• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
GAS contributes some good stuff but I agree with you

You don’t need to watch every minute of domestic to know that Joe Burns was horribly out of form & has a dodgy technique or that Marcus Harris is the same player he was a few months ago or that Warner wasn’t fit or that Starc was basically cooked after Sydney or that Wade is a bandaid
Bandwade

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah think it is time to try at least Nic Maddinson if you dont want to go back to K Pat or Usman. Head ideally needs a county season (even second division) so that he has that idea of how to construct the long knock when the team depends on you day in and day out.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's have another rant about Joe Burns' selection. Our selection culture takes the idea of incumbency far too seriously. If Smith has made that run of scores before the series, I could understand selecting him. But Burns is not clearly better than other candidates. I've supported him in the past despite his obvious technical flaws, but when you've got a batsman who, including against the attack he'll be facing in the tests, has made the run of scores he did and looked like a number 10, even on pitches where other batsmen made hay, you probably shouldn't pick them even if they are 'incumbent'.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if you dont want to go back to K Pat
He's two years younger than Mad Dog. But Mad Dog averages considerably more. But KPat did a lot better in his test career. But Mad Dog's selection back then was a roll of the dice against a very strong attack.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He's two years younger than Mad Dog. But Mad Dog averages considerably more. But KPat did a lot better in his test career. But Mad Dog's selection back then was a roll of the dice against a very strong attack.
Reckon he's still on for those 5,000 runs?

Burgey

sadly not, primarily due to injury.

I hadn't realized Mad Dog averaged 50 in FC cricket tbh. It's the kind of number you want a test player to be putting up, but I suspect there's road blocks there because of what happened last time.

Starfighter

But Mad Dog's selection back then was a roll of the dice against a very strong attack.
Pakistan wasn't and he still looked clueless.

I hadn't realized Mad Dog averaged 50 in FC cricket tbh.
Last time I checked 39.93≠50 and 40.01>39.93 (albeit seemingly headed in opposite directions).

Disappointed the way Patterson's career has gone, other less deserving people were selected in front of him and now it looks likely this injury will take any chance he has.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maddinson had a bumper shield season last year as an opener before dropping down this season and missing out when Puk started opening with Harris and not going out.

Maddinson is a good option who deserves another crack.

Midwinter

State Captain
Cooley has to be close to the biggest coaching fraud of all-time, and there's a lot of contenders there.

Just give the job to Ryano/McDermott FFS.
Australia has arguably the best bowling attack in test cricket,

Is Cooley a batting coach, cause if the batsmen could put up a decent score, Australia wins or at least draws the series

morgieb

Australia has arguably the best bowling attack in test cricket,

Is Cooley a batting coach, cause if the batsmen could put up a decent score, Australia wins or at least draws the series
Bowling.

I guess I'm just ****ty with him regarding the job he did in between the 2006/07 and 2010/11 Ashes series.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah, what I saw during this series was definitely not what I saw in the Shield. It felt that he wasn't really bowling to his strengths or to a plan, just trying to "impose himself on the game" by banging it in at a length when that's not actually his style. It's abundantly clear that the team had no clear idea on how to use him yet.

It's also, frankly, worse for his back if he bowls like that. I'm actually a little surprised he got through the entire series without picking up an injury.
yeah that would be real morkel hours and that's not what green should be used for

we had a bit of a chat about it in one of the match threads, that they shouldn't fall for the trap of letting the tall guy bowl back of a length and rack up plays and misses when he's much better at hucking it full and letting the ball move

stephen

Let's have another rant about Joe Burns' selection. Our selection culture takes the idea of incumbency far too seriously. If Smith has made that run of scores before the series, I could understand selecting him. But Burns is not clearly better than other candidates. I've supported him in the past despite his obvious technical flaws, but when you've got a batsman who, including against the attack he'll be facing in the tests, has made the run of scores he did and looked like a number 10, even on pitches where other batsmen made hay, you probably shouldn't pick them even if they are 'incumbent'.
It's especially infuriating when Langer publicly attacked Renshaw for low scores in the shield leading to him betting dumped for Langer's boy Bancroft. That worked out terribly for all involved except Langer.

Langer is the Teflon man of Australian cricket. I don't know how he continuously escapes public criticism for his utter failures.

Starfighter

Langer is the Teflon man of Australian cricket. I don't know how he continuously escapes public criticism for his utter failures.
He speaks in soundbites. People who say the right thing can get away with it. There's been myriad examples of this sort of thing during the pandemic. And he has establishment backing, something else important in escaping censure in these days.

stephen

He speaks in soundbites. People who say the right thing can get away with it. There's been myriad examples of this sort of thing during the pandemic.
Yeah I guess it's too much to expect some substance behind the vacuous dribble these days. Far too media managed.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
GAS contributes some good stuff but I agree with you

You don’t need to watch every minute of domestic to know that Joe Burns was horribly out of form & has a dodgy technique or that Marcus Harris is the same player he was a few months ago or that Warner wasn’t fit or that Starc was basically cooked after Sydney or that Wade is a bandaid
Honestly I agree on Burns, agree on Harris, mostly agree on Warner but was ok with it due to lack of alternatives, mostly disagree on Starc and strongly agree on Wade.

I just never support casting people aside without having a genuine alternative option

the big bambino

International Captain
As for Langer
He speaks in soundbites. People who say the right thing can get away with it. There's been myriad examples of this sort of thing during the pandemic. And he has establishment backing, something else important in escaping censure in these days.
I saw an example of this when Langer was being interviewed (during the bash I think) and he spoke in platitudes. Praising India and their courage, commiserating with his players, who "gave it their all" type of stuff. Talking to fill in time that could be used to ask pointed questions. Not that they were ever coming from his mates at the other end of the mic.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Langer is a good talker tbh, he says words like country, pride, honour, courage enough times and people think he knows his stuff.

His bias towards West Australian players is so bad that it has ensured, literally anyone who plays for West Australia has got a crack in the national side at the expense of some other guy.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The only thing worse than having langer as coach would be if he invited his big mate haydos to help