• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka and South Africa, two teams with similar cricket economy as NZ, consistently host India for 3 tests. Windies, a smaller board in terms of finance, hosted us for 4 tests as recently as 2016, and 5 tests in 2002.

So what exactly makes NZ so unwatchable? Spare us the lament about poor NZ not getting her due.
The NZC is in a weaker financial position than either Sri Lanka or South Africa due to the timezone we play cricket in. South Africa in particular has the benefit that their matches are played just as the Indian audience are clocking off from work. In NZ by comparison, the games start at about 4am in the morning. The NZC has reported that they lose about $700k USD per test they host on average, and even in the case of India there's a lot more money to be made from hosting day-night ODI's and T20's than there is from tests - money the NZC claims is needed to offset losses garnered in other areas of the playing programme. Daynight tests might be a way forward, but currently the only venue in the country that has good enough lights is Eden Park, and that has all kinds of council restrictions around how often the lights can be turned on during the working week that makes hosting tests difficult. NZC also apparently quite keen on the idea of 4-day tests as a means of cutting costs and thereby playing more 3-test series.

Flem274*

123/5
if india lose the final im sure all these little offspinner-esque posters will stick aroumd for the post game chat bois. i wouldnt waste time replying to them seriously.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The NZC is in a weaker financial position than either Sri Lanka or South Africa due to the timezone we play cricket in. South Africa in particular has the benefit that their matches are played just as the Indian audience are clocking off from work. In NZ by comparison, the games start at about 4am in the morning. The NZC has reported that they lose about $700k USD per test they host on average, and even in the case of India there's a lot more money to be made from hosting day-night ODI's and T20's than there is from tests - money the NZC claims is needed to offset losses garnered in other areas of the playing programme. Daynight tests might be a way forward, but currently the only venue in the country that has good enough lights is Eden Park, and that has all kinds of council restrictions around how often the lights can be turned on during the working week that makes hosting tests difficult. NZC also apparently quite keen on the idea of 4-day tests as a means of cutting costs and thereby playing more 3-test series.
This is a lot of words for what could be summed up by "Indian time zone"

Window

U19 Debutant
I don't know much about the economics of the game but is revenue from stadium attendance for test matches really so low that boards make a 700k loss per day if the TV audience isn’t there?

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
But that doesn't explain why NZ hardly tour India, and even when they do, don't play a lot of tests...

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
if india lose the final im sure all these little offspinner-esque posters will stick aroumd for the post game chat bois. i wouldnt waste time replying to them seriously.
Words of wisdom after you were went off like a cheap wind-up toy sold at meena bazaar. Still haven't had the time to go through that pamphlet you typed out in a huff yesterday.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Impressive word salad here to make the hilarious suggestion that Windies or even Lankan tests are watched more than those in NZ. The banal fact is since we last won in NZ, we have played a total of 4 test matches in NZ in last 11 years, because that's how your board like it. Strutting around like peacocks on this inconsequential and irrelevant match up will never stop being funny.

Flem274*

123/5
i love new money, they meltdown the best when they are even mildly inconvenienced, like harbhajan singh being asked to clean his shoes before entering the greatest nation on earth.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Impressive word salad here to make the hilarious suggestion that Windies or even Lankan tests are watched more than those in NZ. The banal fact is since we last won in NZ, we have played a total of 4 test matches in NZ in last 11 years, because that's how your board like it. Strutting around like peacocks on this inconsequential and irrelevant match up will never stop being funny.
Bahnz was not being rude there at all. No need for this tone when responding to him, really.

Flem274*

123/5
nah. i noted noname whining in another thread about the nz meanies. i want to see him crack before he gaps it after india lose a game, because we all know he's lacking.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
nah. i noted noname whining in another thread about the nz meanies. i want to see him crack before he gaps it after india lose a game, because we all know he's lacking.
Glad I gave your sad little life a little ambition - wanting to see me crack lmao.

What's up with the royal ''we'' in your post? After unraveling yesterday, you are ventriloquizing your own insecurities racist little manlet.