• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Surprised India didn't go with Shardul or Pandya and instead went with Sundar.
I did wonder re Pandya - how much he would be able to bowl. If he could give you 8-10 overs a day say then that's not too bad where bowling on Day 1 you can go to seam with new ball then spin with seamers coming back for a spell each perhaps in first half of the day with Pandya perhaps bowling 2 4/5 over spells in the 2nd half of the day under lights to complement the 2 main seamers. It will be very intriguing to see how it goes!

mackembhoy

International Debutant
What's been the fallout from the Chennai crowd in terms of covid cases?

50,000 fans when India is nowhere near new Zealand and Australia low levels of infections.

Can't see it ending well.

JOJOXI

Shardul is not a #7 and Pandya is not yet a 3rd seamer given his injury lay off. I assume that must be why they got Sundar in. I feel if everyone was fully fit, we would have gone with Pandya.
If Jadeja was fit,, do you think they would have gone with 3 full time seamers or not. Ashwin on the back of a good knock but not a number 8 you can bank on to get runs (not many number 8s like that tbf!) then Ishant and Bumrah will not score many runs v this England attack. I guess someone like a Shardul would be good at 9, would they prefer him over a Sundar?

Edit - I ask this question with lights and a possibly swinging ball specifically in mind

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Jadeja was fit,, do you think they would have gone with 3 full time seamers or not. Ashwin on the back of a good knock but not a number 8 you can bank on to get runs (not many number 8s like that tbf!) then Ishant and Bumrah will not score many runs v this England attack. I guess someone like a Shardul would be good at 9, would they prefer him over a Sundar?
If Jaddu was fit, it would have definitely been 3 seamers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Edit - I ask this question with lights and a possibly swinging ball specifically in mind
Yeah I think if everyone was fit they would've gone with three seamers, especially since Jadeja is more of a banker to bowl all day if need be than Axar. The third seamer might have been Pandya though to really stack the batting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I think if everyone was fit they would've gone with three seamers, especially since Jadeja is more of a banker to bowl all day if need be than Axar. The third seamer might have been Pandya though to really stack the batting.
That would be a h4x batting line up, huh?

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Virat
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Bumrah

:laugh: Talk of an OP batting line up especially in Indian conditions...

Shri

Mr. Glass

ashwin will bat at 7, sundar at 8 and axar at 9 tbh

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it's obviously a pretty facile comment when the reason India has become competitive everywhere is because they actually have a coterie of decent quicks. Bowling pin with the (first) new ball is a crime against cricket, and anyone who does it should be prosecuted with extreme prejudice.

JOJOXI

Thing is, even if the ball and the night overhead conditions help swing, if the pitch is helping spin, it will still help spin. I am not sure how well the visibility is against the spinner either. Maybe some of those straight forward variations become harder to spot?
Surely dew, if there is dew, would limit the impact of spin somewhat. Of course not like T20 where batsman will be less likely to regularly hit you over your head but I just question if Sundar adds more as a spinner then Siraj would as a pacer especially with 2 other spinners already in the team. Although I guess it makes a bit more sense if they don't trust Axar fully.

As an aside any case for Jadeja at 7, a case for Pandya to potentially be better batting with the tail and potentially less reliable with the bat especially on his return to Test team.