• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the changes. But we are basically playing the side we would have played in Chennai for the first test. I think it will go how India would have wanted it to go then, this time.

I love how Root was able to by-heart and tell the changes in his XI. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suspect Root will bowl more than Stokes in this game.
England have an excellent attack for these conditions IMO. Even if it turns a lot, Broad is a much better bet to get wickets than Bess at this point. Root is hard to score off too but seems the more he bowls the less effective he is with the bat, which is a win for India. England's bowling will challenge us for sure, but I feel their batting may not be upto the task here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
this image won't load on my work laptop and yet i know full well what it is

Anyway I largely agree with our selections, even if I am worried about the top 3 - I would be if the changes hadn't been made.

I have no conference calls scheduled until 11.30, and a hangover too. So I am going to enjoy the cricket work very hard

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I suspect Root will bowl more than Stokes in this game.
You may well be right but it gives them the option if it does swing under lights, in which case the pitch doesn't matter so much. If it spins big, 1 spinner might look 1 spinner too few but they are playing to their strengths. I had just kind of presumed India would go with 3 seamers and 2 spinners with Bumrah for Kuldeep. Axar and Ashwin can still thrive as spinners but if it does swing under lights its not a case of giving each seamer 4 or 5 overs with the ball and then not having another option really.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You may well be right but it gives them the option if it does swing under lights, in which case the pitch doesn't matter so much. If it spins big, 1 spinner might look 1 spinner too few but they are playing to their strengths. I had just kind of presumed India would go with 3 seamers and 2 spinners with Bumrah for Kuldeep. Axar and Ashwin can still thrive as spinners but if it does swing under lights its not a case of giving each seamer 4 or 5 overs with the ball and then not having another option really.
Thing is, even if the ball and the night overhead conditions help swing, if the pitch is helping spin, it will still help spin. I am not sure how well the visibility is against the spinner either. Maybe some of those straight forward variations become harder to spot?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Surprised India didn't go with Shardul or Pandya and instead went with Sundar.
Shardul is not a #7 and Pandya is not yet a 3rd seamer given his injury lay off. I assume that must be why they got Sundar in. I feel if everyone was fully fit, we would have gone with Pandya.