• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester - 10th-14th of September

Tom Flint

International Regular
The worst scandal is England claming this series as a 2-2 draw
If you are 2-1 up at half time in a football match you don't get to just go home and claim the win with the 2nd half still to go.
They want to go home and and play ipl instead and not finish the series they signed up to. That's fine but you don't get to claim a win

Window

U19 Debutant
If you are 2-1 up at half time in a football match you don't get to just go home and claim the win with the 2nd half still to go.
They want to go home and and play ipl instead and not finish the series they signed up to. That's fine but you don't get to claim a win
Again I ask, can you walk me through the logic of how cancelling the last test benefits the players to participate in the IPL? The test as originally scheduled I mean. I understand a delayed start would clash with the IPL.

sunilz

International Regular
Can we also blame England team for leaving India after Mumbai attack in 2008 ?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Again I ask, can you walk me through the logic of how cancelling the last test benefits the players to participate in the IPL? The test as originally scheduled I mean. I understand a delayed start would clash with the IPL.
The Test would have run until the 14th. If they caught Covid during it they would miss the start of the IPL on the 19th. It's a precaution rather than a direct benefit.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can we also blame England team for leaving India after Mumbai attack in 2008 ?
If you want. Others may prefer to credit England for coming back and playing the tests a bit later, especially as the UK's role in the 'war on terror' may have made them a prime target for the psychopaths.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Genuine question- how does not playing this test benefit the Indian players in playing the IPL? Don’t quite follow the logic there. I can understand the benefit from avoiding playing the delayed test match but what benefit is there from canceling the originally scheduled game?

Rohit, Bumrah and some other bum i think people like to call sky already out in UAE. Have to do 6 days quarantine. Tournament starts in 8 days.

If they played the test match then all the players would miss the first few days at least quarantining presumably.

The dates of this indian series were confirmed on 18th November 2020 so it's not like they organised it to clash with the IPL. The rearranged IPL confirmed their dates on July 25 2021 more than 8 months after the English summer dates were confirmed.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's a few inferences during this thread that England players and fans are cracking open the Champaign having levelled the series. I'm not sure anyone is seriously concerned about that at all.

sunilz

International Regular
If you want. Others may prefer to credit England for coming back and playing the tests a bit later, especially as the UK's role in the 'war on terror' may have made them a prime target for the psychopaths.
And India too is willing to play an additional test next year .
They can't come back to play cricket because their schedule is already packed. Let's not forget, Indian team has been in England for last 100 days. Maybe they are mentally fatigued and don't want to catch covid from their team mates.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
fwiw I think it's been kinda underplayed how tough this how thing has been for the India players. I don't know how long they've been on the road but I can understand the fatigue. They've done really well to keep going as long as they did.

That being said my sympathy kind of ebbs away after hearing of this book signing. Regardless of whether any protocols were broken, it seems kinda reckless of Shastri, Kohli and co to be at a public book launch with lots of members of the public inside without masks. The 'we were worried about covid and our families' argument seems to be undermined by book launch and how quickly they've left for the IPL.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And India too is willing to play an additional test next year .
They can't come back to play cricket because their schedule is already packed. Let's not forget, Indian team has been in England for last 100 days. Maybe they are mentally fatigued and don't want to catch covid from their team mates.
Sure, but I was just answering your question. I'm pretty sure that I haven't commented on India's decision either way, whatever my views of their domestic cricket arrangements.

Niall

International Coach
Are people seriously expecting India to have done some sort of hard bubble? Crikey.

England has been open for a long time and India have been in the country for months. They had 6 weeks of inactivity after the NZ test lets not forget.

No issue with them out and about unless they had symptoms.

Window

U19 Debutant
The Test would have run until the 14th. If they caught Covid during it they would miss the start of the IPL on the 19th. It's a precaution rather than a direct benefit.
I think that would be a fair thing to request in the face of team staff contracting COVID even if the IPL weren’t on tbh. I think theegyptian’s explanation makes more sense. I didn’t realise there was some overlap between the IPL starting and the test.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That being said my sympathy kind of ebbs away after hearing of this book signing. Regardless of whether any protocols were broken, it seems kinda reckless of Shastri, Kohli and co to be at a public book launch with lots of members of the public inside without masks. The 'we were worried about covid and our families' argument seems to be undermined by book launch and how quickly they've left for the IPL.

First of all, the thought that this event is where anyone got covid is purely conjecture at this point. At best, it is a reasonable guess. But the players and the coaches have been going out to restaurants, on public trains from venue to venue and the coaches usually travel together. They could have presumably caught it anywhere.

That said, the book launch did have more number of people from the outside attending and perhaps there was carelessness in scheduling that event. It is definitely something to be brought up and even slapped on the wrist for, but too much to suggest just because one event happened, the rest of the players should be expected to not worry about their kids catching covid. It may even be that the event and the subsequent positive cases made the squad more concerned and like it or not, people do learn from their own mistakes.

And @BoyBrumby to your point on the ECB, I think they are more worried about the insurance situation. Hopefully whatever the ICC decides help them get that money and more importantly, use that money and the money they presumably will make from the India test next year, to help out Lancashire. Like I said, I am totally fine with this being a forfeit if that is what it takes to help out ECB and Lancashire financially.

White Ball

State 12th Man
As a huge white ball fan it is great to see player arriving in the UAE this is going to be a great barometer before the Workd T20

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
All this has completely ruined my weekend in lockdown. I hope they're happy.
"They" being the illuminati who developed Covid in order to trigger the new world order - I bet they are. I think this was the end-game, to deprive India of a blemish-free series win in England.

Aritro

International Regular
"They" being the illuminati who developed Covid in order to trigger the new world order - I bet they are. I think this was the end-game, to deprive India of a blemish-free series win in England.
Also it sucks you don't get the satisfaction of a proper series win, although I'd argue it was one