• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No that's fair. One alternative would be to bat the wicketkeeper 8 but there aren't many batsmen who can bowl a bit either.
You'd be relying on Stokes being fit enough to operate as our 3rd seamer and Root being our 5th bowler. Which we'll probably see at some stage.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
show curran's pitch map to woakes and play woakes everywhere. woakes has oodles more bowling talent but curran's always the bigger threat away from home because he hucks it up there looking for movement.
Do you think that Woakes has improved since the last Ashes in Australia? Genuine question. I think he may have done, but I'm no expert.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't get me wrong, I think Leach is decent and very probably our best test spinner (the only serious competition is Mo and Rashid, and I thought the former was flattered by his return in the second test and the latter seems content to focus on the white ball stuff) but he's not a Derek Underwood (or even a Monty Panesar, really) so if our seamers were (say) Archer, Broad and Anderson, his position in the XI is going to be looked at.

I really don't think Bess is up to it currently (the boy is only 23, a child in spinning years, so he might yet come good), Virdi seems to be the next cab off the rank, but his batting looks even more of the rabbit persuasion than Jack's, so maybe there's a road back for Dawson?

What's Scott Borthwick up to nowadays?! :ph34r:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Part of me still suspects that Moeen would still actually be the best option for home Tests but Leach does deserve his spot right now. You wonder if they might consider just using Root to bowl a bit of spin in Australia, at least for some of the games.

Be interesting to see if Ollie Robinson gets a go at some point, he can bat can't he? (although Archer was supposed to be able to) Craig Overton another one who we might see again, had a very good season last year. As I said before it is weird because there was a time when seemingly almost every England bowler could bat pretty well. Woakes playing more and improving abroad probably the best solution, especially as he is likely going to have to play a key role when Anderson finally retires.

grecian

If Curran plays, we need Stokes to be fit and firing with the ball, because Sam isn't a 3rd seamer in English conditions. It's been an odd series for Stokes' bowling. We barely saw him for three tests, then he was outstanding in the fourth one. I don't know how much that's down to an injury that we haven't been told about, or simply him not being deemed suitable for the conditions.
There used to be a discussion that except when Flintoff was in his absolute prime, he was a liability in Tests for England, as he wasn't quite in our best 6 bats or best bowlers, again when not in his prime few years.
Don't get me wrong, I think Leach is decent and very probably our best test spinner (the only serious competition is Mo and Rashid, and I thought the former was flattered by his return in the second test and the latter seems content to focus on the white ball stuff) but he's not a Derek Underwood (or even a Monty Panesar, really) so if our seamers were (say) Archer, Broad and Anderson, his position in the XI is going to be looked at.

I really don't think Bess is up to it currently (the boy is only 23, a child in spinning years, so he might yet come good), Virdi seems to be the next cab off the rank, but his batting looks even more of the rabbit persuasion than Jack's, so maybe there's a road back for Dawson?

What's Scott Borthwick up to nowadays?! :ph34r:
Leach is better than Panesar I reckon, and better than Mo or Rashid, but as much as I think he's our best spinner I'll admit he's not undroppable.

In England, Moeen's record is pretty great, so you can see the case at home, but away, I tend to agree with Pothas there's a definite case to not play a spinner in Oz.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In England, Moeen's record is pretty great, so you can see the case at home, but away, I tend to agree with Pothas there's a definite case to not play a spinner in Oz.
That's an interesting thought actually, and it slipped by me when I originally read Pothas' post. Right now, that might be our least bad option next winter. If we're rotating the older guys and the quicker guys, you could make a case for Woakes, Curran, Archer or Stone and Broad or Anderson out there. Maybe that's over-thinking things, and it would depend on conditions, but Curran's leftie golden arm could provide useful variety and batting down to number 9 has its appeal. We may even see that at home this summer, especially at the start of the season.

Last edited:

Pothas

Burns
Sibley
Stokes
Root
Pope
Lawrence
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Bring back the bat down to number 9 thing and yeah I know Stokes at 3 is a terrible idea.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Burns
Sibley
Stokes
Root
Pope
Lawrence
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Bring back the bat down to number 9 thing and yeah I know Stokes at 3 is a terrible idea.
Indeed it is, so it comes down to whether it's actually less terrible than the other options. I'm willing to jump onto the Malan bandwagon of only to give me a bit of hope between now and the start of the series. I certainly wouldn't play Pope or Lawrence at 3, so I'm with you there. Which brings us to which of those two should bat at 6. It would be nice to be able to clone some sort of composite batsman where Pope faces the first 20 or so deliveries until he reaches 20 and then Lawrence takes over. Failing that, I could argue for and against each of them. Given how terribly Pope played the Indian spinners in the winter and given the current heatwave, maybe pick Lawrence.

Robinson's unlucky not to be picked, as, to a lesser extent, is Stone. But if pushed I'd probably start with your choices too. I thought we missed Woakes terribly at Edgbaston, and if he doesn't get picked for our remaining home tests, then I think he's entitled to sue. Robinson and Stone will probably get to play once we start rotating the bowlers anyway. Not sure where to put Wood in that mix. And finally, whilst admitting that I've been on wrong on this one more than once, I wonder whether Anderson's returns against NZ are simply a couple of poor tests or down to something more terminal. Obviously he's entitled to a fair bit of leeway, but I've seen the likes of Fraser, Gough and Willis play a series too many and it really can go quite quickly.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can this thread be renamed England Doom and Gloom Thread?
I did think about starting one of those instead of stinking out the England vs NZ thread. I'll see how I feel today, as it's my day off work. If so, it may be a rather long OP.

Pothas

Yeah I would be fine with Malan at 3, would definitely not be dropping Pope just yet so Lawrence would have to miss out. Possibly Crawley over Sibley as well actually.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Talking of Ollie Robinson, I read someone suggesting that the Kent keeper of that name should have played once Foakes was injured. I can't claim to know much at all about this player, but I do like the idea of both Ollie Robinsons playing for the side at some stage, especially when the keeper takes a catch off his namesake. Not something that can have happened very often, and far more exciting than the Stokes, Foakes, Woakes thing.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if Anderson will stick around long enough to get this list up to 100 team mates.
Not convinced that he'll see another four as most of the guys being suggested for the India series have played before and I don't think we'll be taking many newbies to Australia.

Pothas

End of an ashes series is always perfect for a random debut. As you say though I doubt we will take many new players, Parkinson will probably end up playing at some point though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And thankfully we've moved beyond using the last test home test of the summer to give a couple of newbies a trial for an ashes tour. Mind you, that could yet happen if India are winning 3-0 by then.

Last edited: