• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Flem274*

123/5
Nathan Smith an exception though. Definitely one for the future. Firebirds tried to nick him and so did Canterbury. Thank god he's stayed with volts.

Broom and Anaru are very good players but don't think they're playing red ball cricket.
yea hopefully smith comes through

kitchen played some red ball this summer i think but yea my point is those guys were good domestic players in their day but their day is over now.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
yea hopefully smith comes through

kitchen played some red ball this summer i think but yea my point is those guys were good domestic players in their day but their day is over now.
They're borrowing players from elsewhere but not the big names. They're nicking fringe players from other domestic sides.

If they're serious they should get established players. Most players won't go to Otago as it's colder, facilities aren't the best and club cricket decks are quite bad. Besides it's quite a big region and lots of travel required unlike say Wellington or Auckland.

Flem274*

123/5
They're borrowing players from elsewhere but not the big names. They're nicking fringe players from other domestic sides.

If they're serious they should get established players. Most players won't go to Otago as it's colder, facilities aren't the best and club cricket decks are quite bad. Besides it's quite a big region and lots of travel required unlike say Wellington or Auckland.
it's better to develop your own than chase dads army. wellington eventually figured it out.

size shouldn't be too much of a factor. central and northern have good retention, not just the city sides.

i agree they need to recruit smarter.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
don't be such a diva lol no one said he sucks, people rightly said maybe don't throw him in this summer if he's still prone to meme spells of wides.
Haha yeah. Never doubted the kid had potential, that was obvious from last season’s kippax highlight packages. More just questioning how far along he is and how much of that talent is going to be fulfilled while he’s effectively juggling two professions. Calls for an NZ callup on the back of one or two good performances smack of chucking Jeff Wilson into the team at 19 on the hopes that that would lure him away from rugby. Sears needs to earn his place in the national team. He hasn’t come close to doing that yet (especially with Milne and Kuggz bowling with decent heat atm and Lockie on the comeback trail) but spells like today are great to see.

nzfan

Pretty sure he's been batting 6 in the FT and PS games this season. Kinda weird he'd be so low in this stuff - sure he averages 8 but he's only been out 5 times.
They've tried him earlier at 5 in all formats I think and then pushed him back down. Probably was affecting his bowling? In the long run I think he'll end up someone like Oram or Jimmy.

nzfan

Mac Chu is going all right here. Didn't have big shots but able to hit the gaps. He must be quite young too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah 20 I think. Lot to like about him from the little I’ve seen. Batted nearly 6 hours for 30 odd to help Otago draw a Plunket game this season. Otago definitely needs to start passing out pamphlets highlighting the affordable housing prices down there to get some of the blokes in the ND and Auckland A sides to help them back to a decent level of competitiveness.

Meridio

International Regular
God damnit I tune in for literally the first time this season to watch Allan bat and he gets out first ****ing ball that I see