• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Sri Lanka 2021

Chewy

Cricket Spectator
buttler is a guy with a very limited fc record so i'm not sure his trials and tribulations in test match cricket should come as much shock. on the other hand he is a dead cert, atg in white ball cricket. acknowledged by everyone.

i mean curran is an ok player. i don't see people shouting to proclaim him the heir to ben stokes.
Labuschagne had a mediocre fc record too but he stepped up.

There were reports that he was going to be s batting all rounder but obviously not. I remember Steve Smith was also a bowler at the start and look what happened to him.

Ben Stokes isn’t great yet either

Chewy

Cricket Spectator
Root, Stokes, Anderson & Broad will all be heralded by future generations.
Root maybe by the English but nobody outside of that. I personally think he has fallen way behind Kohli, Smith and Williamson even though he has that much talent. He doesn’t even average 50 which is a true sign of a great player.

Anderson and Broad are very much behind a lot of their contemporary fast bowlers from South Africa and Australia despite their favourable conditions.

Stokes is occasionally brilliant but needs a few more years of high level play before I would consider him a great

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because it is the moose cup. I have no idea why it is called the moose cup but that is probably the reason for the antlers
Sponsored by Moose Clothing Company in SL. Can see a bit of the logo in the background of the picture.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Don't understand the point of rotation if it means your top-flight cricketers end up missing marquee series. What are you saving them for, games versus NZ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because England play loads of cricket and this is not a normal year.

The rotation for India has been pretty overblown anyway. Bairstow would probably not even played this series if Pope had not been injured or Burns on paternity. It is really only Buttler who will be missing and loads of people wanted Foakes to play before this series anyway.

AOCW6

Cricket Spectator
Don't understand the point of rotation if it means your top-flight cricketers end up missing marquee series. What are you saving them for, games versus NZ?
Have to agree with this. A Test series in India is a huge deal - why on earth would England rest players? I suppose the proof will be in the results, but if it doesn't go their way I expect the press to be hot on the selectors.

I wonder how players like Bairstow feel about being "rested" for such big matches?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
They are planning for the world t20s in India this year, and to a slightly lesser extent the 50 over wc in India in 2023 so want to go near full strength for those games after the test series.

From a viewers perspective it would certainly be better to see England full strength in this test series in India (rather than the odis, t20s).

Whether it's the right route to go will probably be borne out in the results over the next year. If we win the world t20s because we are a little bit better prepared than the other sides, then i guess people will overlook other stuff.

I guess as an English fan I should just be glad that Root isn't in the t20 squad right now, otherwise he may have been rested at some point from the tests this winter which would have problematic.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it is is excellent. Something called Moose sponsoring cricket, I know we will just stick some antlers on a cricket ball.
This takes us back to the discussion about suitable cricketers to name trophies after in various series.