath in the 2000s by your estimate assuming they played as much as McGrath did and were in their prime?
Probably about 10 percent worse. If McGrath was at his peak in the 90's we'd be declaring him the clear best bowler of that decade too.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Ohhhhh - Come on Subsie! Just because you posted a big boo boo doesn't mean you have to delete it and deny me the win. Put it back so I can ridicule it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Ambrose and McGrath also got to routinely dine out on hapless English batting throughout their careers. Donald played half as much against ENG and was tracking along with similar returns. Like others have said, an incredibly underrated bowler and only a shade below the other two among the greatest of the era.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Agree with respect to Donald. I'm bored of this topic now.

The truth is, ALL of the all time greats are all time great. Put them in someone else's boots and they would perform the same, plus/minus normal statistical variation. But those who DID something are always better than those who PROBABLY would have done it.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ohhhhh - Come on Subsie! Just because you posted a big boo boo doesn't mean you have to delete it and deny me the win. Put it back so I can ridicule it.
yeah I misread your comment hehe. Actually, from what I gather, you are saying they would average in the 22 range, which to me is still fine and hardly that much higher than what they did in the 90s. So in that sense I dont disagree but I dont see how the 'flat 2000s'is really a big deal.

Victor Ian

International Coach
yeah I misread your comment hehe. Actually, from what I gather, you are saying they would average in the 22 range, which to me is still fine and hardly that much higher than what they did in the 90s. So in that sense I dont disagree but I dont see how the 'flat 2000s'is really a big deal.
You've been a great sport. I called you a ... and you took it like a man.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm surprised how often Donald is referred to as under-rated on CW - he seems exceptionally highly (and fairly) rated in these parts, moreso than in the outside world that I can see.

One of the more jarring examples of Donald's rating in some of the wider cricketing community is from Geoff Armstrong, who a lot of us know from his 100 Greatest Cricketers book. In that book he picked nine all-time XIs and extraordinarily didn't find a spot for Donald in any of them.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ambrose and McGrath also got to routinely dine out on hapless English batting throughout their careers. Donald played half as much against ENG and was tracking along with similar returns.
McGrath (30/124) and Donald (17/72) played almost exactly the same proportion of their Tests against England.